Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

Arrow Fear the bottle or fear your tune?

"Fear the bottle or fear your tune?"

Explain.

I'm looking into nitrous and would like to know the whole theory behind that.

00 Z28 M6 T-tops
    00 SS A4 T-tops (Sold)
    99 Corvette M6 (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 Coupe (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 T-tops (Sold)

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

too much timing can cause detonation which messes up engine parts. i've been up to 150 on stock tune. nothing to fear about nitrous itself, other than solenoid not working.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

consider me a newbie on nitrous.

what happens when the solenoid doesn't work?
    how can you tell?

150 on stock tune? .... didn't you have to add extra fuel psi or bigger injectors?

If anyone has any links to informative pages that'd be great too... or links within this site.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by b.lee View Post
    consider me a newbie on nitrous.

what happens when the solenoid doesn't work?
    how can you tell?

150 on stock tune? .... didn't you have to add extra fuel psi or bigger injectors?

If anyone has any links to informative pages that'd be great too... or links within this site.
    should have specified. i run wet kits. so, no need for larger injectors and fuel pump.

if a fuel solenoid doesn't open, it will go real lean and damage the motor, if not caught quick enough. if the nitrous solenoid doesn't open, then you'll go rich and the car will nose over. no damage.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

Quote Originally Posted by b.lee View Post
    Hit that search button up top there has been tons of threads started with newbs to N20 asking the same Qs.

Midnight blue metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by 98T/Aformula. View Post
    Hit that search button up top there has been tons of threads started with newbs to N20 asking the same Qs.
    Sorry, I just gotta say, I've searched, havn't seen these 'tons of threads' on nitrous here you speak of.. I see 1 page on topic. Total. Everyone was new to N20 at one point. If you've got any info/experience, can you share it? I'm sure all the 'noobs' researching this would appreciate your input if you do!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

It comes from idiots over the years that are clueless and buy a used nitrous kit try to install themselves and blow there shit up. Now they tell everyone nitrous is bad and not safe.

VERY UN-TRUE IN MY EDUCATED OPINION!!

I have been playing with nitrous for 15 years now and NEVER once had a single backfire. Yeah I have nipped some plugs (burning the ground electrode off) in my day and blown some stock head gaskets. But I can also say I have NEVER had a WOT switch or window switch on any of MY cars. There is also a myth about not being able to hit the nitrous under 3000 rpm. Yeah that is a nice insurance plan for safety if your not sure of the tune. I have hit MANY cars at idle and will continue to do so without any fear of damage.

Nitrous is like anything else........ People that don't know it are scared of it do to all the BS horror story's that are out there.
    Nitrous technology has come along way since they were using kits on the planes in WWII. Shit I blew 250 through a dual plane Performer RPM for over a year (130+ bottles) from 1600rpm without even a nipped plug. That would have NEVER been possible with the old style spray-bar plates.

As I have said MANY times before on here dry kits are only for rental cars. I use wet kits on 98% of what I do.

LS motors are great for the bottle and can handle more than most think due to the fact they are a "skirted" block which keeps things from flexing so much which aids in Many ways. I'll tell you first hand a stock LS motor will take years of 200 shot abuse with the correct tune and kit. The key is distribution and A/F ratio.

Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    It comes from idiots over the years that are clueless and buy a used nitrous kit try to install themselves and blow there shit up. Now they tell everyone nitrous is bad and not safe.

VERY UN-TRUE IN MY EDUCATED OPINION!!

I have been playing with nitrous for 15 years now and NEVER once had a single backfire. Yeah I have nipped some plugs (burning the ground electrode off) in my day and blown some stock head gaskets. But I can also say I have NEVER had a WOT switch or window switch on any of MY cars. There is also a myth about not being able to hit the nitrous under 3000 rpm. Yeah that is a nice insurance plan for safety if your not sure of the tune. I have hit MANY cars at idle and will continue to do so without any fear of damage.

Nitrous is like anything else........ People that don't know it are scared of it do to all the BS horror story's that are out there.
    Nitrous technology has come along way since they were using kits on the planes in WWII. Shit I blew 250 through a dual plane Performer RPM for over a year (130+ bottles) from 1600rpm without even a nipped plug. That would have NEVER been possible with the old style spray-bar plates.

As I have said MANY times before on here dry kits are only for rental cars. I use wet kits on 98% of what I do.

LS motors are great for the bottle and can handle more than most think due to the fact they are a "skirted" block which keeps things from flexing so much which aids in Many ways. I'll tell you first hand a stock LS motor will take years of 200 shot abuse with the correct tune and kit. The key is distribution and A/F ratio.

I would echo almost every single point in this post... kinda scary and I tell people the same things.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I would echo almost every single point in this post... kinda scary and I tell people the same things.
    Yes I think we view many things in the same light.

I get soooo tired of hearing BS horror stories! Used to make me somewhat mad now I just laugh.

for sure fear your tune. timing and AFR are the name of the game.

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by jed.only View Post
    for sure fear your tune. timing and AFR are the name of the game.
    what should the afr be for a stock ls1 I dynoed my car and they stuck a breather in on of my exhaust pipes and told me mine was about 11.83:1 is that too learn. I put in a slp maf and not sure it it's running it too lean I started my car up yesterday and It backfired on my for the first time kinda scared me. At the same time I put some of that lube control fs Plus in my gas tank to clean the system could that be a source of the backfire.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaro View Post
    what should the afr be for a stock ls1 I dynoed my car and they stuck a breather in on of my exhaust pipes and told me mine was about 11.83:1 is that too learn. I put in a slp maf and not sure it it's running it too lean I started my car up yesterday and It backfired on my for the first time kinda scared me. At the same time I put some of that lube control fs Plus in my gas tank to clean the system could that be a source of the backfire.
    No that's on the rich side. The lower the number the richer. Max power is around 12.6. It all personal opinion I would set it up around 12.3-12.5 on the bottle.

silver
    98 ss camaro

No that's on the rich side. The lower the number the richer. Max power is around 12.6. It all personal opinion I would set it up around 12.3-12.5 on the bottle.
    I put the stock maf in seems a little better but I mean could be all in my head I was going to track this sunday was thinking of bringing both. Drive up on stock and do 2 runs stock maf and 2 runs with the slp maf how long do I need to have the car run for it to adapt to the slp maf or is that pretty instant. The stock maf looks so small compaired to the the slp maf especially because I have the lid and smooth bellows I had to really tighten the rubber tubes because the stock one is a good size smaller. Whats the best way to clean the stock maf I dont' know if it's ever been cleaned and I have a 134xxx on that maf.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaro View Post
    I put the stock maf in seems a little better but I mean could be all in my head I was going to track this sunday was thinking of bringing both. Drive up on stock and do 2 runs stock maf and 2 runs with the slp maf how long do I need to have the car run for it to adapt to the slp maf or is that pretty instant. The stock maf looks so small compaired to the the slp maf especially because I have the lid and smooth bellows I had to really tighten the rubber tubes because the stock one is a good size smaller. Whats the best way to clean the stock maf I dont' know if it's ever been cleaned and I have a 134xxx on that maf.
    Go to Radio Shack and buy some circuit board cleaner/electrical contact cleaner. Only spray it off don't try to wipe it or scrub with anything.
    Leave the stock MAF and you'll be fine.

I hope you look at the pics I have posted in many threads about what plug you should be running. And visually seen the difference between a real Race style plug and that plane jane NGK the bandwagon recommends.

silver
    98 ss camaro

Go to Radio Shack and buy some circuit board cleaner/electrical contact cleaner. Only spray it off don't try to wipe it or scrub with anything.
    Leave the stock MAF and you'll be fine.

I hope you look at the pics I have posted in many threads about what plug you should be running. And visually seen the difference between a real Race style plug and that plane jane NGK the bandwagon recommends.
    So just spray down the connections or whole thing sorry new to this and what plug are you talking about the plug into the maf I still have the stock plug in there.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Spary the inside of the MAF.

I'm referring to the Spark Plugs.

AUTOLITE RACE PLUG (AR93) ON THE LEFT. NGK TR55 ON THE RIGHT.
    You tell me. There is a reason the NGK's are available at any parts store. They are a plane jane replacement spark plug. It still blows my mind at how many think they are a great nitous plug.
    A true "nitrous" plug needs to be designed to handle extreme cylinder pressures not just a colder heat range stock plug. Yeah they work but that doesn't mean squat. I also blow 300 through stock motors but that doesn't make it right.

The plug you should run with 150 or less is the next one up from the one in the pic a AR94. Anything more than 150 you should go with the AR93.

silver
    98 ss camaro

Spary the inside of the MAF.

I'm referring to the Spark Plugs.

Click for full size

AUTOLITE RACE PLUG (AR93) ON THE LEFT. NGK TR55 ON THE RIGHT.
    You tell me. There is a reason the NGK's are available at any parts store. They are a plane jane replacement spark plug. It still blows my mind at how many think they are a great nitous plug.
    A true "nitrous" plug needs to be designed to handle extreme cylinder pressures not just a colder heat range stock plug. Yeah they work but that doesn't mean squat. I also blow 300 through stock motors but that doesn't make it right.

The plug you should run with 150 or less is the next one up from the one in the pic a AR94. Anything more than 150 you should go with the AR93.
    I see no spray yet here I'm in cali that's just asking for trouble, so just take the maf out and spray it down and let it air dry gotcha, and what plugs do you like I got the car with 80k did the plugs at 90k got a hold of the original owner he never changed them still had the ac delco in there So I figured shit if they ran fine for 90k then there pretty good. So I Just just got some ac delco stock replacement ones and some msd wires when I changed mine.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Well I would at least close down the gap on your plugs to aid. But if it were me I would replace them with the AutoLite AR94 plugs gaped @.038. But until you have a nitrous kit ready to use than it's NOT needed.

Radio Shack has that spray in CA.-FL. That first 80,000 miles was with NO nitrous also. Those stock plugs are pretty high in the heat range. Did you check the gap on each one or just put them in? Also did you put any anti-seize on the threads?

On the CA comment about the bottle I hide it all in the stock air box. You can also hide the bottle in the rear behind the passenger rear trim panel. Been through many road side inspections with NO detection. And did a nice nitrous hole shot as soon as the copper left.......... I hope he enjoyed those 200ft posi's. LOL

silver
    98 ss camaro

Well I would at least close down the gap on your plugs to aid. But if it were me I would replace them with the AutoLite AR94 plugs gaped @.038. But until you have a nitrous kit ready to use than it's NOT needed.

Radio Shack has that spray in CA.-FL. That first 80,000 miles was with NO nitrous also. Those stock plugs are pretty high in the heat range. Did you check the gap on each one or just put them in? Also did you put any anti-seize on the threads?

On the CA comment about the bottle I hide it all in the stock air box. You can also hide the bottle in the rear behind the passenger rear trim panel. Been through many road side inspections with NO detection. And did a nice nitrous hole shot as soon as the copper left.......... I hope he enjoyed those 200ft posi's. LOL
    lol nice no just put some anti seize on them and stuck them in gm parts guy told me they we're pre gaped and set I check the first 4 they where good so I just threw em in. Car ran a little smoother then before so I took it as job went well. Good idea with the hiding spot.

Fear the tune fo sho!

Guys like to "leave it safe" there is no safe tune on nitrous only the right tune!

Thread Information