black
    2002 camaro ss slp

First time nitrous installer in need of advice

Hello, I am the owner of a 2002 camaro ss and looking to install a nitrous system. I have done my research but am still looking from a little bit of advice from someone that has more experience. I am currently leaning towards this system Holley Performance Products GM EFI Nitrous System 05177NOS

So really my main questions are:

1. Is this kit something I should go with or are there better options on the market? Also is it reasonably straightforward to install for someone who has never dealt with these systems before, particularly when it comes to wiring.
    2. For a 75 hp shot would tuning adjustments be necessary or is a stock tune acceptable?
    3. What else would I need to buy with it initially? I know I need to buy a blow down kit and a rpm/wot window switch..is there anything else I would need initially? I know there are other items such as bottle heaters, purge systems etc, but If I could make due without some of these items at least initially that would be helpful.

and really just any other information that you feel I should know.

Thank you very much for any and all advice you can give me, like I said i'm completely new to the world of nitrous but am looking to get involved and figure this is the best place to learn before I jump right into it.

black
    2001 camaro ss

looks like a fairly simple kit to install. i would also say a bottle pressure gauge and heater is a cheap must because A "shot" is rated at 950 psi bottle pressure. On a hot day with a full bottle you may see 1200 psi or more and on all stock set up will have you likely run lean and well. . . you know.you will also want to run 1 or two stages colder on the plugs and take the gap down to around .040"

As with ANY performance upgrade a tune optimizes performance and and safety but i have ran up to a 125 without a tune on stock injectors and stock fuel pump without issues.

As a general rule of thumb for timing: 75shot -0* then pull 2* for every 50more ie 125shot -2* 175 -4* once you do a good 3rd gear nitrous pull stop and read your plugs you will be able to tell if your getting detonation. and be sure to always run premium fuel higher octane prevents detonation . also change your fuel filter more often because you that is the one system that you want to be at 100% and not straining to keep up because your filter is getting clogged, once again leading to being lean while on the bottle.

between the colder plugs, good fuel, and and not spraying over 1000psi you should be able to stay away from running to lean or getting detonation wich are the two things that give nitrous a bad rap. another questions just as, just please be patient while waiting on a reply simply because im in afghanistan and dont always have the ability to access the computer every night.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

I'm sure this kit comes with the WOT switch to activate it but a RPM window switch is also good insurance
    I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

My Cardomain Site My Fquick site Custom Installs

Black
    2002 WS6

I did a thread years ago called nitrous for the novice you can probably find it under my profile. Not sure why it didn't make sticky status but you're on the rightbtrack and I've sprayed over 50 times with tr6. At .035 gap out the box.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I would look into nitrousoutlet. There kits are amazing and so is there customer service. When I decided to spray my car I was originally going with a harris speed wet plate kit but got very bad serivce. I talked to them at nitrous outlet and I did further research on them and found out about how good they are. As far as installing goes take your time and it can definitely be done the wiring is pretty easy also

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Its also worth getting it tuned for any shot you put on the car. Its better to be safe than sorry.

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

From what I understand, a timing controller is the way to go... If you get your car tuned for nitrous, you'll suffer major off the bottle losses... The timing controller works in conjunction w/ your n20 solenoid and will retard your timing when you're on the bottle, as opposed to a tune that will always be retarded.. (ha ha) I have a Zex wet kit, and it has a fuel and nitrous solenoid and WOT switch all in one box... haven't hooked it up yet cuz I haven't gotten the heater, purge kit, nor timing controller... but it looks pretty on the shelf... I could be wrong, but it's how I understood...

Thread Information