Black
    1998 Camaro Z-28

1998 Z-28 De-Tuning

Never thought I'd be sending an e-mail like this, but here goes. I don't want to have my 17 year old drive my car with all it's power...still want him around for a few more years. Is there a way to de-tune it so it has less power via electronics, computer, governor, 8 down to 6 cylinders? It handles well thanks to Sam Strano, but don't want 320 HP under that novice foot.

MG

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

Plain and simple don't let him drive it until you think he's experianced enough to handle it.
    98 Formula M6, Hurst Billet Shifter, Zr-1 Wheels, Eibach Pro-Kit,
    BMR Lower Trailing Arms, Adjustible Panhard Bar

Custom Tune with Speed Density, 918's, Manly Pushrods
    400 Cam (.226/.226 .591/.591),Ported oil Pump
    Pacesetter LT's/ORY, Magnaflow Catback.

Pewter
    02 Z28

I drove an LT1 when I was 16, and when I turn 19 I got my 02 Z28 and started modding right away
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

Bright Red
    '02 Firebird TA WS6

Add a bump stop to the throttle, out by the throttle body. This way the peddle goes all the way to the floor but he won't be the wiser that it isn't opening up the throttle butterfly all the way.

Just a thought?

Pewter
    02 Z28

if you cant trust him with it dont let him drive the car, because most liekely he will want to race it and whatever you do he will try to work around it to make it faster. And there will be allot of ricers/mustangs talking $hit about LS1's because they are going to be beating him and think that all LS1's are like that ...
    if you want him to drive a slow car get him an 95 S10 they are teh slow

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

im sure as hell glad my dad didnt let me get a muscle car untill a year after i got my liscence....i woulda killed myself....i got a friend who got a 94 lt1 when he was 15, 2 months after he got his liscense i was riding with him and we were on a wet onramp onto the interstate, he started sliding and DIDNT let off the gas, we did a 360 across I70 in front of some semi's, and ended up in the median. Scared me shitless, i didnt ride w/him for MONTHS!

white
    2002 z28

every kid with a muscle car will be different. if you make him understand that the car is not like others and needs respect when driiving and on the trottel he will take it somewhat seroios. sure if you just throw the keys and say have fun, any 16 year old is going to race. just tell him that not to be stupid with it racing all these ricers and tell him its not worth it to smoke a ricer on the street.

and most of all dont tell him he cant race the car, that will just make him do it more. TRUST I WAS THERE. take him to the track for that maybe the first urge will get out of his system till he can respect it

Pewter
    02 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    take him to the track for that maybe the first urge will get out of his system till he can respect it
    +2 let him learn the car, the way it drives and reacts in some situations. He has to learn the way RW cars work around corners, allot of people loose it on the corners with this cars because its way different then FWdrive

white
    2002 z28

markgaydos""" just let this site kkknow which way or step you go with your kid. casue as you see were all about that age or at least been there..........

Thread Information