Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Infinity 62.7i's - I think I hooked them up wrong

I have a 99 Z28 with the completely stock Monsoon stereo. I bought the Infinity 62.7i's for the door panels. I hooked them up using the supplied crossover. I only used one pair of the input wires in each door. I tested them out and both the cone and tweeter work.

However, I've come to find out I should of hooked up both pairs of oem wires (in the door panel) to the each pair of terminals on the Infinity speaker. I was not aware that I should not of used the Infinity crossover.

Should I change it? Will there be any difference? Also, now I am not sure which pair of oem wires - in the door panel - is for the tweeter (HU powered) and which is for the cone (Amp powered). This is because all the wires come in red/black pairs. Can you help me out guys....Thanks!

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I recall in each door panel one pair of wires was longer than the other. Can anyone tell me if the longer set of wires is for the tweeter or the cone.

I believe I hooked the crossover (both cone & tweeter) to the shorter pair of wires. I think that was the set for the amp.

Hope this helps. Thanks!
    Last edited by BowtieFever; 03-27-2006 at 01:08 PM.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Don't use the crossover, you can cut the wires off the crossover and it will give you the extra lenth you need to connect the speakers. If you are getting highs now, then that is the wire you will want to connect the tweeter to. The tweeter has a built in crossover on the 62.7i. The Monsoon amp is already crossed over, so there is no need to use it(you will not get highs out of the wires coming off the Monsoon amp). I didn't use the crossover on my 62.7i's and sounds great. Right now the way you have it set up, you are powering the front speakers off the HU only. You will get much better bass with the Monsoon amp powering them too(with the 25 extra watts or more of output). Also, the Infinity 62.7i's are 2ohm, running the speaker off the hu only will put stress on the amp in the HU, the tweeter isn't as power hungry and the 2 ohm isn't a issue, but when you run the woofer too, then you can overheat the HU and ruin the amp in it.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 03-27-2006 at 06:14 PM.

Thread Information