Thread: Nitrous

black
    98 ws6

Nitrous

im sure this has been posted before but i want to post this thread just so i can prove to my dad that it will work. over winter i plan to put longtube headers on it and get a 100 shot of nitrous. dad doesnt like the sound of it lol he says he has seen to many cars have problems but cant our motors take a 100 shot with it bein completely stock. a buddy of mine just did this to his ws6 and he is getting into the 11's and ye if its goin to cause problems i wont do it. i just like goin fast(on the track of course lol) and this just seems like a quick way while im in college but dont want to ruin my car any help would be appreciated thanks

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

You can do it, I am running a 100 shot right now and in the big picture its only a little over 10hp per piston. If you dont want to blow it up you need a tune! educate yourself, and install it with all the safety stuff and you will be fine. Were you going to go with a wet or dry shot? Or do you know the differance?

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

I dont and am thinking of a nitrous set up. but I dont know the difference. I am pushing over 450rwhp right now I was thinking of 100shot???

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

Wet kit is safer since it sprays fuel along with the nitrous into the intake to keep the motor from leaning out and blowing. Dry kits just spray nitrous before the MAF use the MAF to tune the extra fuel into the cylinders through the injectors, but if any problems with the MAF or injectors can lead to a blown engine.
    2000 Z28: Accufab 4150, Vic Jr. 150 shot, Patriot stg 2 heads, big cam, FLT Stg VI 4L60, S60 rear. Waaay more stuff to list. 3100 LBS.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yes your motor can SAFELY take a Baby 100 from a QUALITY KIT PROPERLY INSTALLED.

Tell your Dad this is what I do for a living and your "skirted blocked" LS1 can handle twice of what your talking about spraying. It uses a design similar to Big block Mopar with the block being longer and surrounding the crank which is why it's considered "skirted". This adds alot of strength/rigidness to keep everything square. Here is pic I included to give you a visual. Yeah this has a main girdle but it will give you an idea.

Tell Dad to get on here and read some of my post's in this section and I'm sure he will learn alot.

Believe me I know and have done it for years now.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

ok so if am running 11's and have a ms3 cam 2.5 5.3 heads and 36lb injectors along with slp oil pump,fast 92/92 and full bolt onns..what whould you get for a nitrous kit. i was thinkng a 150 wet kit??

Quote Originally Posted by adam0321 View Post
    ok so if am running 11's and have a ms3 cam 2.5 5.3 heads and 36lb injectors along with slp oil pump,fast 92/92 and full bolt onns..what whould you get for a nitrous kit. i was thinkng a 150 wet kit??
    What do you have for a fuel pump? If you have a 255lph with hotwire kit, you should be good to go. Take a look at some of our kits and let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

Matt

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

I have a stock fuel pump. didint know a different one was required. I just want to be able to runn 10's right now I am in the 11's high 11's but 11's none the less. so you tell me what I need. I dont want to fry the engine and it probaly wont be used that much. I can beat most of the stuff on the street na. and I dont race that much. but its nice to have an ace in your pocket.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by adam0321 View Post
    I have a stock fuel pump. didint know a different one was required. I just want to be able to runn 10's right now I am in the 11's high 11's but 11's none the less. so you tell me what I need. I dont want to fry the engine and it probaly wont be used that much. I can beat most of the stuff on the street na. and I dont race that much. but its nice to have an ace in your pocket.
    Yeah you should upgrade to a Walbro 255. This is the cheapest I know of right now. . . . . . . . . . http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...oducts_id=5337

Take a look at the racetronix kits...they're pretty easy to install and come with the needed hotwire kit. This way you'll be able to keep up with the increased fuel demands.

You'll also need a set of colder spark plugs such as the NGK TR6 plugs. Take a look at our All-Out accessory kit for a package deal on some of the required safety items as well as some accessories that will help get the most performance out of your kit. The key safety item being the MicroEDGE controller which has an integrated window switch and a/f shut off switch.

What were you looking at as far as a nitrous kit is concerned? Plate, nozzle, wet, or dry? There are quite a few options out there. One I like to recommend for the power level you're looking at would be our sudden impact wet plate kit. It features a full 360 degree perimeter style spray pattern for less turbulent intake charge compared to single/multi port spray pattern plates and offers a quick clean install.

If you have any other questions please feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Matt

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

matt thank you very much. I have alot of home work to do. I have not even gotten into plates,nozzle or any of that. I have the plugs and plug wires already. where are the fuel pumps in these cars are they in the tank? I will deff look into the kit you recomended as you deff seem to be an expert on the subject. Who fills bottles. I havent seen anyone around hear that would?? do they have to be sent off or what?

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

great if I get that kit. whichand has a great price on it. can I use this aswell? lhttp://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=235_84_521&products_id=1983 &osCsid=e09f17776cf7cfa8a525a82fcc74c5beooks
    do I need a nitrous controller and who tunes these kits?

Check with your local speed shop or welding supply store. Most of them refill bottles.

Fuel pump is in the tank. There are two ways to access it...cutting a panel in your hatch area or dropping the tank. I always recommend the later to keep stuff out of the tank and to avoid cutting any wires or lines. Do a search on here, there are some useful instructions.

Take a look at our switchplates as well...http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop/home.php?cat=316

Matt

Thread Information