Thread: C5 tranny

Driving like i stole it!! dafizzman1's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Formula

C5 tranny

My uncle has a C5 (M6), not sure what year, if it matters, thats needs a tranny. My question is, are the trannies the same as the f-bodies? (the hydrolics too??)And what would be a good route?? Another T56? any difference between the Borg-Werner or the Tremec?? (i think tremec makes them all anyway)

Thanks, Andrew

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

The F-body and Corvette transmissions are not interchangeable at all. The F-body has the transmission mounted in the traditional location, directly behind the engine, while the Corvette's transmission is mounted in the rear of the car, where the differential usually would be. Because of this, its actually considered a transaxle.

As for what transmission to get, you would need to get another Corvette spec T56. No other transmission is going to fit that car, because it its unique transaxle design.

Tremec bought out Borg Warner, so the transmissions are essentially the same. Early models were stamped Borg Warner on the side, newer T56's are stamped Tremec.

Arctic White
    1998 Formula

so bear with me on this. this is the first vette im working on. what links the flywheel to the tranny? any suggestions on where to get the tranny??

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by dafizzman1 View Post
    so bear with me on this. this is the first vette im working on. what links the flywheel to the tranny? any suggestions on where to get the tranny??
    The clutch and flywheel are attached directly to the back of the motor like a regular setup, but a "torque tube" links the power from the clutch to the input shaft of the transmission. Basically its a driveshaft between the clutch and trans.

Arctic White
    1998 Formula

thanks man. im lookin at some pics now. doesnt look too much different than swaping the t56 in a bird (other than the tranny on the rearend). looks pretty straight forward. any idea who might sell one??

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by dafizzman1 View Post
    thanks man. im lookin at some pics now. doesnt look too much different than swaping the t56 in a bird (other than the tranny on the rearend). looks pretty straight forward. any idea who might sell one??
    Honestly...not really off the top of my head. I'd try eBay, they usually have a nice selection of new, used, and rebuilt transmissions. T56 rebuilds is great, but I don't think they can sell you a new transmission, you have to send them a core for them to rebuild.

Thread Information