If you were looking for a project car?

What would you pick? Camaro/FB/Vette...? like em' all...

What year(s) and why?

Looking to do something that handles great, mucho power, at least mid 11's or better in the quarter. Turbo or supercharged... I've had experiece with both.

Wouldn't mind finding a clean car minus drivetrain and building from there. Have alot of fun doing that stuff..... money is always an issue, but I'll do all the labor.

btw- great site...

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

well i am a fan of f-bods, you can find you a tired one for 8k or less and mod that thing out to hell.

I already have to f-bods so i would go with a vette, you can find some pretty cheap c5's. They pretty much weigh the same from what i have seen, my 99 m6 camaro was lighter than a friends 99 c5..........Plus i like the fbod because you can fit more than two people in the car.

Cayenne Red Metallic
    98 Z28

He mentioned without drivetrain, I doubt he wants to spend $8000 on something like that.

Personally, I would just start searching for anything. See whats out there. You mentioned handle well and run 11s. Sometimes you have to compromise one or the other, depending on money. Dont rule anything out. F-body is a good inexpensive platform to start with, and you can get a 3rd gen without a drivetrain or with a V6 for less than $1000 in good shape. I have even seen 4th gens under $2000 for running cars.

I had a Triumph TR8 many years ago that I paid $1500 for and built it into a best of 12.2 and it handled like it was on rails. It had a small Buick based Rover 3.5 ltr V8 with a couple mods. I have a TR7 in my garage next to my Z28 right now that may eventually go that route(same cars but TR7 has a 4 cylinder and the TR8 had that V8). Nothing like 300hp in a 2200lb car.

I usually go to ebay and just look at all cars, then do it nearest first and just go through and look for anything interesting. Check autotrader too. That is how I got my current 98 Z28 for $3600
    http://www.fquick.com/mnypitZ
    98 Z28 a little here and a little there
    03 Saab 9-5 ARC
    80 Triumph TR7

teal

or you can through a 150 shot on a h/c car, you will be in the 11's easily.

But yeah if you look around you can find a roller, they are just pretty hard to come buy, your best bet would be to look in a salvage yard for one.

Are you stuck on the idea of those three cars?

grey
    95 9c1 caprice

i know they might not be as nice as the cars u have mentioned but maybe u should look into 94-96 caprice with the 9c1 package (cop car) They handle awesome for a big car (4400lbs). One of the nice things about this is the u can get a great condition 9c1 for around 2K. I bought mine 2 years ago for 2100 with under 100k and it was a under cover cop car with none of the markings or holes. It ran low 15's stock but i have it running really high 13's with a 100% stock motor including stock rockers and everything and no nos and shity street tires. i ordered some le3 heads with le2 cam. I should be able to run 12's with this setup with slicks and i'll still have under 5k into the car including the car and insurance is super cheap. might not be ur style but they make great project cars since they are super easy to work on with big block engine bar room and u can seat 5 with ease and cops dont notice u on the street and very cheap and easy to find one.

I'm leaning towards a Camaro. I'd love to get a clean body, drivetrain doesn't matter. Then drop in something all forged that'll give me at least 500rwhp. Blown or not... Leaning toward an auto, but a 6speed isn't out of the question....
    Don't want a Caprice. I owned a 93Z28 brand new in 93'. Kinda like the clean looks of the Z as opposed to a Firebird. Vette is probably too much $$$. I can do the Z, add the drivetrain and be way quicker than a stock vette for less money, I think....

teal

Yeah you can build a camaro and make it faster than a vette and spend less money than just buying a vette.

What year camaro???

Don't take my idea though, after i am done building my 69 i am going to buy a late 80's fbod and see if i can't make it awd, and get all the necessary stuff off a safari or astro awd.

I know this wasn't an option, but how about an 80's or early 90's BMW. It's really cool to see people that have put LSx engines in those. An 80's model could be found clean and cheap and the wiring is simpler on the those too.

Thread Information