Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

4.10s with 150shot.

got a 01 ws6 m6. tire wise im running nitto 555rs 315/35/17. car is pretty much stock have exhaust lid and nitrous. im rebuilding my rearend. should i go with 3.73s or can i pull off 4.10's with nitrous without running out having to shift into 5th.. im assuming shifting into 5th on nitrous would be bad. i hear you have to run a tire 28' in height from keeping to shift out of 4th on nitrous. can this be done with my setup? need to know soon because ordered 3.75s but they are on backorder so i can get the 4.10s if its possible with the tires im running.. also stock rev limiter is at 6500 i usually shift around 6000

thanks

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

with my auto, i had to shift into 4th (OD) about 60ft before the traps with 4.10s. i had 315/35-17 tires as well. the more power you make, the less gear you need.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

do you think i should get the 4.10s with my setup or should i get the 3.73s.. if i can pull it off i would really like the 4.10s what do you think.

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

sense im a 6 speed do you think that will make a difference? is it bad to have to shift into 5th? i figured it would be good. my gears are on backorder so i would like advise soon to go with 3.73s or 4.10's..

Approver of Threads SpecterGT260's Avatar

Blacked out
    '98 Trans Am

i think you will be fine unless you are also cammed
    i have heard of cam+spray cars running out of gear, but i dont think ur going to be going fast enough with 4.10s to get there. you are probably still looking at trapping below 120, ur 4th should handle that just fine

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by SpecterGT260 View Post
    i think you will be fine unless you are also cammed
    i have heard of cam+spray cars running out of gear, but i dont think ur going to be going fast enough with 4.10s to get there. you are probably still looking at trapping below 120, ur 4th should handle that just fine
    In some ways a cam will help since he will have a longer powerband (depending on the cam). With mine I am shifting close to 6700 RPM. I have known quite a few people running 4.10s and I think you will be fine.

If you are really worried about it they do make 3.90s.

I know you have heard this, but getting a 10 bolt rebuilt is about 1/3 the cost of a better rear end. You might just want to suffer with the one you have and get the better one sooner.

Blacked out
    '98 Trans Am

i was just saying the only guy i know that ran out of gear had a large cam and a 150 shot. also on 4.10s. I have stock gearing and my 3rd gear runs out almost to 120mph with my 7k rev limiter. i would have no issue at all spraying and keeping gear with this setup. but if i were take that result, and throw in 4.10s, it may be different. I dont know for certain.

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

i still have my rev limiter at stock around 6300-6500 not sure i shift at 6000. im going to do the rebuild just because its my DD once i get a job first thing im saving up for is a 9'. so cam with be later down the road after the 9'.

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

mrr23 ran out of gear but his is auto.. sense i have a m6 is there a difference when running out of gear? if i have to shift into 5th is that really bad idea on nitrous?

Blacked out
    '98 Trans Am

ive raced in 5th before..... on nitrous. you dont want to subject your motor to nitrous for prolonged times, and you dont want to go into an overdrive gear (6th in your case) and you dont want to shift 40 feet before the traps. nothing dangerous about 5th but u want to avoid these 3 things

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

i went with 3.90's between both gears sense i was iffy about the 4.10's. hopefully their perfect. anyone here with 3.90's?

black
    1999 T/A

the t56 is a double overdrive trans so 5 and 6 are overdrive.

Blacked out
    '98 Trans Am

i drop just as many rpm in the 4-5 shift as I do on any other shift. i havent checked the ratios recently but that tells me its still a functional gear. 5th gear in the t56 is significantly higher than 5th in a T5 or 3650. can you back up the double overdrive? this is the first time ive ever heard it

White
    1998 Camaro

yes it has a double overdrive 4th is 1:1

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I would say go with the 3.73's with the bottle you don't need that much gear.
    Plus your adding more tq than hp so the 4.10 isn't needed.

Gears are a dime a dozen. I'm sure you can get 3.73's from another site or store that has them in stock for the same or Very close to the same price.

If you were only going to do a baby 75 shot then the 4.10's would be ok.

My 2 cent's take it or leave it...........
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by SpecterGT260 View Post
    i drop just as many rpm in the 4-5 shift as I do on any other shift. i havent checked the ratios recently but that tells me its still a functional gear. 5th gear in the t56 is significantly higher than 5th in a T5 or 3650. can you back up the double overdrive? this is the first time ive ever heard it

5th is .74 where 6th is .5

Both are considered overdrives since they are below 1.00

From my quick look up a T5's 5th is .63

In any case I would not worry to much about hitting 5th. I do have a friend with a 383 built LT1 and 150 shot. He is on the border of needing to us 5th but it has not been a problem. Granted there are quite a bit of differences, but I still think you will be just fine and happy to have extra acceleration.

Blacked out
    '98 Trans Am

i guess ill give u that. its still a pretty useful gear and I stay in my powerband with it (or rather.... did stay in my powerband.... i havent actually had to 4-5 shift since i put the cam in.........)

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by krug07 View Post
    mrr23 ran out of gear but his is auto.. sense i have a m6 is there a difference when running out of gear? if i have to shift into 5th is that really bad idea on nitrous?
    1:1 ratio is the same auto or manual. auto is 3rd manual is 4th is all. to prevent you from going into 5th on the nitrous, you'll have to spin to about 6700 rpms.

in my car, i had completely stock motor with 4.10 gears and 150 shot.

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

i ended up not going with the 4.10s i went with 3.90s in the middle of the two. so i have the acceleration off the bottle and also with the bottle.. im hoping 3.90s are a good pick.. sense its my DD im not on the bottle all the time so i thought going with little more gear would be nice.. but 4.10s seem like maybe a little to much.what does everyone think about 3.90's?

White
    1999 SS

i dont run nitrous, but if you're wondering i hit 135 in 4th almost redlined with 4.10's. So you should have no problem at all with 3.90's. Have fun!

Thread Information