Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

Aftermarket stereo system questions

ok, im almost positive someting along these lines have been asked before....im ripping my stock monsoon stuff out and going completly aftermarket...which is the easiest way of doing this? i have heard people bypass the amp by using to stereo adaptors. but if i were to do this what load will it put on my after market h.u? cuz after market h.u's will power 4 speakers thru their hard wire, ie not using rca's. but my camaro has supposedly 8 speakers...although the door speakers are wired as 2 speakers each when their is obviously 1 speaker there. so which set of wires would i use there for my new speakers? and will my after market head unit even work trying to power 6 speakers on its own? i tried wiring my tahoe like that and the stereo didnt even turn on. i took those 2 off and it worked flawlessly. so yeah. do i do the amp bypass this way, or am i better off rewiring the car? and then wat do i do about powering 6 speakers??? any info will be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance guys and gals

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 99BoneMaro View Post
    ok, im almost positive someting along these lines have been asked before....im ripping my stock monsoon stuff out and going completly aftermarket...which is the easiest way of doing this? i have heard people bypass the amp by using to stereo adaptors. but if i were to do this what load will it put on my after market h.u?
    --?? If you are going completely aftermarket, why does this stuff matter? What exactly do you mean by completely aftermarket then? You can use the Monsoon amp if you wish - if you want new speakers, a new HU, new amps....then I would recommend new wiring as well.

cuz after market h.u's will power 4 speakers thru their hard wire, ie not using rca's.
    --So will the Delco HU if you rip it from the Monsoon system; the OEM HU creates all the distortion though so there's no reason to keep it if someone is upgrading. The stock Delco HU does not have line-level outs for the Monsoon amp either -- the Monsoon amp uses speaker level inputs (which is why it's so simple to replace the HU without any confusion).

but my camaro has supposedly 8 speakers...although the door speakers are wired as 2 speakers each when their is obviously 1 speaker there.
    --Front doors are coaxially mounted components - which are considered to be separate speakers since they are wired that way, and since a speaker is something that reproduces sound from electrical signals, so you can think of them as two separate components.

so which set of wires would i use there for my new speakers?
    If you get a new HU I would recommend powering SVC speakers directly from that.

If you have an aftermarket amp I would wire directly from that.

If you plan on using Monsoon amp with SVC speakers, use one pair of wires only (the woofer ones) since they are unfiltered unlike the HP tweeter wires (HPF in Monsoon amp for Camaro Monsoon syst.)

If you go with components, you could use all 4 wires then -- but every set of component speakers has crossovers specifically for that speaker that are best to use rather than stock filters (though you most likely wont cause any damage to your new speakers -- best for components is just to use an aftermarket amp).

and will my after market head unit even work trying to power 6 speakers on its own?
    --No - not only that, but it wouldn't provide nearly enough power for the sail panel speakers...nothing wrong with using the Monsoon amp until you upgrade later -- it's the Delco HU that sucks.

i tried wiring my tahoe like that and the stereo didnt even turn on. i took those 2 off and it worked flawlessly.
    --What's "those 2" ??

so yeah. do i do the amp bypass this way, or am i better off rewiring the car? and then wat do i do about powering 6 speakers??? any info will be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance guys and gals
    --Bypass what way? Sounds to me like you're not looking for a serious upgrade and would be best off doing HU, speakers, sub? and using the Monsoon amp still to power at least your sails and hatch speakers (if you choose not to eliminate the hatch speakers).

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

im going completly aftermarket. as in hopefully getting rid of the monsoon amp and replacing all my speakers with aftermarket infinities. and am also throwing 2 12' subs in rear on its own amp. but i don know how to wire 6 speakers up to the aftermarket headunit without the use of a 2nd amp. or is that the only way to do so? i saw you can use 2 stereo adaptors and u ca completly bypass the monsoon amp which is the way i was saying on bypassing it, but if i did it that way, i wouldhave 6 speakers on a load then. with no amp...or would it be possible to leave the monsoon amp in, to power my 6 speakers and then throw in my own aftermarket amp to power just subs? i kinda know enough to know what im half ass talking about, but not nearly enough to figure out thi monsoon stuff. its confusing as almighty hell haha. so any help would be appreciated. i guess my main question is do i do a monsoon amp bypass, or do i do a rewire of the whole car and then throw a amp on my speakers in the car or what? haha sorry for the confusion from me i just woke and and trying to make sense of all of this

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

why would you want to use existing wires with a new amp?

I'll read through your last post later and respond better -- but if you want COMPLETELY aftermarket, I'd just get a new HU (obviously), and one of the following examples:

mono and 2 ch (amp front components only, run sails (if you want full range) off og HU)

mono and 4ch (power doors and sails off 4ch)

5ch only (self explanatory)

4ch only (doors off of 2 ch, bridge other 2 for sub)

or one of the many other ways to go about this

-------------------

running six speakers off of one 4 ch amp for example is a bad idea since you will lose some control over individual speakers, power, etc.... The best thing to do is 1 ch per speaker -- you could always use a more powerful 2ch amp for sails if you keep bass there and doors and hatch off of HU, or if full range at sails then just a 4 ch for front/sails, HU for hatch speakers (you dont even need/may not want hatch speakers anyway)....etc etc.....

Keep in mind the sails are "subs" and the signal they receive is LPF from the Monsoon amp -- so if you wish to keep midbass there, it wont just magically happen.

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

Looks like I'm next. I have a new head unit with dvd screen but I don't know if its a 2 or 4 channel. How can I tell? I am planning to run Power from the battery to a circut breaker to a capacitor then to a distribution block to two amps (one 700w and one 1000w). The two door speakers replaced with Rockford 6" subs. The back sides with Sony 6.5 mids. The back pannels with Sony 6x9 mids and a 10" sub in the back. Both amps are 4 channel. What is the best way to wire this all together? Where can I find help? Are there clubs for sterio fans that might help? I have all this stuff sitting here and don't know where or how to start. Please HELP.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by parnelligq View Post
    Looks like I'm next. I have a new head unit with dvd screen but I don't know if its a 2 or 4 channel. How can I tell? I am planning to run Power from the battery to a circut breaker to a capacitor then to a distribution block to two amps (one 700w and one 1000w). The two door speakers replaced with Rockford 6" subs. The back sides with Sony 6.5 mids. The back pannels with Sony 6x9 mids and a 10" sub in the back. Both amps are 4 channel. What is the best way to wire this all together? Where can I find help? Are there clubs for sterio fans that might help? I have all this stuff sitting here and don't know where or how to start. Please HELP.
    Are you in southern Wisconsin by chance? I'm about 30 minutes from the border -- also -- is all this equipment purchased and that's what you have to work with?

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

I am in Elkhorn, Wi. Also about 30minutes from the border. I do have all previously mentioned. I am chasing down all the little stuff. Terminal conectors, side post adaptors etc. Are you in Wi or IL?

Thread Information