Thread: Nitrous install

Black
    97 firebird WS6

Nitrous install

Approximately how long does it take to install a complete nitrous kit including window switch and all the goodies (bottle warmer, purge, etc)?

White
    01 SS Vert

It took me a solid weekend, but at the same time, I was anal about wiring locations and trying to hide some of it on my last vehile. If you could care less about appearance - I've heard as little as 4 hours, but I call BS on that. Give yourself a solid day. It toom me a few hours just to mount the bottle bracket to my liking and run the line to the engine compartment.

I usually tell customers to expect it to be a weekend job. I would recommend throughout the week to just lay stuff out and figure out where you'd like to mount things so come the weekend, you're installing instead of looking.

Nick

98 Formula
    06 duramax

moving to the n2o section

4 hours with experience, soldered wires, heat shrink.

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

I spent most of a weekend on mine. My airbrushed bottle is mounted on the rear hump between the seats and the blow down was made by me to go out under the rear passenger seat. Arming, purge, & heater switches are on a panel I made for the ashtray. Purge is through the nostrils on my WS6 but had to avoid my BGRA set up that has the hood tight to the airbox. The wiring is hidden except where it goes to the actual WOT switch, etc. in the engine bay. I also installed custom covers (fuse boxes, PCM, and a couple of special made items for my intake/purge setup) during this same time. Depending on your setup and how many extra things you're doing at the same time, you could easily get it done in a day or less.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

It just depends on how good your skills are. . . . . . . . . . . For some wiring can take forever. BUT for those that aren't good at it it's MUCH better to take your time and do it correct versus quick and shitty.

I would plan on the vary least a solid day. If you don't have everything you need than more than likely a couple by the time you chase down parts.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Took a friend and I around a good 8 hours. Then the fun began...
    Just take your time and make sure you do it right, dont cut any corners to save 5 minutes.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

I Think, Therefore Z-28 Corvettekid82's Avatar

Triple Black
    2001 Z-28 Vert

A good 10 hours on my part. Thats including time to research a wiring diagram, test fit parts and decide on locations for everything. Give yourself the weekend and take it in 2 parts.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

im getting ready to install hsw 100 shot dry on the 98 ss. what did you guys use to make the bottle angle right when mounting it on the hump between the rear seats? I know they make something you can buy but i think it looks bad and wondered if theres something cheaper than $80 for that thing.

I Think, Therefore Z-28 Corvettekid82's Avatar

Triple Black
    2001 Z-28 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by jmatt07 View Post
    im getting ready to install hsw 100 shot dry on the 98 ss. what did you guys use to make the bottle angle right when mounting it on the hump between the rear seats? I know they make something you can buy but i think it looks bad and wondered if theres something cheaper than $80 for that thing.
    I believe any bottle brakets will do... they should be stepped in height. You may consider mounting to a thin sheet of wood hidden under the carpet. I'd be afraid to accidently hit the fuel tank underneath just drilling into the metal.

If you dont like it in the hatch, you always have the option to mount it in the spare tire area pretty easily.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

I was talking about mounting it on the hump between the rear seats. the hump like angles down so even with the brackets being stepped it isnt raised enough.

Black
    97 firebird WS6

I had my kit installed and they put it in the "well" in the rear hatch. Fits n looks great!

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

Not sure if there's anything cheaper unless you make something yourself. I used the mount from Nitrous Outlet (painted black) and the billet bracket from Harris Speed Works since I could get it in anodized black. Neither was cheap but was the look I wanted for my airbrushed bottle. If you've already searched here, try tech and you can find examples of what other people have done.

Awaiting Activation
    I was talking about mounting it on the hump between the rear seats. the hump like angles down so even with the brackets being stepped it isnt raised enough.

I put a piece of 2x4 under the carpet (screwed to floor) to lift up the front of the bottle up some. It took me 2 days to wire everything up and get the bugs out of it.

Thread Information