Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Does NOS Raise Your Compression

This is a discussion on Does NOS Raise Your Compression within the Nitrous forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever lol... thanks for the info and the pic. how long will the plugs be good if ...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever View Post
    lol... thanks for the info and the pic. how long will the plugs be good if i am spraying? does it affect plug life?
    It does if you go lean....... You'll what we refer as nip a plug. It will actually melt the ground strap off.

If it's tuned properly they will last you a while. I had mine in on 175 plus for 75 bottles worth and I changed them out of safety nothing to do with plug failure. I run AR93's on anything with 150 or more.
    Yeah that other ? you had I would say it's addictive and like anything else that baby 100 will be like nothing after a couple weeks and you'll be changing out those jets for 150's.
    I would buy a plate to and replace the single nozzle if thats what you have now. Yeah they work but it's not the best distribution from cylinder to cylinder. I like spraying behind the throttle body NOT in front of it.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    I like spraying behind the throttle body NOT in front of it.
    Why is that?

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Better cylinder distribution because u get the turbulence from the butterfly working for you to disperse the nitrous better....

But plate systems in general simply by design spray more evenly than a single wet or dry port setup.

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Better cylinder distribution because u get the turbulence from the butterfly working for you to disperse the nitrous better....

But plate systems in general simply by design spray more evenly than a single wet or dry port setup.
    nice thanks for the info bud... but are the nx mass air flow ones alright? that is the one i just bought last week....? all i have heard are ood things about them?

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by 02blkws6 View Post
    NOS is a namebrand or ricer terminology. N2O is the correct abbreviation for Nitrous Oxide. N2O iscreases the amount of O2 in the cylinder raising the fuel requirements. When you use N2O you need to add more fuel and reduce timing.
    ok sorry to high jack but how does N20 increase the 02? im sorry but from what i know you cannot infuse 2 oxygen together with out a bonding agent.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

I repeat, ROFLMGDAO!

And yes, dont worry. Your dry setup will work fine too, just remember to bump your fuel pump up too.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Here is a AutoLite race plug that has had some nipping on it from detonation heat. This was getting 275 shot right out of the gate off the foot brake.

Nitrous oxide is made up of 2 molecules of nitrogen and one molecule of oxygen (36% oxygen by weight). During the combustion process, at about 570 degrees F, nitrous breaks down and releases oxygen. This extra oxygen creates additional power by enabling more fuel to be burned. Nitrogen acts to buffer the increased cylinder pressures helping to control the combustion process. Nitrous also has a tremendous "cooling" effect by reducing air intake charge temperatures by 55 to 85 degrees F.

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Here is a AutoLite race plug that has had some nipping on it from detonation heat. This was getting 275 shot right out of the gate off the foot brake.
    Click for full size

Nitrous oxide is made up of 2 molecules of nitrogen and one molecule of oxygen (36% oxygen by weight). During the combustion process, at about 570 degrees F, nitrous breaks down and releases oxygen. This extra oxygen creates additional power by enabling more fuel to be burned. Nitrogen acts to buffer the increased cylinder pressures helping to control the combustion process. Nitrous also has a tremendous "cooling" effect by reducing air intake charge temperatures by 55 to 85 degrees F.
    that is such a tight qoute on the notrious break down... If you look on my profile im a teacher, and i went to the science teachers in the building to ask them if Nitrious would raise your engine compression before i talked with you guys and nobody could explain what N20 does as a chemical... 4 years of college and 30,000 dollars later HERE IS YOUR SIGN.... thanks guys this thread is pretty bad ass...!

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

It's called a chemical reaction.

Cut and paste off interweb...

When you heat nitrous oxide to about 570 degrees F (~300 C), it splits into oxygen and nitrogen. So the injection of nitrous oxide into an engine means that more oxygen is available during combustion. Because you have more oxygen, you can also inject more fuel, allowing the same engine to produce more power. Nitrous oxide is one of the simplest ways to provide a significant horsepower boost to any gasoline engine.

And I appologize for offending people here. I just hate what The Fast and the Furious has done to racing. Gives people false ideas, stickers and Fart cans do not = 200 hp like ricers believe.

Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    ok sorry to high jack but how does N20 increase the 02? im sorry but from what i know you cannot infuse 2 oxygen together with out a bonding agent.
    Last edited by 02blkws6; 01-30-2008 at 03:48 AM.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

LOL, if you notice, he's asking how O2 is increased when nitrous (N2O) does not have any O2 molecules. NO2 which is nitrogen dioxide would, but unfortunately nitrous is N2O, or nitrous oxide...

But I'm with you on the fart cans, they are quite annoying.

-Eagle

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02blkws6 View Post
    It's called a chemical reaction.

Cut and paste off interweb...

When you heat nitrous oxide to about 570 degrees F (~300 C), it splits into oxygen and nitrogen. So the injection of nitrous oxide into an engine means that more oxygen is available during combustion. Because you have more oxygen, you can also inject more fuel, allowing the same engine to produce more power. Nitrous oxide is one of the simplest ways to provide a significant horsepower boost to any gasoline engine.

And I appologize for offending people here. I just hate what The Fast and the Furious has done to racing. Gives people false ideas, stickers and Fart cans do not = 200 hp like ricers believe.
    So where did you get that I was fast and furious from...um the 408 stroker under the hood? or maybe it was the make Chevrolet? Must have confused you with the Z28 badges thats it...

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

I'm done with the bashing, continue if you must. If you say NOS around real drag racers they will think you are retarded, that all. And having a Z28 with a 408 doesn't mean jack. I don't street race and go to the track as much as my schedule allows. Make sure that you have big enough injectors if running a dry kit, which I would recommend. Fuel solenoids don't last as long as injectors (another can of worms).

So where did you get that I was fast and furious from...um the 408 stroker under the hood? or maybe it was the make Chevrolet? Must have confused you with the Z28 badges thats it...

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

I work at Bandimere Speedway in Colorado and in big letters we have NOS refill station. So, if it good enough for them, its good enough for me. Maybe in the east its just different lingo...

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

I repeat, ROFLMGDAO!

And yes, dont worry. Your dry setup will work fine too, just remember to bump your fuel pump up too.
    what system are you running...?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

what system are you running...?
    I think he has one of these killer dry set-ups.......With the NGK's

LOL

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

who needs a bottle warmer when u can just slide this tank in your gfs pussy

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

no love for ole sneaky pete? haha

Pewter
    2002 WS6

LOL! No Tuner, no silly sneaky pete for me.

I'm running HSW's wet kit, with the 150 jets thru a single nozzle right now. The car loves the hell out of the spray, but I also have my own copy of HPTuners to tweak the tune as needed. Next will be a plate system and some larger nozzles...

Gotta love the spray!

-Eagle
    | '02 WS6 M6 | KOOKS/ORY | LC-1 | LOU'S SS | UMI SFCs | BMN LCAs & RELOC's | Hotchkis STB | HSW 150 shot | Lid | 42# Lucas | HPTuner Pro |

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

LOL! No Tuner, no silly sneaky pete for me.

I'm running HSW's wet kit, with the 150 jets thru a single nozzle right now. The car loves the hell out of the spray, but I also have my own copy of HPTuners to tweak the tune as needed. Next will be a plate system and some larger nozzles...

Gotta love the spray!

-Eagle
    thats tight man, how much did that kit run you?

Pewter
    2002 WS6

hptuners.com for more info! About $650 for the pro software...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information