Black
    2000 Trans Am

Miles, wear and tear with N2O

I'm getting a bottle set up this week along with my stall, intake, pushrods and a full tune. The Trans Am has 120,000 miles, mostly highway miles and the transmission still feels really solid. With full bolt ons and dual exhasut and a tune I'm thinking that I should only run a 100 shot, but the guy thats setting me up says it should be able to handle up to a 200 shot easy. With the miles on it would it be safe to run it with the 200 shot on it or is that going to be too much?

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

I'm going to go with too much. I don't know much about N2O, but you might want to be careful with it.

arctic white
    97 firebird

as long as you have never had any problems with the motor and trans and atleast been rebuilt it can handle it but never run a whore engine on n20...

I would do a leak down to verify all cylinders are strong prior to running that large of a shot on a motor with that many miles. You'll also need to verify that your fuel system will be up to the challenge.

My advice would be to stick with the 100 shot first and see how you like it.

Matt

Yeah at 120k it is better to leave it at 100. I'm at 118k and had 6 bottles through it so far. 125 would be nice but not with these miles.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@HSW View Post
    I would do a leak down to verify all cylinders are strong prior to running that large of a shot on a motor with that many miles. You'll also need to verify that your fuel system will be up to the challenge.

My advice would be to stick with the 100 shot first and see how you like it.

Matt
    Yeah, just had a new higher volume fuel pump and wire installed when the 9" was going in.

Red
    01 z28

Hell it all depends on how long you want it to last. N2o is a guessing game you play and with most engines regardless of power adder (charger or n20) you want to play you must pay... Don't get your expectations to high. I spray 150 shot through mine and consider myself lucky every time mine stays runnin after I beat on it.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Milage has nothing to do with how much you should spray. I've been spraying a 200 dry out of the gate for a couple months with 129,xxx miles on the odometer. I've been having problems with traction so I have been contemplating on 100 dry out of the gate followed by another 150 wet on a window switch. I am on a 100% stock bottom end and only spin it to 6500 rpm.

If it blows up, I have a different car for a DD and have the money for another engine.

White
    99Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 02blkws6 View Post
    Milage has nothing to do with how much you should spray. I've been spraying a 200 dry out of the gate for a couple months with 129,xxx miles on the odometer. I've been having problems with traction so I have been contemplating on 100 dry out of the gate followed by another 150 wet on a window switch. I am on a 100% stock bottom end and only spin it to 6500 rpm.

If it blows up, I have a different car for a DD and have the money for another engine.
    Must be nice

red
    1998 z28

more power = shorter life
    Chevy - Camaro and other cars video collection

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Well to be honest on STOCK short blocks high mileage STOCK ring packs work better than low mileage. That being said doesn't address scaring in the cylinders which will add to blow by. We usually prefer higher mileage short blocks for 175+.

As Matt said do a leak down AFTER you SEAFOAM the motor and change the oil. The LS motors have a problem with consuming oil through the pcv system which causes build up in the rings and rind lands which causes sticking and loss in tension.

Put a 255 Walbro a set of AR93 plugs and a good wet plate jetted at 175. And if tuned and installed properly it will last for years of fun.

Been doing it for over 10 years now with NO issues.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

White
    99Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Well to be honest on STOCK short blocks high mileage STOCK ring packs work better than low mileage. That being said doesn't address scaring in the cylinders which will add to blow by. We usually prefer higher mileage short blocks for 175+.

As Matt said do a leak down AFTER you SEAFOAM the motor and change the oil. The LS motors have a problem with consuming oil through the pcv system which causes build up in the rings and rind lands which causes sticking and loss in tension.

Put a 255 Walbro a set of AR93 plugs and a good wet plate jetted at 175. And if tuned and installed properly it will last for years of fun.

your tune must be a beast

BLACK
    1999 PONTIAC TRANS AM

I Agree I`ve Been Spray An N/x Wet Kit 175 Shot On A Bone Stock 99 Ls1 T/a With 137,000 Miles And No Prob With Smoke Or Blow By. It Really Runs Great For All Stock...and I Mean All The Same Stuff That Gm Put On It As It Rolled Out The Door Minus The 4:11 Gears It Runs 11:90`s @ 117 On The Bottle And Slicks....

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post

Would adding fuel additives help stop binding and loss in tension?
    Like the ones that Sarge has been testing?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by xzaero0 View Post
    After SeaFoaming and cleaning the ring packs and ring lands Yes adding the @ 2 cycle oil will aid in keeping clean. Make sure it is TC W3 (ashless).

But the other thing you want to do is add some type of separator to keep that oil mist from being consumed through the intake. Oil in the combustion chamber = detonation.

I usually use air compressor water separator filters. You can get them cheap ($25) @ Lowe's or Home Depot from Cambell Hausfeld. Just make sure you get the 3/8 npt model and not the 1/2 npt.You will need two fittings with male 3/8 pipe to 3/8" hose barb. Then I will take a long piece of 3/8 pcv hose and hide it behind the battery. This will need to be emptied Every time you change the oil. It turn it will keep the oil from being consumed through the motor.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by xzaero0 View Post
    yeah i'm wondering that one to

Thread Information