idel and flooding problems

I just finshed build, engine and tranny rebuild and now the car has a little trouble idling and seems to be flooding out. I have open headers right now, still trying to work the kinks out. Any suggestions?

Chris 96 WS6
    Fuel pressure regulator busted? Check your pressure. If you're getting 43.5 psi with the vacuum tube still on then the FPR is broken.

DisCrete
    I'm no expert but... try adjusting the idel limit? Friend of mine has a 77 T-bird rough idel sounded like it was going to die all the time... he adjusted the idel limit and the car runs smoother now.

Assuming there's no problem as chris had mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
    Fuel pressure regulator busted? Check your pressure. If you're getting 43.5 psi with the vacuum tube still on then the FPR is broken.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DisCrete
    I'm no expert but... try adjusting the idel limit? Friend of mine has a 77 T-bird rough idel sounded like it was going to die all the time... he adjusted the idel limit and the car runs smoother now.

Assuming there's no problem as chris had mentioned.
    Where is the idel limit located on the 94 z?

DisCrete
    I figured it was carb'd which has a screw on one side.. which you can adjust the idel time up or down.

I'm not exactly sure as I only seen my friend do it on his car... and I'm sure different carbs have different setups.

if it's fuel injected.. it has to be program'd into the chip... in which case.. it's probably not the issue as I had mentioned previously.

-DisCrete

Maybe chris can give you a more definitive answer where the screw is located on the carb. again if you car is Fuel injected... then the problem is most likely not what I suggested.

My friend adjusted the idel timing screw "on his carb" was located on the driver side of the carburator. You may wanna check there.. do some searchin on the net for your car with the carb you are running... etc... all of this will help you find out where it is located.

I'm sorry I can't be much more help than that.
    Last edited by DisCrete; 08-03-2005 at 05:35 PM.

My fuel pressure was 35 psi with the key on. And it was 39 psi when the car was idling. As the car started to die it jumped up to 45 psi. As I feathered the gas to smooth it back out it came back down to 39 psi. Does this mean my FPR is going out or is out?
    Last edited by wc00ac; 08-03-2005 at 07:06 PM.

Okay I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and now the psi readings seem to be within spec. But she still seems to be flooding and hard to keep idling sometimes. Sometimes she idles smooth. I tried to take it down the road and I hard to feather the gas, also when feathering the gas it would cut out and die. Any ideas???

DisCrete
    feathering the gas to much... will stall the car out completely.. I've seen it done many times.. and on FI engines.

idea wise... dunno... maybe tune up???

or see if u can hook it up to a machine.. see if there is any error codes...

I know my car has a vaccuum hose not connected.. which I believe is causing my bog down problems.

Awaiting Activation

Re: idel and flooding problems

Have you had it tuned since the rebuild?? Is it a stock rebuild or did you change the heads? Cam? Headers? If you changed anything it's probably time to tune it. Hell I'd tune it anyway to take advantage of a fresh mill.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimpala
    Have you had it tuned since the rebuild?? Is it a stock rebuild or did you change the heads? Cam? Headers? If you changed anything it's probably time to tune it. Hell I'd tune it anyway to take advantage of a fresh mill.
    Here is a list of stuff I have done since I started this rebuild. + or - a few items

MODS: 355 Block, Pistons, Crank, LT4 Hotcam, Comp Magnum 1.6 Rockers, Comp Lifters, Hardened Pushrods, Moroso CAI, Ported MAF, Ported TB, LT4 Knock Module, PCMforless Tunning, Long Tube Headers, Off Road Y-Pipe, 2500 Stall, Tranny Rebuilt, 9 Plate 3-4 Clutch Pack, Kevlar Band, Transgo Shift, Tranny Coller, New Radiator, Alternator, Battery, NGK Plugs, MSD Wires, New Fuel Pressure Regulator,

Awaiting Activation

So you have had it tuned since you got it rebuilt?

I'd look into the EGR, coolant temp sensor, or O2's.

So you have had it tuned since you got it rebuilt?

I'd look into the EGR, coolant temp sensor, or O2's.
    I dont have the egr stuff anymore and what would the coolant have to do with my problem. But I will check into the O2's.

Awaiting Activation

I didn't think that the coolant sensor would play in either. Until last summer when my car wouldn't idle and liked to die at the most inoportune times. The PCM reads from that sensor and if its too hot or cold or fluxuates a lot it throws of the PCM and causes weird shit to happen. I replaced my IAC, my TPS, MAP sensor, Collant temp sensor, all kinds of shit, until I broke down and took it to the mechanic. Tunred out that the wiring pig tail that plugs into the Coolant temp sensor was bad. GM had a bad run of these plugs, and a lot of the time they are the culprit. So $300 bucks later in labor and parts and shit I didn't need it was fixed good as new.

Is your car throwing any codes??

Awaiting Activation

Also, when you say PCMforLess...does that mean before or after the build. I'm assuming that you mean after the build, but I want to make certain.

Also, when you say PCMforLess...does that mean before or after the build. I'm assuming that you mean after the build, but I want to make certain.
    The tunning was after.

Thread Information