black
    98 z28

cheap tires strike again

Today driving down the road my car spun out going up a very small curb up into some grass. The ground was a little wet and i had to get on it a little to not get rear ended by oncoming traffic. Everything seems ok. I was really worried about breaking my axle with going up the curb sideways, but there are no sounds coming from it and it seems to be fine. The alignment also seems to be ok. The only thing that seems a little damaged is the front rim has a very small bend in it. I cleaned it out and sprayed some windex in there to test if it was leaking and it doesn't appear to be. Is there anything else i should check? Or should i just keep my eye on the front tire pressure to make sure it is not leaking?

blue,blue
    00 z-28 m6, 06 H3

you failed to say what tires you are running.
    LS7 clutch,01 slave,Corsa 3" stainless exhuast,drilled/slotted rotors + ceramic pads,160 thermo,Mti clear lid,msd 8.5 wires & Ngk plugs...more to come!
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2311455

black
    98 z28

they are 245/55/16 perelli p3000, they have some miles on them tho. It does not help that I have 400 rwhp being put through such a small contact patch

blue,blue
    00 z-28 m6, 06 H3

change tires and go up to a 275. try kumho i here they are very good.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by zman98 View Post
    they are 245/55/16 perelli p3000, they have some miles on them tho. It does not help that I have 400 rwhp being put through such a small contact patch
    You're running 400WHP through 245/55/16's??

At a minimum, you should be running 275's out back. Perferrably 285's, or even 315's for that much power, but of course you'd need new wheels.

If you want to have ultimate traction, even in the wet, get some 10.5" wide 17" or 18" wheels with 315/40 Eagle F1 GS tires. No more problems after that

black
    98 z28

Yeah i think i might use this as a good excuss to shell out the money for wider tires. A friend of mine has the stock rims off of a 2002 camaro ss that he is willing to sell me. He has 275's on them now, i believe that it is a 17 by9.5" rim. What would be the widest tire i could put on that size rim?

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Yeah i think i might use this as a good excuss to shell out the money for wider tires. A friend of mine has the stock rims off of a 2002 camaro ss that he is willing to sell me. He has 275's on them now, i believe that it is a 17 by9.5" rim. What would be the widest tire i could put on that size rim?
    315's

Nitto DR's: 315/35/17

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Sounds like the problem isn't the tires...it's the driver. If you wait for a bigger hole in traffic, you wouldn't have to hammer it on cold, wet pavement. It's not an EVO...

To try and contribute in a more positive way, I guess I should say to check the supporting parts of the suspension like the sway bar end links, upper & lower control arms, panhard rod, etc. for any visual damage. Might not be a bad idea to go have a Nat'l Tire & Battery type place check the alignment. Should be less than $60.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SSpdDmon View Post
    Sounds like the problem isn't the tires...it's the driver. If you wait for a bigger hole in traffic, you wouldn't have to hammer it on cold, wet pavement. It's not an EVO...

To try and contribute in a more positive way, I guess I should say to check the supporting parts of the suspension like the sway bar end links, upper & lower control arms, panhard rod, etc. for any visual damage. Might not be a bad idea to go have a Nat'l Tire & Battery type place check the alignment. Should be less than $60.
    He didn't say he hammered it...he just said he tried to accelerate into traffic, and lost control. Sure, his drivng played the major part in him losing control, but you can't argue that 245/55's on 16 inch rims with 400WHP are just asking for trouble.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Traction control saves my butt all the time. I depend on it in situations like that.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

The first and foremost thing you should do is put that wheel on the back. Always keep your worst wheels and tires on the back.. It's better to blow out a back rather than loose your steering.
    Would you rather blow out a front tire or back tire going 50mph?!?!

black
    98 z28

The tire is definently holding air. I believe i am going to buy my friends rim's that have 275 tires on them already. I know they are not great tires but anything is better then what i have on there now.

Additionally, traction control is my savior as well. I am not positive why i turned it off in this situation. Usually when the traction does kick in it sounds like i am really putting a strain on my drive train, sometimes it even sounds like i am getting wheel hop when traction control is kicking in. I was not even close to being full throttle when it went around. Kinda suprised

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The 98 and newer have a Bosch traction /anti lock system that works great IMHO. It's not putting a strain on the drivetrain-it works the throttle and fuel management- and reduces power through the ignition also. It is possible for it to apply the rear brakes in extreme situations, what ever it feels is necessary to eliminate wheel spin. Of course switching it off can be fun, I do that sometimes too. But I usually leave it on so it can save my butt.
    Wanted to add that cheap tires are rarely a real bargain, you get what you pay for.

red
    2000 ss

im running sumitomo hII or somthing like that...

i think they arent too bad of a tire but i get some bad traction at the track...
    i know im not that great at shifting but my best 1/8th is like 9.0...
    i've never ran droping the tire pressure either...i run like 35lbs when ive been racin i know thats also hurting me too..?

black
    98 z28

Yeah I have never run my car at the track because of traction problems. I can't even full throttle the car in first or second gear without the traction control kicking in. I forgot to mention that i also have 4.10 gears along with the 400 rwhp. I believe that i will be buying my friends rims from his 2002 SS, and probably will put a nitto DR on them when it gets a little warmer. Cold weather and DR don't usually get along very well.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Yeah I have never run my car at the track because of traction problems. I can't even full throttle the car in first or second gear without the traction control kicking in. I forgot to mention that i also have 4.10 gears along with the 400 rwhp. I believe that i will be buying my friends rims from his 2002 SS, and probably will put a nitto DR on them when it gets a little warmer. Cold weather and DR don't usually get along very well.
    Why would you run down the track with the traction control on?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Today driving down the road my car spun out going up a very small curb up into some grass. The ground was a little wet and i had to get on it a little to not get rear ended by oncoming traffic. Everything seems ok. I was really worried about breaking my axle with going up the curb sideways, but there are no sounds coming from it and it seems to be fine. The alignment also seems to be ok. The only thing that seems a little damaged is the front rim has a very small bend in it. I cleaned it out and sprayed some windex in there to test if it was leaking and it doesn't appear to be. Is there anything else i should check? Or should i just keep my
    eye on the front tire pressure to make sure it is not leaking?
    Have you driving on the freeway yet........? No vibrations...........? Then you should be alright.
    On the tires for the money and if your somewhere where it rains you can't beat the Kumho 712's. The last pair of 275's I got were like $88 each.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

black
    98 z28

Yeah I took it on a long trip down to the Ocean over the weekend. The car didn't have any unnormal vibrations. I believe that it will be ok but i will keep my eye on it.

Thanks for all the help.

Thread Information