Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Can I stop worrying about my Air/Fuel Ratio?

I'm in the process of installing MAC mid length headers with ORY. I already have an SLP Loudmouth exhaust and all the usual intake bolt ons.

My concern is that I'm going to run the car lean if I keep using my NOS 5177 Dry kit. I'm thinking about pulling it out and going to a wet system. Will a wet system keep me out of trouble or am I screwed either way?

1999 Camaro Z28, SLP loudmouth exhaust, Headers with ORY, all the usual intake bolt-ons...

Thanks!

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

with a wet system, you can control the fuel. keeping with the dry, you have to rely on the MAF to add the fuel. at this point in your game, you might be needing larger injectors and fuel pump to keep up with the demand.

i've been 481 rwhp on 26# injectors and stock fuel pump with a heads and cam set up.

you don't have to pull out the whole system. all you need to do is get a fuel solenoid, wet nozzle, -4AN line to the noid from the fuel rail, a -3 AN line from the noid to the nozzle, and appropriate fittings.

some dealers sell a dry to wet conversion kit. look up our sponsors. www.harrisspeedworks.com
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

I actually went from wet to a dry one because I was worried about A/F. I don't have to keep my bottle pressure consistantly at 950+ to run safely. If it drops to 800, so what? The MAF just won't add as much fuel (indirectly). With a wet shot, I would end up going extremely rich!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

With a wet set-up........Which is the ONLY WAY TO GO you don't need any thing other than a heater (if it's cold) and the right jets!
    Unless you are in the cold if your droping major pressure it's because the bottles going empty.
    We've run a 300 shot on a 10lb. bottle and we get 4 solid passes with NO pressure issues.And thats purging before every pass.

GET THE JETTING TUNED FOR YOUR FUEL PRESSURE AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.......RICH IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN LEAN ON THE BOTTLE!!!!
    It's WAY BETTER TO GO RICH THAN LIFT A RING GLAND OR MELT PISTON FACE!!!!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

black
    '99 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    With a wet set-up........Which is the ONLY WAY TO GO you don't need any thing other than a heater (if it's cold) and the right jets!
    Unless you are in the cold if your droping major pressure it's because the bottles going empty.
    We've run a 300 shot on a 10lb. bottle and we get 4 solid passes with NO pressure issues.And thats purging before every pass.

GET THE JETTING TUNED FOR YOUR FUEL PRESSURE AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.......RICH IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN LEAN ON THE BOTTLE!!!!
    It's WAY BETTER TO GO RICH THAN LIFT A RING GLAND OR MELT PISTON FACE!!!!
    so if i have a dry setup, will the fuel pressure regulator thing thats shuts down the nos if the fuel pressure drops be sufficient? or should i just go ahead and go wet? i want the dry set up simply for the stealth angle, wet would be too much to hide.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by sobaka79 View Post
    so if i have a dry setup, will the fuel pressure regulator thing thats shuts down the nos if the fuel pressure drops be sufficient? or should i just go ahead and go wet? i want the dry set up simply for the stealth angle, wet would be too much to hide.
    If the right person does the install you can hide a wet setup pretty easy. No a hobbs switch would only work on a wet kit.
    To give you a hint stock air cleaner boxes have more room to put things in..........

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    No a hobbs switch would only work on a wet kit.

a hobbs switch will work on a dry as well. it's nothing more than a grounding switch. you hook the ground wire from the nitrous solenoid to the FPSS just like you would do with a wet kit. only difference is the wet kit has both solenoid ground wires hooked to it. fuel pressure drops, it disconnects the ground and shuts down the nitrous solenoid.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    a hobbs switch will work on a dry as well. it's nothing more than a grounding switch. you hook the ground wire from the nitrous solenoid to the FPSS just like you would do with a wet kit. only difference is the wet kit has both solenoid ground wires hooked to it. fuel pressure drops, it disconnects the ground and shuts down the nitrous solenoid.
    Your right in that you could wire to the nitrous solenoid but your not doing much on insurance. Since your hoping for compensation of fuel for the liquid 02 your blowing in. I just don't like the whole idea......... With wet I can tune my air fuel ratio do a flow test and set my hobbs switch with in a .5 lb difference from what the tune was at and not worry about it any longer!!
    And that I could NEVER do with a dry system.
    That's just my 2 cents take it or leave it.....

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

your are mixing two ideas here.

one is tuning dry vs wet.

the other is the hobbs switch itself. the switch doesn't care what the a/f ratio is. all it's looking for is fuel pressure.

it's still a safegaurd if the pressure itself get's too low.

i see what you are doing though. once you get your a/f ratio dialed in, you look at what FP the run was done at, then set the switch just under that FP. it can be done with a dry, just not as accurate vs using a wet setup.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Yeah wet systems are great until your fuel solenoid doesn't open. Thats also something to think about. There is good things and bad things about wet and dry kits.

black
    '99 T/A

thanks for all the good info.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by The1N_Only View Post
    Yeah wet systems are great until your fuel solenoid doesn't open. Thats also something to think about. There is good things and bad things about wet and dry kits.

dry systems are great until an injector fails as well. or when the MAF doesn't read what's coming in properly.

but yes, there are good things and bad things about wet and dry kits.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

A melted piston is all the motivation I need to go to a 382 stroker package anyway...

Thread Information