Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corvette info

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Corvette info

Im considering getting my first vette and feel I need to know more to make a good decision... I would like to know all there is to now about c5 vettes. I would like to know the differences in the years (mechanical, body, everything, differences in c5/c5 z06, differences between the vette ls1 and z28/TA ls1's and anything else there is to know. Thanks in advance.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

The first thing -and a relistic one- is to determine your budget; how much money you're willing to pay or finance to get a C5 Corvette

Late 90's C5's can be had for about 19k to low 20's (LS1 powered)
    I believe there were some hardtop models (Z06 look-alike) in 1999 and 2000; all the hardtop including all the Z06's are manual transmission

The coupe models came in both auto and manual (LS1)
    The 2001 to 2004 you can find the Z06 and regular coupes. The coupes have the LS1 the Z06 have the LS6

The price range on the Z06 2001-2002 could be from $26K and up, depending where you look
    I'd recommend taking a look at the Autotrader.com and start your search there, that would give you an idea what the going price is

Once you determine what you want, you can start working on your financing arrangements to get approved, and then make offers

I've bought my 2002 Z06 used in 2005. The asking price was $35K I talked the guy down to $30,000 and that's what I paid for mine
    2007 Audi RS 4

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Thank for the info. Iv got most of my financial issues worked out, im looking at several early c5's anywhere from 15 to 18 right now with slightly higher miles and as soon as my truck sells i will be ready to purchase. I just wanted to make sure i know everything so that when i do make my purchase, its the right one... Also I am sort of looking for some things to pursuade me into it a little more.

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Is there any year to be weary of? , for example was there any problems say in the 97 that were worked out in later models.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by sskid View Post
    Is there any year to be weary of? , for example was there any problems say in the 97 that were worked out in later models.
    Well, as a rule of thumb, *I* always try to buy cars from the second run, or from the second year
    For example, there were some minor issues with the 2001 Z06 on oil consumption, but that was just a few, and the problem got corrected towards the end of 2001
    I don't know of any issues with the 97 C5 which happens to be the first year

If you take your time searching, you could get a 97-99 C5 for 18k

As far as Corvette goes, I don't recall any issues with them other than the oil consumption issue on the 2001 due mostly to improve the power

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

One corvette web site I saw said that the 97 c5 had 0-60 in 4.8 and 1/4 in 13.3.... and the 98 c5 0-60 in 5.2 and 1/4 in 13.8?... Not sure if that is correct or not but thats why I asked if there were any changes between 97 and 98 or so on. And yes I have heard of the 2001 oil problem due to a flutter ring or somthing.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by sskid View Post
    One corvette web site I saw said that the 97 c5 had 0-60 in 4.8 and 1/4 in 13.3.... and the 98 c5 0-60 in 5.2 and 1/4 in 13.8?... Not sure if that is correct or not but thats why I asked if there were any changes between 97 and 98 or so on. And yes I have heard of the 2001 oil problem due to a flutter ring or somthing.
    Well, the fbody of the same year were faster than the early C5's
    The good thing the vette responds well to mods...

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

buying a vette is like buying any car- you want to look for the newest year, the one with the lowest miles, the least beat up or driven hard, etc. We waited to get the 98 to make sure all of the bugs were out with the 97- we are on our 4th vette and the 2 c5s had a couple of recalls but chevy always takes care of those.

z06's are awesome- faster but also have to be in a hard top.
    if you can get 2000 or up- a lil quicker, i think they are tuned better?

All around great cars! The vettes seem to be more responsive to the gas and break to me compared to my ws6. Definitely better brakes, which is nice.

Heres ours: Mom's 2000 vert, dad's 98 (sold), dad's new 08 ls3

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

If you can find a Z51 optioned Vette they have better suspension, brakes and transmission, but the same motor as the base coupe.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by Randi820 View Post
    buying a vette is like buying any car- you want to look for the newest year, the one with the lowest miles, the least beat up or driven hard, etc. We waited to get the 98 to make sure all of the bugs were out with the 97- we are on our 4th vette and the 2 c5s had a couple of recalls but chevy always takes care of those.

z06's are awesome- faster but also have to be in a hard top.
    if you can get 2000 or up- a lil quicker, i think they are tuned better?

All around great cars! The vettes seem to be more responsive to the gas and break to me compared to my ws6. Definitely better brakes, which is nice.

Heres ours: Mom's 2000 vert, dad's 98 (sold), dad's new 08 ls3
    Click for full size
    Nice line up!

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Nice line up!
    haha thanks, we have some fun toys

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Thanks for all the info guys. Now I just gotta sell my damn truck. Id really love to have a zo6 but am not pushin towards that much because I know its out of my price range, and also I definitly am trying to find the z51 handling package....

Hot black trans am-what I would give to have my parents drive the cars yours do.

1966 Corvette Coupe

If you want a targa or vert go 01 and up (i think 01 had the ls6 intake and the later ones i think 01 and up again had better mastercylinders)

if you want a hard top i wouldnt get a z06... my hard top was low $20ks with 35k miles... all hardtops have z-51 suspension whcih if i remeber corrctly is the same as z06 suspension with slightly softer rear springs... it handles quite well i assure you...

the reason i say dont get a zo6 is if you plan on modding more than just headers it doesnt really matter too much if you start with a ls6 or ls1... if your doing wheels, intake, cam... your just pretty much voided y you bought a z... and you can always make your car look better than a z... i really dont like the brake ducts or the screened fog light areas... and you can always get better looking wheels...

the tranny on the z is better no doubt... but other than that... its a LIL lighter...

but if you go to a vette meet you will see plenty of z... just try to find a hard top... there wer like 6,500 ever produced and alot have been lost in road racing accidents...

MAKE SURE YOU GET HUD!!! that shit is awesome...

-me

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    If you want a targa or vert go 01 and up (i think 01 had the ls6 intake and the later ones i think 01 and up again had better mastercylinders)

if you want a hard top i wouldnt get a z06... my hard top was low $20ks with 35k miles... all hardtops have z-51 suspension whcih if i remeber corrctly is the same as z06 suspension with slightly softer rear springs... it handles quite well i assure you...

the reason i say dont get a zo6 is if you plan on modding more than just headers it doesnt really matter too much if you start with a ls6 or ls1... if your doing wheels, intake, cam... your just pretty much voided y you bought a z... and you can always make your car look better than a z... i really dont like the brake ducts or the screened fog light areas... and you can always get better looking wheels...

the tranny on the z is better no doubt... but other than that... its a LIL lighter...

but if you go to a vette meet you will see plenty of z... just try to find a hard top... there wer like 6,500 ever produced and alot have been lost in road racing accidents...

MAKE SURE YOU GET HUD!!! that shit is awesome...

-me
    Well whatever I get it will most likely be an early model c5 due to price limitations so that eliminates the chance of getting a hud as much as id loved to have it, Also im more leaning towards a targa because I LOVED the t-tops in my camaro. (did the targas have an option of the z-51 suspension or is that just hardtops?) Also the chance of me finding a z06 in my price range is very unlikely but I do very much agree with you on what you said.... Are you selling yours? I think I saw in another thread that you might be. If so how much?

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

my freind has a vette for sale right now to me only its a white 99 frc w/ 80 k miles and after market wheels that he let me and my wife pick from corvettes of houston a couple of yrs ago he will sell it for 14k. it sits since he bought his 03 vert and told me a long time ago i had first dibs but my hawk is becoming hard to part with so i think im going to pass.good luck with your search .

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    my freind has a vette for sale right now to me only its a white 99 frc w/ 80 k miles and after market wheels that he let me and my wife pick from corvettes of houston a couple of yrs ago he will sell it for 14k. it sits since he bought his 03 vert and told me a long time ago i had first dibs but my hawk is becoming hard to part with so i think im going to pass.good luck with your search .
    That's a good buy. Especially when the white hardtop is a rare one. That's the only color (white) on both the HT and the Z06 that were made the fewest...

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Does anyone have a very detailed write up (or know where I can find one) on the differences in the c5 years like there is in the camaro section on difference in f-body years?

1966 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    wow dude you are seriously one piece of shit.

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Thanks man

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird Formula

go to corvettecollection.com

they have some nice vettes

Thread Information