Black
    2002 Trans Am

Deadly bird dropping:

Sometime between when I got back to work from lunch (12:00) and the time I left (4:50), a bird that must have been the size of a 747 dropped a huge bomb right on the hood of my ride. Took the car home, pulled out the hose and the soap and washed it off. I tried to just hose it off, but it must have been baked on, 'cause some of it just didn't want to let go. So anyway, I get it off and towel it dry and I notice that I can still see where it was. So I washed it again. I can still see where it was. So I break out the clay. I can still see where it was. I washed it one more time, and the spot is still there. WTF? It hasn't been that long since I waxed the car, so it doesn't seem like it should have damaged the clear coat. How do I get this out? Cleaner wax maybe?

It probably needs to be rubbed out.

First, I would try Meguiar's "Scratch-X". It comes in a tube and is not expensive. Rub the product in using a soft cotton terry cloth towel, or a microfiber towel.

3M Swirl Mark Remover, Meguiars Clear Coat Body Scrub or "Polish Step 1", or any "clear coat safe" polishing compound product should also work.
    Vance Chula
    1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
    2010 Camaro 2LT RS
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/vchula

Fairies Drive Imports camaro_five0's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

I also have a small spot on my hood, but it looks darker than the rest of the color. I didn't know you could use ScratchX on spots like that. I might try it out. Any other suggestions?

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by VChula

First, I would try Meguiar's "Scratch-X". It comes in a tube and is not expensive. Rub the product in using a soft cotton terry cloth towel, or a microfiber towel.

3M Swirl Mark Remover, Meguiars Clear Coat Body Scrub or "Polish Step 1", or any "clear coat safe" polishing compound product should also work.

I would do just what VChula said but I'm afraid you're still going to see it somewhat...........Its going to help alot but not get totally rid of it.

Had the same thing happen to me and no matter what I tried I could see it under different lights..
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by VChula

Can you get those from just any parts store? If so, I'll run by tomorrow and try 'em out...hopefully with more luck than you, 4get. [crosses fingers]

You should be able to get all of them at any parts store.

The 3M product is also known "Finesse-It Swirl Mark Remover".

The products I mentioned are the least invasive on your clear coat.

On my cars, I use Griot's products. Their Machine polishes and wax work the best on my black car. (see for yourself in my signature links)
    Last edited by VChula; 05-08-2006 at 07:41 PM.

Red
    WS6 M6 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1
    Sometime between when I got back to work from lunch (12:00) and the time I left (4:50), a bird that must have been the size of a 747 dropped a huge bomb right on the hood of my ride. Took the car home, pulled out the hose and the soap and washed it off. I tried to just hose it off, but it must have been baked on, 'cause some of it just didn't want to let go. So anyway, I get it off and towel it dry and I notice that I can still see where it was. So I washed it again. I can still see where it was. So I break out the clay. I can still see where it was. I washed it one more time, and the spot is still there. WTF? It hasn't been that long since I waxed the car, so it doesn't seem like it should have damaged the clear coat. How do I get this out? Cleaner wax maybe?
    It wont help you for what has happend, (i went thru it before also) but you need to wait and let the "bomb" liquify before scrubbing. if you have foamy window cleaner w/o ammonia like you need for tinted windows. Spray a bunch right around and on top of the "bomb" and let it sit for like 5-10 minutes it will wipe right off wash as usual and your good to go. if you dont have any spray then soak a towel with hot water and let it sit for 10 minutes it will loosen the "bomb" as well. By scrubing on the "bomb" before it is loosened you inadvertantly scratched the clear coat. Good luck man sorry for your pain

black
    1996 mark VIII

I remember reading somewhere that seagull crap eats through the avg clearcoat in approximately 30 mins.. but I know bird crap eats through it regardless.

You may have none left there. Paint will shine up even though there's no clear on it but you'll always see the edge. If it's a white car it can stain your paint and/or clear if it doesn't go through it but alot of people just aren't picky enough to notice.

White
    '97 Z28 Z4C

Get out the random orbital polisher... Arf! With a little effort it will minimize/eliminate the blemish...

Lil Dog in a big pound

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Dog
    Get out the random orbital polisher... Arf! With a little effort it will minimize/eliminate the blemish...

Lil Dog in a big pound
    X2. Here's a demonstration I found.
    http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/bird_etching.html

Thread Information