Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

ls1 vs. m3 close race! (First race)

So about 1 month ago I went to go to the airport to pick up my ex-g/f from the airport and drive her home. My currents g/f was there too. (Don't ask, it's a long story... and it'll be another thread called "cat fight" ..lol) The only reason I mention it is 'cause my car was loaded. Me driving, g/f in passenger seat, ex-g/f in back seat, and about 80 lbs of luggage in the other back seat. (she was gone for a month in Taiwan... hence the heavy luggage) ANYways, it was about 10:30 PM and we were driving down Almaden expressway. I saw this light green BMW M3 up ahead and at the time I wasn't thinking about racing, but wanted to check out his ridiculous car color. As fate would have it, we were the only 2 cars on the road and the light ahead of us turned red. We pulled to a stop and exchanged looks and a smirk. After a little engine rev from him, I knew it was on. The light turned and I just let er rip. We both were going back and forth taking the lead whenever we shifted like the ski's of a cross country skiier and when I hit 4th and about 100 MPH (I think, all i know was I hit 4th. I was ) I was starting to pull to about 1 car length, but the shitty old light 1/4 mile ahead had to be a bitch and turn red. I guess it was his street so he rolled down the window, gave me a thumbs up, said "nice race" and turned off.

I was surprised how well matched up we were. Don't know the specs on the M3, but all i know is it ain't a V8 so I'm pretty impressed with those germans. (Could of also have been my noobie driving that made it such a close race but I don't know.) How much of a lead would I have gotten if my car wasn't loaded? Any guesses?

Oh, my car is all stock if you're wondering besides some free mods and appearance stuff.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

did the M3 have the fins on the fenders? I think those are the 300hp ones...not sure though. The chics and the luggage definatly screwed ya...I would've opened the doors and kicked'em out then popped the trunk and been like GRAB YOUR SHIIIT!! What free mods do ya have, and did you spin off the line?

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    did the M3 have the fins on the fenders?
    Dunno, wasn't really paying close attention... lol. T'was my first race and I was a little sweaty palmed and worried I might miss shift or something...
    The chics and the luggage definatly screwed ya...I would've opened the doors and kicked'em out then popped the trunk and been like GRAB YOUR SHIIIT!!
    Lol, I shoud've huh? :P
    What free mods do ya have, and did you spin off the line?
    I have clear corners, SLP Skip Shift Eliminator, K&N air filter, Rear hatch release fixed, xenon white headlights/highbeams, OPTX mini round driving lights as my foglights.

And no, I didn't spin off the line... I'm so proud of myself!!

Pic:

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

wow-cool story, now tell us about the threesome...i mean sexfight...i mean....err...

01vette
    im sure it was a m3 or he wouldnt have kept upp- any way good runn those little m3's are pretty fast 330hp

SS and 3/S TT owner

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Those M3's are nothing to sneeze at. The later ones have a 4.0 333 horsepower I6. There's a bone stock one that runs at my local 1/8th mile track all the time. In good air he runs low 8.5x's @ 81-82 MPH. In the heat of the Summer he was running 8.7's-8.8's @ 79-80 mph. I'm waiting to see how he runs when we get a 40ish degree night this Fall/Winter. I've actually seen a LOT of LS1 powered F-Body cars at this track that didn't run what the M3 did because of the driver. My car is an A4 and we were actually running pretty close before I got my converter (Yank PT4000) and added some sticky tires.

It was the clear coners that slowed you...

white
    2000 Camaro Z28

I saw a m3 run a few months ago. it ran a best of 13.2

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I don't like racing anybody when there are other people in the car. Every pound counts, plus if I do something stupid I would hate to know I hurt someone else too. I had a two friends with me once in my 01 Cobra, one guy was like 400 lbs and the other was at least 180. I came in at 185. Anyway, a Lightning pulls up beside me and I was dumb enough to try and show off, but I knew he was gonna get me off the line. Anyway, it was ugly. My car straight up nose over bogged with all the weight in the car. With all of us in the Cobra, it prolly was the same weight as the Lightning, with less power and gears. I shed those two and went looking for the guy that weekend, but never seen him again. Busted a couple Lightnings after that, every chance I could get. An embarrassing loss that could have been avoided without the extra weight, or if I would have just let the guy go on.

Anyway, nice kill. Those M3's are real smooth and pretty quick stock, but an M3 owner would need a lot of money (besides what he spent in that 50000 plus car) to run with a Head/Cam LS1 Camaro.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731
    It was the clear coners that slowed you...
    Yeah, get rid of those corners, they are just sapping your horsepower and adding unnecessary weight and wind resistance. (nice to see sarcasm is alive and thriving)

J. Kidd
    It's actually a 3.2L Inline 6 (333 hp, not too much torque, though) in the current E46 M3's.

Next gen is supposed to go to a 4.0L V8 (400 hp) based off the current V10 found in the M5 and M6 (basically just dropping two cylinders).

As long as they can keep the weight relatively low, it should be outstanding!

x-GTO Owner still love em ctbeiser's Avatar

Graystone
    2006 Silverado Z-71

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    wow-cool story, now tell us about the threesome...i mean sexfight...i mean....err...
    I agree....

Nice race but now on to the cat fight.....meow....hisssssssss

NBM
    '00 Z28

Just curious, you said you had free mods but never listed which ones.

Black
    '05 Ninja ZX-10R

Heh heh, I remember when I was 18, working in an auto parts store and one of the other guys I was working with said he could beat me in his cougar because he had clear corners. Being clear means the car can use less electricity because it doesn't have to push the light through the yellow, you know lol. He was dead serious too.

Thread Information