gold
    1998 Trans Am Formula

Getting a coolant light

I was driving down the road a couple of weeks back and my low coolant light appeared. I figured that it had probably been a while since the fliud had been flushed so I had a radiator and coolant flush done. Well they ran into some difficulties, They put a cleaning agent in their that broke up any debree and rust and it got through the coolant system because there was alot of rust and it seemed to have froze up my t-stat. I replaced it and it was still spitting out fluid like there was an air bubble, finally got it under control and filled it with Dexcool. Anyways, couple of days pass and my coolant light returns. Funny thing is i just filled it with fresh coolant, no leaks, and I wasn't overheating the slightest bit. Now when i sit at a red-light on a very hot day, it will go to about 210 when it usually runs 180ish when goin down the road. When it sits on 210 for more than a few minutes, the "low coolant" light will come on. Anybody have any feedback for me. The car does not overheat, never reaches past 210* and that is when I'm sitting still somewhere for an extended period of time, cannot tell any hinder in performance.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

could be your head gasket starting to go, the temp will go up then back down.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Im going to be honest i think the sensor might be screwed up. Mine stays on constantly. My levels stay the same, and my coolant has been flushed twice. I also stopped running dexcool.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by SStriker View Post
    Im going to be honest i think the sensor might be screwed up. Mine stays on constantly. My levels stay the same, and my coolant has been flushed twice. I also stopped running dexcool.
    got the same problems...lights always on... it's just the sensor cause it's runnin nice and cool...and is full of coolant

Red
    2000 Z28

The low coolant sensor, and the temp sender are different, so I would think that it is not the level sensor. Sounds like there may still be air in the system. Sometimes F-bodies are a pian to bleed the air out of the system.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by SStriker View Post
    thats what i was going to say, my mom is having the same exact problem and its her sensor... still freaks me out to see low coolant but shes cool about it haha

ps- if u are running a little hotter, like 210, i agree with the statement above u might be wearing down those head gaskets thats what mine would do before the head gasket went... good luck

gold
    1998 Trans Am Formula

re

When I say the temp goes up, it only goes up when I'm just sittin still and no air is passing through the engine. When I go down the road, the temp will steadily start goin down, especially when I go down gandy bridge, pretty much a 7mi bridge, it'll get down to about 165*. But when I sit at a red light for a few minutes, the temp will SLOWLY start goin up but wont go past 210.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Yeah cause your moving and the air is moving around the engine cooling it i would also check my fans to see if they trun on, your car could be getting hot the the coolant expands and could cause that light to go on.

Black
    1998 WS6

it's probably the coolant level sensor. it's located on the righthand side of the radiator, about a third of the way down. Drain the coolant down below the sensor, then remove it and clean it or replace it. mine went bad with only 20k miles on the car

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98 View Post
    I was driving down the road a couple of weeks back and my low coolant light appeared. I figured that it had probably been a while since the fliud had been flushed so I had a radiator and coolant flush done. Well they ran into some difficulties, They put a cleaning agent in their that broke up any debree and rust and it got through the coolant system because there was alot of rust and it seemed to have froze up my t-stat. I replaced it and it was still spitting out fluid like there was an air bubble, finally got it under control and filled it with Dexcool. Anyways, couple of days pass and my coolant light returns. Funny thing is i just filled it with fresh coolant, no leaks, and I wasn't overheating the slightest bit. Now when i sit at a red-light on a very hot day, it will go to about 210 when it usually runs 180ish when goin down the road. When it sits on 210 for more than a few minutes, the "low coolant" light will come on. Anybody have any feedback for me. The car does not overheat, never reaches past 210* and that is when I'm sitting still somewhere for an extended period of time, cannot tell any hinder in performance.
    210 isn't bad for a stock engine sounds like you have a stock t-stat and when it used to run 180 th t-stat was probably froze open our gauges are pretty much just for reference anyway and the dummy light sensor is probably dirty or bad........... good luck

Thread Information