Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

I seriously hate my entire drivetrain right now

BUT THERE IS AN ACTUAL QUESTION AT THE END

Ok, so as some of you know, I recently busted the posi in my 10-bolt. Not such a big deal, expected it to happen eventually. ~$2300 later I have a Moser 12-bolt with a True Trac and 3.90s. Simple enough.

Next, I find out the guy who put the u-joints on for me fudged them up pretty bad at both ends, so that had to be fixed, to the tune of about $400 because of some machining involved and some other work done while the car was up in the air.

Then it seemed like the bearings in the tranny were about to go, and it started making all kinds of fun noises and vibrations, and I was expecting something in the $1000 parts and labor for a complete rebuild. Yesterday I get a call from my mechanic (who is a trusted friend, and co-worker when I'm home for the summer) and he says he is having a lot of trouble getting the 6th gear counter gear off and that he was going to have to cut it off, and it would be a couple hundred to replace. I have no choice at this point, so I say go ahead. Today he calls and tells me that he figured out why it was so hard to get off: THE DAMN MAIN SHAFT OF THE TRANSMISSION BENT! I'm making little more than stock maybe 340 at the wheels right now. Apparently this bent main shaft caused the bearing to get effed up and it froze the counter gear on there.

So now I'm thinking I'm going to put a Tremec in there instead of rebuilding the BorgWarner, which raises my one question: Is the only difference between the Tremec T-56 for Vipers and the one for F-Bodies the bellhousing? The price difference is only in the $200 range, so I wouldn't think the internals would be much different.

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Either go with a Richmond or go back with a rebuilt upgraded internal stock t-56. My buddy went through 3 stock trannys and finally upgraded with the good stuff and he is laying down a little over 450 on motor plus a 150 shot on it. He has had no problems.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

It's pretty much settled that I'll be going with the Tremec Viper tranny with a few extra goodies.

On a positive note, my Spec Stage 3 was wearing incredibly well and the pressure plate had only a few tiny hotspots after 40ish drag passes and ~14,000 miles.
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6
    SLP Lid, Flowmaster, Cutout, Spec Stage 3, Pro 5.0 w/ Lou's short stick, Pacesetter Race LT's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Nitto NT555R DR's, Moser 12-bolt with TrueTrac and 3.90s, RPM Speed LCA's and Panhard Bar

It is quite common to damage a trans output shaft/ extension when a diff lets loose. The Viper internals are not that different( and will not give you that much extra torque capacity).All Vipers came with carbon particle synchronizer blockers and have had the iron 3/4 shift fork since '98.You can put these parts into an Fcar trans and not haveto go through all the other conversions required to get a Viper T56 into your car.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 30thbird
    You can put these parts into an Fcar trans and not haveto go through all the other conversions required to get a Viper T56 into your car.
    Meant to say Tremec T-56 with goodies (i.e. some viper parts)

Thats the way to go.

99 Firebird Formula

Viper t56s also have straight cut gears.

WRONG the production Viper cuttings are produced the same as the Fcar parts( helical) Even the race Viper T56s( actually called T6Rs) have a helical citting, albeit less of a helix. There are no straight cut T56s gears made by Tremec.

99 Firebird Formula

I guess Dodge is lying to all of their students at Viper training classes then.

Yep they sure are, if thats what they told you.

Thread Information