White
    1991 Skyline GTR (Sold)

Any differences on a CA emissions car?

Does anyone know what the differences are between a CA emissions car (1999-2002 LS1 Camaro/Firebird) and a regular 49 state federally legal car? Any physical or electronic differences in the drivetrain?

I live in CA and want to put an LS1 into a project car I am working on. Since I need to take the car through the CA referee station, I want to make sure it will pass.

Thanks for your time.

-AL

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I was under the impression all cars sold..have to be able to pass ca emissions...besides a few certain low run models. You could do the swap i think it just has to be newer than the car your putting it in..and you'll need to not move the cats at all and keep the air...and egr if it came from a car before 2001.

White
    1991 Skyline GTR (Sold)

I understand the swap issues. My only concern is the CA emissions differences.

In my research I ran across a document on the C.A.R.B. website that says cars that are only 49 state (i.e. Federally legal) cannot be modified to become CA legal. This is not a problem as the project car I have is CA legal. Now I need to get a donor F-body LS1 that is CA emissions equiped.

I just wanted to know if there is a physical or electronic difference between a CA emissions LS1 and a 49 state (i.e. Federally legal) LS1.

Thanks,

-AL

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by HellBent View Post
    I understand the swap issues. My only concern is the CA emissions differences.

In my research I ran across a document on the C.A.R.B. website that says cars that are only 49 state (i.e. Federally legal) cannot be modified to become CA legal. This is not a problem as the project car I have is CA legal. Now I need to get a donor F-body LS1 that is CA emissions equiped.

I just wanted to know if there is a physical or electronic difference between a CA emissions LS1 and a 49 state (i.e. Federally legal) LS1.

Thanks,

-AL

you should be good..I believe ALL ls1s where 50 state emissions...just to be safe..i'd stick with the yers that had egr. 97-2000 vette and 98-2000 fbody.

Mrs.'s Boobies

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

According to Scott Settlemire only the 2002 models were certified as 50-state legal, regardless where purchased. This does not mean that the previous years had variations in emissions controls, they were more leanient on testing only. What that staement refers to is not that a federal emsission certified engine can not be installed in a CA vehicle, it means that you can not add parts missing from federal units to CA units. This was to "protect" owners rights who purchased out of state vehicles and brought them into CA. Since (chances are) the engine will be newer then the vehicle, it will pollute much less then the original engine ... speculating it is not a kit car.

Where did you get the engine (what year model vehicle) and what is it going into (year model vehicle)?
    George P. Lara
    Mine 2001 Camaro SS #0391: FQuick Garage
    Mrs.'s 2002 Camaro SS #7072: FQuick Garage

Thread Information