Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    morocotopo

1" Drop With Shocks

earlier This Week I Saw A Thread About Lowering Your Car, And Someone Replied That It Is Better If You Lower Your Car With Shocks, And Not Springs. If Anyone Know Something About Please Write Back. Is It Better, Can You Get More Than 1" Drop, Just What Are The Benefits And What You Need To Get It Done???

I was under the impression that only your springs lower the car.

BlackHawk T/A
    You have to get the Koni adjustables, they are able to do it.

Pewter
    2002 Z28 M6

Talk to Sam at stranoparts.com about it. You can lower the car 3/4 to 1 inch with just shocks (Koni adjustable) because of the way you mount them. Pricey but worth it!

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

I lowered my 2000 Trans AM, WS-6, LS1 1.5-2.0 inches with Eibach Sportline Springs and I used the orignal factory shocks. The look is and ride is awsome.

2 is better than 1!!! noblesramair's Avatar

sunset orange
    2002 pontiac trans am WS6

I lowered my 2000 Trans AM, WS-6, LS1 1.5-2.0 inches with Eibach Sportline Springs and I used the orignal factory shocks. The look is and ride is awsome.
    boy that may cause trouble.

Yep, talk to sam! I talked to him about a week ago and he DEFINITLY knows what hes talking about! here is his website, his number is there.

http://www.stranoparts.com/index.php

He told me about this mod also. I think im going to go with it. The koni front struts have an adjustable perch and you can do the hose mod on the rear springs both give about 3/4 to 1 inch drop. The koni's single adjustable are expensive roughly 700-800 for a set but they are the best, well except the double adjustable but those are over 1000 for a set!

Quote Originally Posted by 2000taws6
    Those springs should not be used with the factory shocks, you're putting to much stress on them and could cause a major accident. Depending on what you've done with your exhaust you could end up ripping it up if you bottom out on something since you don't have the dampening or rebound of aftermarket shocks too.

nufkts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000taws6
    The ride may be awesome now, but in no amount of time you are going to be teribbly dissapointed in your suspensoin if you dont not replace the shocks as well. I speak from experience here. I lowered my 2001 ws6 and did not change shocks, good ride for about 5,000 miles then bouncy as hell, so I changed shocks and struts to go with it being lowered and still bouncy. It aint worth sacraficing a quality ride to look cool... As I write this my ws6 is in the shop getting the factory springs put back on the front, I did the rear myself yesterday. This is just my personal opinion. But I would for sure change out your shocks if you dont give it a few miles and you will be like damn this ride sux.....
    Last edited by nufkts; 11-04-2005 at 06:18 AM.

silver
    1999 Trans Am

Im liking this! I thought you could only lower a car with springs. I might get involved in this. Do they come with instructions as to the proper settings to maximize the drop? cant they be adjusted once they are mounted?

Pewter
    2002 Z28 M6

What is this obsession with drop? Its about handling! If you want drop, talk to any lowrider! Their cars handle like caca! Our cars are about improving the handling. That requires matched shocks, springs,sway bars, track bars, etc. If you put in lower (shorter) springs, you have to have a shock that is engineered for the suspension travel of the shorter springs. I wont even get into spring rates! Dont go cheapo! you will end up wasting time and money. Save up and do it right!

sunset orange

Im liking this! I thought you could only lower a car with springs. I might get involved in this. Do they come with instructions as to the proper settings to maximize the drop? cant they be adjusted once they are mounted?
    you can lower the front of the car with the koni's and in the back you do the hose mod. Im pretty sure that the koni's are the only strut out there that allows you to do this. Im sure they come with instructions of some sort. If you look around some im sure you will find something on this mod. Yes the koni's have a shock that can be adjusted while its on the car they cost like 800.00. They also sell ones that you have to take off and adjust then put it back on they are made like this because they sell a little cheaper for like 700.00. But me personally id rather be able to adjust them on the car. Talk to sam at

www.stranoparts.com

about it he told me about them he knows a lot more about them then i do.

silver
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie Guy
    What is this obsession with drop? Its about handling! If you want drop, talk to any lowrider! Their cars handle like caca! Our cars are about improving the handling. That requires matched shocks, springs,sway bars, track bars, etc. If you put in lower (shorter) springs, you have to have a shock that is engineered for the suspension travel of the shorter springs. I wont even get into spring rates! Dont go cheapo! you will end up wasting time and money. Save up and do it right!
    Well errhh, yeah....Very useful facts that Im sure 99% of people here know

BTW I want a slight drop and preserve good handling...I just asked a question about the Koni's, any other mod to my suspension is beyond what I just asked

silver
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by noblesramair
    you can lower the front of the car with the koni's and in the back you do the hose mod. Im pretty sure that the koni's are the only strut out there that allows you to do this. Im sure they come with instructions of some sort. If you look around some im sure you will find something on this mod. Yes the koni's have a shock that can be adjusted while its on the car they cost like 800.00. They also sell ones that you have to take off and adjust then put it back on they are made like this because they sell a little cheaper for like 700.00. But me personally id rather be able to adjust them on the car. Talk to sam at

www.stranoparts.com

about it he told me about them he knows a lot more about them then i do.
    Thanks noblesramair!

Pewter
    2002 Z28 M6

Sorry,Chaman--wasnt trying to insult your intelligence---just trying to help.
    Bowtie good! Blue oval not so good! Bob in the PRK

sunset orange

Thanks noblesramair!
    no problem, any time!

silver
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie Guy
    Sorry,Chaman--wasnt trying to insult your intelligence---just trying to help.
    No prob dude! !!!

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Would there be a problem with putting the pro kit with the factory shocks as well? The pro kit doesnt drop it as much as the sportlines right?

Quote Originally Posted by RAWPWR3
    Would there be a problem with putting the pro kit with the factory shocks as well? The pro kit doesnt drop it as much as the sportlines right?

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

What the fuck does that mean, im just asking a question.

It means you didn't read the whole thread. We already answered what happens when you want to use aftermarket springs with factory shocks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information