Thread: Ebay GTO

Red
    1997 Grand Prix

Ebay GTO

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here so I hope you'll be gentle. I'm considering buying a 2004 GTO and would like some opinions on going through Ebay. I've never bought anything other than little stuff off the site so I'm a little worried about potentially buying a car through the service. Also, my father-in-law knows a guy that owns a used car dealership and buys cars at auction. Is this a better way to go than going through Ebay? I'd appreciate any advice you have.

Thanks,
    James

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Be careful!

There are many fine cars listed on ebay but be real careful of absolute misrepresented JUNK! The seller's feedback is critical with cars. If you find a private owner with 99.8 to 100% feedback on all his prior selling auctions, then there is a good chance he is accurately describing his vehicle. On the other hand, if you see 3 or more recent negatives, complaining about anything, I would move on to another car. Dealers are known to move their 'leftovers' on ebay. I would not buy from a dealer on ebay without seeing the car first. No need to bid, just go to the lot (I don't care how far away it is for such an important purchase) and drive it. They will sell it to you and cancel the ebay auction. A $500 round trip plane ticket to see the car on some weekend is money well spent when spending $15k plus for a car. A lemon or abused car is a nightmare! If you are looking at cars under $10k, you might want to keep your search within a day's driving distance. There are also MANY Katrina cars still out there too. Texas is loaded with them and Louisiana speaks for itself. A personal inspection would be a must in my book. I'm sure many Texas cars are fine but you want to make sure with such an important financial decision. Katrina cars are actually showing up all over the country so always keep that in mind. Talk to the owner of the car and check that feedback!! Good luck!!

Burgundy
    1995 Razzi Olds Aurora

Oh yeah i forgot about them katrina cars...damn. I was about to buy an 04 for 17 grand. The thing drove beautiful but there was some very obvious red flags in the engine compartment and trunk had mold spots etc. Very strange. And the car was registered in Louisiana too but being sold in VA. If it wasnt for carfax im telling you.

Just make sure you carfax every car (buy the 30 day unlimited) you even slightly think about getting.

Red
    1997 Grand Prix

Thanks for the advice guys. I didn't even think about going to the place to see the car first but it's great advice. What do you think about going through the other route for car auctions? My father-in-law found a hard to find Ford F-150 that way and loves it. Basically he was looking for a 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive truck and I think they make 3 or 4 of those a year! The problem with the auction is that I won't be able to drive or see the car before hand and just have to go with it. On the other hand it should be better than Ebay because its only for dealers. Suggestions? Thanks again for the advice!

James

Thread Information