Thread: Fog newbie

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Fog newbie

...but old school gearhead.....
    04 GTO A4...H/C, LSX Intake/headers/Borla cat backs/PI 3200 Stall/Harrop Diff/Nitto's.... etc.
    400+ RWHP as it sits....installing the NX kit for a 150 shot....
    question...and please forgive the "rookie" question.....safety is a high priority for me....so we have a pro installation....window switches/bottle warmers/fuel cutoff switch etc.....is the bottle safe in the trunk? I'm concerned about the Texas summer heat with a bottle back there.....should I install the bottle pressure guage in the dash to monitor pressure? Or am I just being stupid as usual?

So do you have the safety blow-down tube and rupture disk too? With all that heat, especially right now, that's what I'd make sure to have on there. Now, as far as your bottle ever getting hot enough to blow the rupture disk: Since GTOs don't have hatches like f-bodies, there isn't the possibility of the shining directly onto your bottle, thereby delaying the rate at which your bottle heats up during the day (since it's only ambient temperature). I'd say, if you keep the bottle in there, park in the shade so the trunk doesn't have direct sunlight either. Once, I left my fbody in direct sunlight with the bottle in the T-Top well. It was roughly 96° all day and not a cloud in sight. From about 12pm to 5pm the bottle pressure only raised a few PSI... so, I think it's ok, but then again you guys have 100°F+ daily. Just make sure you're using the disk and blowdown tube incause something does go awry.

Oh, and you're not being stupid. Sure this was under different circumstances, but I'm sure you don't want your GTO looking like that.
    http://www.healthyhome.net/DA.htm

-somebody
    Last edited by Somebody09; 08-04-2005 at 11:35 AM.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

To blow the safety disk you have to hit like 3000PSI, thats a hell of a lot of pressure. Anyway as for other safety devices engine specific, be sure to have a WOT switch, Window switch, arming switch, and a fuel pressure safety switch for added protection. The arming switch will allow you control of shutting the entire system down, the WOT switch makes sure that it sprays only at WOT, spraying at any other time othert than WOT can cause engine damage, the window switch will make sure it can only spray between a specified RPM range. 3,000 to 6,000 is a safe range. I wouldnt shoot a big shot at any lower than 2500 RPMS. Nitrous makes so much torque that using it at low RPM's can cause lots of damage. I have mine set at 2900-6000. The fuel pressure switch will cut the system off if fuel pressure drops to low, which prevents the air/fuel from getting too lean and causing engine damage. As for the bottle in the trunk in the texas summer heat, bad move only because it will get so hot that you will build up too much pressure to be able to safely spray into the engine. I was in TX a few months ago and my bottle would get to like 1300-1500 PSI if I lewft it in the car. The proper range is 900-1050PSI on NX systems. So your best bet for summer is to take it out until you wanna use it and then put it in the trunk and use a bottle warmer to get it to the right PSI. A pressure gauge can be placed in the little defroster vent in the A pillar.
    2000 T/A, M6, Black
    laughing gas

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You folks answered my question and more. Thanks man..............

Black
    1999 Z28 Camaro

awesome info guys, I also have a "new guy" question, will a bottle blanket help keep away unwanted heat and stabilize bottel pressure? and how do nitrous systems hold up in cold tempuratures? I live in Colorado and the general winter temp is about 30 or so. And finally whats the biggest shot of nitrous somebody can add to a stock LS1 for semi frequent use like track visits? Thank you

Thread Information