Mystic Teal
    1999 Trans am

How many rebuilds/Blown engines?

I have a filled bottle of nitrous in my basement which I never got the chance to hook up because one of my old roomate's friends jacked the controller and wiring for it at a party. Anyway I was thinking about hooking it up, but first I was wondering how many of you have ever had to rebuild your engine or had major engine damage from nitrous. My kit was originally for a 75hp dry shot, but now that the hardware is gone I was thinking about buying a setup for a 100hp wet shot. Just wondering what your thoughts were and if you have any horror stories before I do.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SP33Daddict View Post
    I have a filled bottle of nitrous in my basement which I never got the chance to hook up because one of my old roomate's friends jacked the controller and wiring for it at a party. Anyway I was thinking about hooking it up, but first I was wondering how many of you have ever had to rebuild your engine or had major engine damage from nitrous. My kit was originally for a 75hp dry shot, but now that the hardware is gone I was thinking about buying a setup for a 100hp wet shot. Just wondering what your thoughts were and if you have any horror stories before I do.
    Last I have read and checked on you don't have to retard the timing until 150 shot, and you retard it 1* for every 25 after that. Plus you will need to run a colder plug the tr-6's will work, what kind of set up is it?

Use the search botton
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

silver
    1986 camaro

100 shot wont hurt your engine. as long as you have it set up correctly. I prefer a wet kit.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 1nasty86 View Post
    100 shot wont hurt your engine. as long as you have it set up correctly. I prefer a wet kit.
    I def would go with a wet kit, and have a tuner retune everything for you cause the dry kit relies on your mass air flow to do the adjusting!!

just becareful cause with that 100 shot of NOS it might just blow the welds on your intake...... !!! or may even FRY the piston rings .....

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

+1 for timing control from 150 shot and up. I broke a piston and split the block in three places around the cylinder.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseburger View Post
    just becareful cause with that 100 shot of NOS it might just blow the welds on your intake...... !!! or may even FRY the piston rings .....
    If the kit is properly installed, and the car is tuned for the spray then you shouldn't have a problem with a 100 shot on our cars!!

Black
    1999 WS6

Go wet, wetter is better anyway...oh that's pussy. sorry.
    uh back to the thread, I only blew up 2 intakes on a HSW set up. I got it tuned and now she's good for 250.
    I never had an engine problem and have 1000's of miles on the bottle use before even having it tuned. Still uses no oil between changes either and its around 70k on the od.
    It's a nice kick in the ass and is really good to have on board with these new 5.0's out and about.
    1999 WS6 - Black - 414rwhp 401rwtq w/o NOS
    632rwhp 577rwtq with HSW 250shot NOS

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I've done TONS of researching and have gotten only 5-10% of actual reliable info. This, coming from people who started out like you and me, and since, have rides as fast as 7.70s on spray (1/4 mile of course).

I ended up going with the HSW 78mm "Sudden Impact" Wet Kit. I'm on 100shot pills, and have only been able to get 3 runs in, before my bottle ran out, as I bought my kit used (got a killer deal). If I hadn't bought it used, I would've bought the same kit anyways, just wouldn't have coined up for the bottle heater/window switch/purge solenoid. Anyways, I'm at 167k miles, plugs have 80k on them, with orginal wires. Car doesn't seem to run the best at a warm idle in gear, so I'm sure it's due for a tune-up. Still didn't stop me from spraying it after hours of trying to get the entire kit wired up

Anyways, I went out and bought TR6s, which I've now decided will go on my other ride, and I'll opt to put the BR7EFs in the one with spray. They always say, if you have any doubts, go an extra step colder. Alot of guys seem to like to pull timing 2 degrees for 100shot, but my buddies with LS1s, have never done it with theirs. I'll throw the #7s in, upgrade to MSD wires, and do a fuel pressure check on it before I re-fill the bottle and spray it again just to be safe.

Take this info FWIW

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    I've done TONS of researching and have gotten only 5-10% of actual reliable info. This, coming from people who started out like you and me, and since, have rides as fast as 7.70s on spray (1/4 mile of course).

I ended up going with the HSW 78mm "Sudden Impact" Wet Kit. I'm on 100shot pills, and have only been able to get 3 runs in, before my bottle ran out, as I bought my kit used (got a killer deal). If I hadn't bought it used, I would've bought the same kit anyways, just wouldn't have coined up for the bottle heater/window switch/purge solenoid. Anyways, I'm at 167k miles, plugs have 80k on them, with orginal wires. Car doesn't seem to run the best at a warm idle in gear, so I'm sure it's due for a tune-up. Still didn't stop me from spraying it after hours of trying to get the entire kit wired up

Anyways, I went out and bought TR6s, which I've now decided will go on my other ride, and I'll opt to put the BR7EFs in the one with spray. They always say, if you have any doubts, go an extra step colder. Alot of guys seem to like to pull timing 2 degrees for 100shot, but my buddies with LS1s, have never done it with theirs. I'll throw the #7s in, upgrade to MSD wires, and do a fuel pressure check on it before I re-fill the bottle and spray it again just to be safe.

Take this info FWIW
    It has been proven that you dont have to pull timing until 150 shot, you pull one degree for every 25 shot after that. You should not be running your plugs for 80k and on the original wires, also the tr6 plugs will do just fine for a 100 shot!!! And I am guess you running the plugs on original wires for as long as you have your looking to not have performance!! Take that information FWIW!!

2000 Ws6

agreed

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseburger View Post
    or worse yet that panel on the floor of our cars that has like 30 bolts might rattle loose

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    It has been proven that you dont have to pull timing until 150 shot, you pull one degree for every 25 shot after that. You should not be running your plugs for 80k and on the original wires, also the tr6 plugs will do just fine for a 100 shot!!! And I am guess you running the plugs on original wires for as long as you have your looking to not have performance!! Take that information FWIW!!
    Read my entire post

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

ORGINAL STATEMENT...

......Anyways, I'm at 167k miles, plugs have 80k on them, with orginal wires. Car doesn't seem to run the best at a warm idle in gear, so I'm sure it's due for a tune-up. Still didn't stop me from spraying it after hours of trying to get the entire kit wired up
    You should not be running your plugs for 80k and on the original wires, also the tr6 plugs will do just fine for a 100 shot!!! And I am guess you running the plugs on original wires for as long as you have your looking to not have performance!! Take that information FWIW!!
    You must've stopped reading

ALSO ORGINAL STATEMENT.... Just a little further down...

.....Anyways, I went out and bought TR6s, which I've now decided will go on my other ride, and I'll opt to put the BR7EFs in the one with spray. They always say, if you have any doubts, go an extra step colder. Alot of guys seem to like to pull timing 2 degrees for 100shot, but my buddies with LS1s, have never done it with theirs. I'll throw the #7s in, upgrade to MSD wires, and do a fuel pressure check on it before I re-fill the bottle and spray it again just to be safe.

Take this info FWIW
    ----------

So in a nutshell... you're telling me I'm an idiot and must not be looking for performance because I was "hot to trot" and wanted to feel the kit after I got it installed:Confused: As you can see, see it seems I'm having to point things out lately, I ALSO... ALSO... stated, I've ALREADY purchased the #6s, but have decided to go to #7s, since I'm stepping up to a 150. What I didn't say, was that I plan on going bigger, if I can't blow it up doing a 150. But that's a whole nother story

Then you want to offer your first hand experience and advice on what you seem to know. I'm assuming this, because of how you worded it. Am I wrong? Because I definately stated what I've heard from other people spraying, and what I've seen with my own eyes at the track with close friends. This is all timing related. Sure, some don't feel it to be necessary, others do.

Let's take this for example. Joe has a 10 bolt with 2.73s. Bill has a 10 bolt with 2.73s. Joe went a season and a half with full exhaust, DRs, 3600 stall, and DRs, launching off the kit running 7.40s/7.30s. He's gone a season and half doing this, before his rear has seemed to have grenaded. Bill has DRs with full exhaust, a tune, and no nitrous, and only went half a season before his grenaded. Would you like to know why I use this? Because "Joe" would happen to be my buddy with that same exact setup, and that's the length of time he went before he HAD to invest in a 12 bolt. "Bill"? Yeah... that would be me and my setup a few years back. Every car responds differently, and you don't know what the car has been through if you didn't purchase it brand new. He never pulled timing for his 125 shot either... but to say it's not necessary all the way up to 150? HA! Do me a favor. You don't know how much money this member has in his car, or how much he values it. Don't tell him something that more than a handful of people would disagree with you on, with those people ALSO claiming that they have proof of it too. Rather, why don't you tell this member to talk to his local tuner, and see what his tuner has to say.

Now here I sit, with a kit of my own, doing my own testing. How has yours been so far? What kit do you have? How big of a shot are you running? What plugs are you running with the shot you have?

Last edited by MrMasterCraft; 02-08-2011 at 04:50 PM.

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

ORGINAL STATEMENT...

You must've stopped reading

ALSO ORGINAL STATEMENT.... Just a little further down...

----------

So in a nutshell... you're telling me I'm an idiot and must not be looking for performance because I was "hot to trot" and wanted to feel the kit after I got it installed:Confused: As you can see, see it seems I'm having to point things out lately, I ALSO... ALSO... stated, I've ALREADY purchased the #6s, but have decided to go to #7s, since I'm stepping up to a 150. What I didn't say, was that I plan on going bigger, if I can't blow it up doing a 150. But that's a whole nother story

Then you want to offer your first hand experience and advice on what you seem to know. I'm assuming this, because of how you worded it. Am I wrong? Because I definately stated what I've heard from other people spraying, and what I've seen with my own eyes at the track with close friends. This is all timing related. Sure, some don't feel it to be necessary, others do.

Let's take this for example. Joe has a 10 bolt with 2.73s. Bill has a 10 bolt with 2.73s. Joe went a season and a half with full exhaust, DRs, 3600 stall, and DRs, launching off the kit running 7.40s/7.30s. He's gone a season and half doing this, before his rear has seemed to have grenaded. Bill has DRs with full exhaust, a tune, and no nitrous, and only went half a season before his grenaded. Would you like to know why I use this? Because "Joe" would happen to be my buddy with that same exact setup, and that's the length of time he went before he HAD to invest in a 12 bolt. "Bill"? Yeah... that would be me and my setup a few years back. Every car responds differently, and you don't know what the car has been through if you didn't purchase it brand new. He never pulled timing for his 125 shot either... but to say it's not necessary all the way up to 150? HA! Do me a favor. You don't know how much money this member has in his car, or how much he values it. Don't tell him something that more than a handful of people would disagree with you on, with those people ALSO claiming that they have proof of it too. Rather, why don't you tell this member to talk to his local tuner, and see what his tuner has to say.

Now here I sit, with a kit of my own, doing my own testing. How has yours been so far? What kit do you have? How big of a shot are you running? What plugs are you running with the shot you have?

Chill out dude lol, I didn't mean anything personal by it, and I haven't been on here since last friday. And I am not getting into an argument I must have misinterpreted some of the stuff. And the tr-6 plugs do just fine btw!!

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Chill out dude lol, I didn't mean anything personal by it, and I haven't been on here since last friday. And I am not getting into an argument I must have misinterpreted some of the stuff. And the tr-6 plugs do just fine btw!!
    Your info, FWIW, is not very credible. I'm not taking it personally... but the guy that's running 100-150 might take it personally if his engine grenades in due time, due to a plug that is barely beyond slightly colder than a factory plug. That's all...

TO THE OP - If you're doing nothing more than a 100 shot, you can surely get away with the TR6, so long as the car is still on a factory tune. Just not really a nitrous designed plug. Gap it around .032-.035 and I would watch A/F ratio, injector duty cycle and fuel pressure, if any of those are possible

Thread Information