Thread: Sale the car?

Sale the car?

Seems like all I do is ask questions on this forum. Sorry, but I know very little about cars. =) I like the opinions though, so.

Like the title says. I have a 98 z28 coupe with 147500 miles atm. About 10k miles ago, she started tapping whenever I started her up. This would go away after she warmed up for a minute or two. The colder it is, the louder the tap is. All I've done to her is install a flowmaster exhaust around 15k miles.

I ran mobil 1 Synthetic up to 80k miles, was convinced by someone to switch to Penzoil normal 10/30 =/. Anyways, just went back to Mobil 1 from the advice of a mechanic. He says he would probably sell the car if the noise didn't go away.

Well, it still makes the noise, so I'm REALLY contemplating selling the car. Not sure if I want to or simply wait til the engine goes and take a loan out against it and drop another engine in her.

Not sure if keeping her will simply become a money sink, which is definately something I can't afford right now.

2002 TA

So is t knocking? Have you had your mechanic check it out? Compression test or anything? I'd explore the problem a little more before making any definite decisions, but it doesn't sound good.

He checked it out.

He told me it doesn't sound like piston slap. He put mobil 1 in it and told me if the sound came back, to try and sell it before the engine goes.

I may bring it by the dealership before I make a final decision.

I really don't think he did any compression tests on it. I asked him what he thought it was and he said he really wasn't sure. Just it didn't sound good.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Lol I would seriously consider getting another opinion. Our cars seem too have a lil slap which it sounds like. If the sound goes away after its warmed up thats normal. It probly wouldnt be worth it too sell it, you can pick up a used ls1 motor for a decent price, or pick up a new motor thats bigger and better. Just get a second opinion.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

That's what I've been thinking also.

Should I take it to the dealership for a second opinion, or simply find another good mechaninc around here ?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would recommend finding someone that's familiar with f-bodies and have them check it out. Where are you from? Do you have any local f-body clubs? If you do ask one of those guys to check it out. Most clubs have a resident guru. Either way I would get it checked out. The description makes it sound like piston slap which is very normal for the LS1.

I'll ask around. I'm about 90 minutes east of Houston if anyone knows of someone around here.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Yepp llike orion said, try too stay away from dealers, but im sure you can find a local guru.
    J

Thread Information