Boston Green
    '94 BMW 318c (soon 357c)

upgrade LS1 before Drop?

I'm getting all my lists together and writing down everything I should do once my LS1 arrives for my conversion (american muscle married to german engineering).

Any suggestions for mods to the LS1 before its been dropped in?

Silver
    2002 Z28

Do it all before you drop it in, should make installs a lot easier. Heads/Cam/Headers/Pulleys... other stuff like Lid stuff shouldnt matter weather you have it done first or not.

Boston Green
    '94 BMW 318c (soon 357c)

This is actually my first project of this caliber and I have a friend that will be guiding me through most of it - but yeah, most of my experiance up till now has just been maitenance level (drive belts, radiator, fan clutch, slave cylinder, etc.)

Can you give me more details about the before mentioned upgrades. When I posted the one thing I was thinking about was boring for more volume.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Well, do a couple searches and you will be able to find all you need. some longtube headers, pacesetters are the cheapest and still good quality but you could go with any of them. Try thunderracing, you can find a good cam and heads package there. Patriot heads or any type of LS6 modified heads will be get. ASP underdrive pulley, 160 thermostat... and then things that can go in after the install just as easy are a new free flowing lid... Throttle body, MAF, and the free mods.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Obviously you will have to custom make some headers-stock Camaro type headers probably won't fit. And your air box will have to be custom fabbed also-so forget the airlid suggestions. Going for a bigger bore involves slipping in bigger cylinder liners I believe. But I think you will get plenty of power from a head and cam package, aftermarket intake manifold, throttle body and MAF sensor and retuning the computer for your lighter weight vehicle to keep you happy.

Silver
    2002 Z28

definately post some pics of this... Its rear wheel drive right? There is the possibility that headers might fit, would buy the cheapest you can find since they will have to be modded anyway somewhat. Was figuring that you have something fabbed up to meet the stock airbox, but dont know exactly what you are planning? What year LS1 is it... does it have the LS6 intake? (I believe it does if it is from an 01-02)

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

What would be the point to using the stock airbox? The stock air intake set-up is made with the f-body engine compartment in mind. The BMW will have a different place to pick up air from-it has an actual grill opening . The headers are a long shot at best-try borrowing some before buying a set,might be able to modify them to work though.
    Last edited by 02z28ls1; 06-27-2006 at 01:53 PM.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Dunno anything about the car he is puting the engine into so just was not sure about the airbox... definately need some kind of custom intake though

Boston Green
    '94 BMW 318c (soon 357c)

well I'm probably following along with the nash kit -> http://www.nash8503.com/
    . Looks like he custom fabbed some headers. I might just ask nash for that one part.

My freind and I are still debating between what LS1 to grab. Suggestions? We're looking mostly at ebay.

Other hold ups on getting the project started is raiding junkyards looking for a 325 or m3 rear end - there is no bmw auto recycling near him.

My goal is to turn my little bmw 318ic into a ferocious beast with a loud roar and a harder bite.

Thread Information