black
    1998 z28 camaro

fayetteville, nc second time at the track

Ok second time I went to this track and second time I've drag raced my 98 Z. This is probably the 4th time I've drag raced on any track. Now with that being said I have posted a personal best of 13.42 at 104 mph.

somethings I have a few questions about.

I have fuzion z rated tires for my car right now and I'm not sure how low I should set my air pressure at the track. the first time I dropped it only a few lbs and ran a constant 13.7. This time I dropped the air pressure down to 20 lbs and i ran 13.42 to 13.55 all day. how much lower should I drop the psi, if any?

when doing my burn out I try to drive around the water box but the way they spray the water I still get my back tires a little wet. so i usually try to wait til I see a little smoke so I know they are nice and hot. is this right?

My camaro is a T56 and i'm still trying to figure out how to launch it best. I run the rpms up to 2800 then between the second and third yellow I drop the clutch by side stepping. anyone have any tips on how to do it better?

As for shifting during my run I wait till about 5500 rpms to shift. I don't side step the clutch. I get wheel spin between 1st and 2nd with out doing it.

I have the hypertech programmed in an SLP air box lid and smooth air bellows. no other mods. I have some planned but probably won't do them for a long time. (saving money for the new camaro and doing an engine swap in my other project that I plan to strictly drag).

any help you all can give me I would be very greatful.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

For street tires, I wouldn't drop it any lower than that... Congrats on the 13.42... keep trying, you're times will improve. Street tires, most people just recommend just spinning them a couple of rotations to just clean them off... drags are what you want smoking a little. But as far as launching, try a few different things, and see how your particular car reacts to them.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Thread Information