Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White with Red strips
    1967 Camaro

Need exhaust help bad!!!!

Ok man, here is the deal, I have a 1967 Camaro with a LS1. Street & Performance headers not short, but not long either, NO cats, X-PIPE and its 2 1/2 pipe..... I put on 40 flowmasters like Ive always ran, but on this it sounds like shit... real crappy raspy sound while driving... At idle it sounds great.... SO, I now went back and had them cut out the flows and try Magnaflow, not as load but still sounds like SHIT!!! CAN IT BE THE X-PIPE!!!??? Ive NEVER had trouble with the Flowmaster before, and this is the first time I have had an X-pipe put in... SOME ONE PLEASE HELP!!!! This is costing me way tooooo much money!!!!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have heard that deleting the cats will cause a difference in exhaust tone. Does it do this on accel or decel?

White with Red strips
    1967 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I have heard that deleting the cats will cause a difference in exhaust tone. Does it do this on accel or decel?
    Only on Accel

White with Red strips
    1967 Camaro

About the 1000-1500 rpm range

White with Red strips
    1967 Camaro

might have a solution..
    Last edited by Cagefighter; 07-14-2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: in progress

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

I have no cats, x-pipe, and dynomax bullet mufflers with cones in them to tone down the rasp. Goggle "vortex dynatech" and you will see what cones I am talking about. Leave the exhaust you have on now, put the cones in, and send me the DVD player! You will be happy.

You can get them at summitracing.
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

White with Red strips
    1967 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    I have no cats, x-pipe, and dynomax bullet mufflers with cones in them to tone down the rasp. Goggle "vortex dynatech" and you will see what cones I am talking about. Leave the exhaust you have on now, put the cones in, and send me the DVD player! You will be happy.

Click for full size

You can get them at summitracing.

I will look into the cones.... Im going to put the flowmasters back on, I like them better then the magnaflows... If it works, the DVD player is yours...

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cagefighter View Post
    Ok man, here is the deal, I have a 1967 Camaro with a LS1. Street & Performance headers not short, but not long either, NO cats, X-PIPE and its 2 1/2 pipe..... I put on 40 flowmasters like Ive always ran, but on this it sounds like shit... real crappy raspy sound while driving... At idle it sounds great.... SO, I now went back and had them cut out the flows and try Magnaflow, not as load but still sounds like SHIT!!! CAN IT BE THE X-PIPE!!!??? Ive NEVER had trouble with the Flowmaster before, and this is the first time I have had an X-pipe put in... SOME ONE PLEASE HELP!!!! This is costing me way tooooo much money!!!!
    This one is simple . Throw that X-pipe in the corner , or garbage if your after good sounds . Replace with a quality H-pipe , then install a pair of Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers and enjoy that smooth FORD V-8 sound !
    Last edited by Z ROADSTER; 07-14-2009 at 07:16 PM.

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

I was only kidding about the DVD player....but seriously, I paid $120 for two cones can they with out a doubt stop any back firing, poping, or spiting noise! They toned down my exhaust to a nice deep sound.

White with Red strips
    1967 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    This one is simple . Through that X-pipe in the corner , or garbage if your after good sounds . Replace with a quality H-pipe , then install a pair of Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers and enjoy that smooth FORD V-8 sound !
    LOL... HE SAID FORD.... and smooth in the same sentence... LOL.. Just fooling... That was my next move... TOSS the X-PIPE.... do I need a h-pipe..? Or just stay straight pipe...?

White with Red strips
    1967 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    I was only kidding about the DVD player....but seriously, I paid $120 for two cones can they with out a doubt stop any back firing, poping, or spiting noise! They toned down my exhaust to a nice deep sound.
    I will give it a shot....

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

LOL... HE SAID FORD.... and smooth in the same sentence... LOL.. Just fooling... That was my next move... TOSS the X-PIPE.... do I need a h-pipe..? Or just stay straight pipe...?
    you don't need one with an ls1. the firing order of an ls1 does not completely "need" one. It does help with low end power, but it is quieter without one. I like the sound either way. I prefer with x-pipe personally.

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    you don't need one with an ls1. the firing order of an ls1 does not completely "need" one. It does help with low end power, but it is quieter without one. I like the sound either way. I prefer with x-pipe personally.
    Same here!

White with Red strips
    1967 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    I have a crap load of low end power, I cant tell the difference with it or when I didnt have one... Ive never had this issue with 40 flows before... as you can see, I dont have any probs with power...

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Cool

If you love a raspy sounding & loud exhaust either leave the X-pipe on or even worse run the straight pipe with neither but if you want some mid-range boost AND a really good sounding exhaust system then the H-pipe is a MUST !

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Where is the X-Pipe located?
    Where are the mufflers located?

I find it hard to believe Magnaflow's are raspy....with ANY dual system.
    The X-pipe must have a similar merge to that of the Flowmaster Y-pipe merge....which tends to create rasp.

I run a custom generic type X-pipe and Magnaflow 5x8 mufflers. X-pipe is just a touch after the typical 'Y-pipe merge' and the mufflers are out back.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

My 02 has QTP LT's with dual exhaust (dumped at the axle) and an X-pipe with Magnaflow mufflers and it's a very quiet system compared to some I've heard. No raspy tones at all.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    My 02 has QTP LT's with dual exhaust (dumped at the axle) and an X-pipe with Magnaflow mufflers and it's a very quiet system compared to some I've heard. No raspy tones at all.
    x2 i am not running duals but am running qtp longs with their catless y out to the magnaflows...and my car sounds pretty tame at times..but orgasmic when i hit the throttle and idle sounds really good..really smooth...no rasp...its tame enough where i have no problem driving or idling by cops but it loud enough to let people know there is a little something extra

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

I have a crap load of low end power, I cant tell the difference with it or when I didnt have one... Ive never had this issue with 40 flows before... as you can see, I dont have any probs with power...
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    like I said. lol. not completely needed. With ls1 there is even less of a difference without an x-pipe.

Thread Information