Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Road Perdition Orbitor Buffer any good ???

10 inch 2600 rpm shock absorbtion, self lock switch found it on sale at advance auto for $19.99......would this be a good buy and starter buffer for me or a waste of $$$$

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Just to put things into perspective for you...
    Orbital buffers are different than rotary buffers. Orbital buffer oscillate on its axis, it doesn't spin all around like a rotary buffer would

That being said, the most popular orbital buffer is the PC (Porter Cable) which is widely used by detailing enthusiasts around the World
    The PC has a speed setting of 1k to 6k OPM. Normally you would use #3 setting (3K opm) to just apply waxes or sealants. To do some paint correction you would use the appropiate cutting pad and polish combo, and work it upto 5.5k to 6k opm for it to do some measurable corrections

So, this buffer you saw at Advanced Auto will only be good for two things:
    1- apply wax, sealant, mild polishes and glaze
    2- remove wax, sealant, mild polishes and glaze

If that describes something that would help you, then it won't be too bad, but don't expect more than what it's designed to do. I think it will speed up your wax and sealant or glaze application, and with the right polish, working it slowly over the surface, it may make your paint look better as far as superficial swirls, or those type of swirls caused by a towel, or washes per-se
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 05-16-2007 at 09:56 PM.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict8 View Post
    10 inch 2600 rpm shock absorbtion, self lock switch found it on sale at advance auto for $19.99......would this be a good buy and starter buffer for me or a waste of $$$$
    I was looking into that type of stuff today man. I've got a buddy with a body shop and he was giving me the low down on the subject. Contact me later on and I'll let you know more.

He told me about the techniques of how to use the machines, the chemicals, the different pads, and some other things. You don't want to just go using it on your car because you'll have burnt paint in no time. He said everyone burns paint. I don't want to find out the hard way.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

He's right, and if he works at a bodydhop, most likely he uses a rotary buffer
    Rotary buffers, like Makita, or DeWalt are more powerful than the orbital buffer like the PC and if you're not careful, it will certaintly burn your paint
    The Orbital buffers are much safer, and they won't burn your paint as they don't generate as much heat as the rotary buffers do. To do paint correction with a rotary buffer, most people use a setting of no more than 1800rpm

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    He's right, and if he works at a bodydhop, most likely he uses a rotary buffer
    Rotary buffers, like Makita, or DeWalt are more powerful than the orbital buffer like the PC and if you're not careful, it will certaintly burn your paint
    The Orbital buffers are much safer, and they won't burn your paint as they don't generate as much heat as the rotary buffers do. To do paint correction with a rotary buffer, most people use a setting of no more than 1800rpm
    thanks man great info as always

Thread Information