Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Considering a dry kit

I just bought a '02 WS6. Bad news for me is I can't keep up with my buddy's car that puts out 400rwhp. Nitrous seems to be the shortest most cost effective path towards keeping up. On that note, I have a couple questions:

1. wet or dry? I need the highest levels of saftey and reliability out of this upgrade. Performance is actually secondary to me.
    2. whats the higest safe* HP to spray? 100? 150?
    3. how many passes can one expect out of a 10lb. bottle if spraying @ 150HP?
    4. my WS6 has 48k miles on it, is that still ok to spray on? The car is sound right now, no issues.

What other upgrades would I want to consider when adding nitrous to a stock WS6? Again, I'm looking to keep reliability and safety of the car as high as possible.

I do understand that with any upgrade - you compromise somewhere else. I like the concept of NO2, but I'd be interested in knowing about its draw backs too...

Thanks to everyone for any feedback I could get.

-Eagle

Pewter
    2002 WS6

hrmm, no replies?

A 100 shot should get you there. A lot of people start dry and upgrade to wet. Use the search function. And YGPM. I just went over 100 k and am in the midst of putting in a wet kit. People spray 150 all the time. There is always the few that have bad luck but, If you can't pay don't spray.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Personally I would suggest a wet kit, like our Sudden Impact wet kit:

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop...roductid=16648

On a bolt on car you can spray a 150 shot all day long. No problem on the miles, we have customers spraying on their 150k vehicles. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Matt

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Matt, I'll definitely be giving you a call. I think it might be worth a drive to PA to have this done right. Look forward to speaking to you.

NBM
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Definetly go with Matt. Here is a pic of my single nozzle dry kit w/purge & heater after I recieved it. I was very impressed with the quality of the products & packaging.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Mike-

Have you done the install yet? Anything that you needed to get in order to complete the install? I see you got a heater, did you also get a window switch?

-Eagle

NBM
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Yea, I got a BMN window switch w/1st gear lockout. And as for the install, I haven't started it yet. I'm getting some 36# injectors & a few other choice pieces I wanted.

Everything in the kit as it was shipped to me was everything needed for the install. Minus a switch panel, which you can also get from Matt. Only reason I'm waiting is personal choice. The heater is also a pressure controlled heater. So once you turn it on you only have to monitor your gauge. When the bottle pressure hits the set limit, the pressure switch turns off the heater until the pressure drops below optimum PSIG.

Not only are the HSW kits very complete but they are also made mostly of stainless steel instead of brass & rated at the rear wheels.
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...34244289-L.jpg
    99' NBM WS6 6-speed
    Mods:Stock bottom end-224/.581 114-TR 7.4's-P/P & milled .018" 5.3's-P/P TB-LS7 lifters-LS7 clutch-LS2 flywheel-MTI lid-Pacesetter LT's-TSP ORY-Hooker Aerochamber

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yes I would also go with a wet kit!!
    And a 150 is a safe # for your motor for years of fun with the right tune and A/F ratio.
    You should easily get 5-6 passes with a purging before every pass. On 250 we get 4 solid bottle pressure passes.

I would also check out NX's kit.....

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/gm_1pc_massair.htm
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Silver
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@HSW View Post
    On a bolt on car you can spray a 150 shot all day long. No problem on the miles, we have customers spraying on their 150k vehicles.
    You say 150 shot all day long on a bolt on car.. if the car is cammed+bolt on, does it can take the 150 shot with the cam??
    Thanks

Pewter
    2002 WS6

2000 Cavalier Z24
    Red
    LOL, don't spray the car in your profile... if you do out on the 150 shot on that thing, make sure you have a camera rolling!

I think the stock bottom end of the block is "capable" of holding 500HP. Changing your cam would only influence your question in the case that it bumped your total power over 500HP. Stock HP of the '02 is 325HP. Add the 150 shot and you're right at 475HP (415ish @ rear wheels). So right there I'm pushing my luck.

Basically, get the car dyno'd and find out what kind of power you're making now and then decide what size shot is best for your application.

Anyone else?

On a cam car I would suggest upgrading the fuel pump. In addition if you have a tune for the cam and they advanced the timing you'll want to pull it out or run a higher octane fuel when you spray. Other then those two you shouldn't have a problem on a 150 shot.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Pwrdbyls1 View Post
    You say 150 shot all day long on a bolt on car.. if the car is cammed+bolt on, does it can take the 150 shot with the cam??
    Thanks

Silver
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    LOL, don't spray the car in your profile... if you do out on the 150 shot on that thing, make sure you have a camera rolling!
    No haha it's my daily driver ! I'm looking for a LS1 this summer My project is a full bolt ons car with a cam and maybe some nitrous with all the stuff for putting it to the ground. I can't wait!! Thanks for the tips

Silver
    1999 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@HSW View Post
    On a cam car I would suggest upgrading the fuel pump. In addition if you have a tune for the cam and they advanced the timing you'll want to pull it out or run a higher octane fuel when you spray. Other then those two you shouldn't have a problem on a 150 shot.

Matt
    Ok thanks !!

Bright Rally Red
    01 Camaro SS M6

I am a little late but I vote "Dry" unless you go straight to a directport kit. IMO those 2 are the only way you know for sure that the correct amount of fuel is getting to each cylinder. But hey I am not a sponser and have only been playing with a reading about Nitrous for a few years so my knowledge of the stuff on scratches the surface.

Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

My preference is wet because I feel it is safer. Some may argue that dry is safer because if your fuel solenoid doesn't activate for some reason, you may run lean and burn up your motor. I wouldn't put over a 150 shot on a stock motor. And I agree that upgrading the fuel pump is a very good idea.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

I just fired my HSW wet kit for the first time last night, and I agree. Wet is the way to go, for HP up to the 150 range. Its a good time when that window switch turns on the giggle juice!

-Eagle

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I just fired my HSW wet kit for the first time last night, and I agree. Wet is the way to go, for HP up to the 150 range. Its a good time when that window switch turns on the giggle juice!

-Eagle
    So did you figure out it's time for some drag radials yet.......?

Pewter
    2002 WS6

LOL, with the 100HP jets its obvious the tires just arent going to hack it. Can't wait to see what the 150HP pills do!

At what PSI should I get my bottle refilled? I had a leak upon first opening the bottle that took me a minute to get the correct wrench for, dropped the needle down around the 700psi mark. The refill shop barely got it over 900psi.

What should the typical 10lb bottle weigh when full?

-Eagle

2nd last of the lt1s EVAR 94z28l's Avatar

purple pearl metalic
    1994 Z28 Camaro

LOL, with the 100HP jets its obvious the tires just arent going to hack it. Can't wait to see what the 150HP pills do!

At what PSI should I get my bottle refilled? I had a leak upon first opening the bottle that took me a minute to get the correct wrench for, dropped the needle down around the 700psi mark. The refill shop barely got it over 900psi.

What should the typical 10lb bottle weigh when full?

-Eagle
    10lbs just kidding

Thread Information