Black
    98 Trans Am

Questions about various lights on a T/A?

Ok,

1. I thought all Firebirds had daytime running lights standard from 97, my 98's turn signals work, but they don't light up with the car running.

2.the passenger headlight doesn't pop up unless I try a few times, is this a relay problem? The drivers side makes noise after closing for a few seconds, is this the motor going bad?

3.how in the hell do you remove the foglight lenses?

I put a new bulb from behind, on the passenger side, but there are pieces of broken bulb and that heatshield inside the lens still. I unscrewed the screw on the top but still can't remove it.

The gas gauge doesn't light up when the lights are on like the rest of the gauges, is this a seperate bulb, and how much of a PITA is it to get at it?

Thanks for any help!

Black
    98 Trans Am

Oh, one more ?

Are you able to use just the fog lights without having the headlights popped up, because mine doesn't. My 95 was able to.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

The only ones I've messed with was getting to the fog light. There's an access panel under the car below the fog lights on each side. To 10MM bolts that bolt to the bumper. Just unbolt it and the cover folds down for access.

Navy Blue Metalic
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by F&Ybodlover View Post
    Ok,

1. I thought all Firebirds had daytime running lights standard from 97, my 98's turn signals work, but they don't light up with the car running.

2.the passenger headlight doesn't pop up unless I try a few times, is this a relay problem? The drivers side makes noise after closing for a few seconds, is this the motor going bad?

3.how in the hell do you remove the foglight lenses?

I put a new bulb from behind, on the passenger side, but there are pieces of broken bulb and that heatshield inside the lens still. I unscrewed the screw on the top but still can't remove it.

The gas gauge doesn't light up when the lights are on like the rest of the gauges, is this a seperate bulb, and how much of a PITA is it to get at it?

Thanks for any help!

I have the same problem except backwards, my DRL's work but no turn signal, i was told to replace the bulb sockets cause corrosion! Is this true?

Black
    2000 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by F&Ybodlover View Post
    Oh, one more ?

Are you able to use just the fog lights without having the headlights popped up, because mine doesn't. My 95 was able to.
    Yes you should be able to run with the foglights on w/out headlights popped up. Turn the headlight switch just one turn to activate the parking lights and then turn on your fog lights. If that doesn't work then you definitely have a problem of some sort.

Black
    2000 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by 1badassls1 View Post
    I have the same problem except backwards, my DRL's work but no turn signal, i was told to replace the bulb sockets cause corrosion! Is this true?
    My DRL's kept crapping out on me too. I took rubbing alcohol and some q tips and really cleaned the socket out good. It seemed to work fine. I guess those DRL's get alot of water in the housings, which kills the bulb and corrodes the socket. Maybe someone else has a fix for that problem.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer76 View Post
    Yes you should be able to run with the foglights on w/out headlights popped up. Turn the headlight switch just one turn to activate the parking lights and then turn on your fog lights. If that doesn't work then you definitely have a problem of some sort.

that's what I thought, one turn and the drivers headlight pops up, as well as the fogs if the swith is on. what could cause the headlight(s) to pop up on the first turn?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer76 View Post
    My DRL's kept crapping out on me too. I took rubbing alcohol and some q tips and really cleaned the socket out good. It seemed to work fine. I guess those DRL's get alot of water in the housings, which kills the bulb and corrodes the socket. Maybe someone else has a fix for that problem.
    I did just notice tonight the blinkers don't work
    in the front,(rears work) I'll try cleaning the socket first before I get new bulbs.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Yeah, take the turn signal bulbs out.. and REALLY clean out the sockets and put some dialectiric gel in there to seal them.. make sure your lenses aren't all cracked up like most are.. as for you headlight grinding when it closes.. yep.. you stripped a gear.. get the brass motor gear kit, fixes that prob.

As for the headlights popping up when you click the switch to the first click and not all the way to the right.. sound like you either have a short, or your switch is going bad.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Thread Information