Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Question help me please, I am losing my head

Hey guys, I have a problem with my car. I have a stick transmission on my 99 ls1 z28. when I used to drive it around town it would have no problem going from first gear to fourth gear. Now when it does that it make a loud pitch grinding noise. Actuall everytime I put it in fourth gear it grindes. Its not so much that I care that people think I suck at driving stick. Its more I really dont want my tranny giving out on me when I am racing. Last time I raced, it was from a dig and by the time I got into third gear the tranny locked up on me. I am totally serious, I could not move the stick for the life of me. I turned off the car....nothing....I let the car cool down....still nothing. Finally because you can start the car in third gear, I drove it for about 30 seconds and then it started working again. Hopwever now I have the fourth gear grinding problem. the tranny has about 80,000 miles on it so I don't know what the hell is going on. PLEASE HELP ME, PLEAZE I beg you.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z-28 SS

Just a guess but it sounds like your synchro's are going out. And w/80k miles sounds about right.

Ruby Red
    98 Camaro Z28 402 stroker

maybe you mater cylinder is going on you

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by LS1King View Post
    Hey guys, I have a problem with my car. I have a stick transmission on my 99 ls1 z28. when I used to drive it around town it would have no problem going from first gear to fourth gear. Now when it does that it make a loud pitch grinding noise. Actuall everytime I put it in fourth gear it grindes. Its not so much that I care that people think I suck at driving stick. Its more I really dont want my tranny giving out on me when I am racing. Last time I raced, it was from a dig and by the time I got into third gear the tranny locked up on me. I am totally serious, I could not move the stick for the life of me. I turned off the car....nothing....I let the car cool down....still nothing. Finally because you can start the car in third gear, I drove it for about 30 seconds and then it started working again. Hopwever now I have the fourth gear grinding problem. the tranny has about 80,000 miles on it so I don't know what the hell is going on. PLEASE HELP ME, PLEAZE I beg you.
    Your synchros are going out and maybe other parts as well. Rebuild as soon as possible cause the longer you drive like that the worse condition the tranny will be in.

Ruby Red
    98 Camaro Z28 402 stroker

Rip out your trans and see what up with it check you throw out bearing your master cylinder and test your syncros

Thread Information