dark blue
    86' Monte carlo LS

5.3L swap 86' monte carlo

i got a 02 5.3 truck motor and i wanna put it in my monte carlo whats gotta be done like motor mounts and headers etc....

Is it your 86 Monte? Anyhow, here’s some thing to consider.

1. The truck 5.3 intake might not clear the Monte hood. You’re gonna need a LS1 Camaro, Vette, Fast intake; a ’00-04 should work fine, but the truck alt bracket will need some modifying. At the same time decide if you’re gonna go with DBW or throttle cable. DBW will pose a new set of worms.

2. You will need the LSx converting mounting engine brackets from CPP or S&P, ebay, or fab’em.

3. Decided what you’re gonna use for a tranny, if you use the stock 350 you will need a conversion adapter for the flexplate and elongate the holes to match that of the original flexplate. (You might be in better shape with a 4L60e; then note the drive shaft length, and the location of the tranny mount. You many need a custom sized driveshaft, and also relocate the tranny mounting bracket and redrill for the new location.

4. 98-04 manifolds may clear the frame without shavin, but be prepared to do so. As for headers, keep fishing for the right ones; someone’s done it and bound to sound off on the brand they used.

5. *The alternator and power steering bracket might pose a hood clearance issue as well since it stands nearly as tall as the truck intake. So your best choices are the Camaro brackets or fab; it’s the most inexpensive.

6. I would advise replacing the truck oilpan with a Camaro pan, the truck pan drops too low for a car to clear speed bumps, sharp driveway inclines, etc.

• IF you change any of the truck alt/power/ac brackets to Vette or Camaro, you need to change all including the waterpump, and balancer to insure all belt driven components function properly.

This is just for starters and it all depends on how much you want to invest to make it work and/or look sweet. My project doesn’t involve a car so others can confirm or correct my suggestions. I’m putting a 5.3 in an 87 GMC truck and using Camaro components and a LS2 intake, so a lot of what I’ve stated has similarities.

Thread Information