2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

6 year old tires? Need to be replaced?

So I just purchased my 2001 TA about 3 months ago.

The tires had never been changed, but they looked fine because the car was stored in a garage most of the time and have only 21k highway miles on them. Upon a close inspection, some of the tires have a couple of small cracks….

I knew the tires were going to eventually need to be replaced, but I am going to make a 600 mile round trip to Las Vegas and I was worried about a blow out because of the age of the tire. I've been keeping an eye on them this past week and checking the pressure and haven't noticed anything unusual ….

What do you guys think.... should I change them and not risk a blow out?
    Last edited by 1TA LS1; 07-18-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

hmmm...lot of heat out there and they could be dry-rot...garage stored is a good plus though. Try this; do a massive burn out and if you still got wheels in the back, have a nice trip

2001 WS6, 2003 SRT4(sold)

If they maintain proper tire pressure, have sufficient tread depth, drive smoothly, and have withstood some "spirited" driving you've undoubtedly performed, then I'd keep them on there.

Be sure to get an aligntment done once you do get new tires. I did not right away.. and now I have an undesirable wear pattern so I'm screwed into holding the steering wheel constantly to the left for the life of my tires. Learn from my novice mistake.

I wouldn't take the chance, replace them.

The tires have good even wear. I got an alignment after I bought the car and brought it home. It was off just a little from the previous owner. Pretty good considering it's 6 year old car...

Drvies smooth, holds pressure well, and I did some "spirited" driving after the first week Held fine...

Thanks for the feedback guys.... I think I will wait to get the new tires. The old ones still have a lot of tread left...

Anyone recommend tires? I was thinking about Goodyear F1's....

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    even if they look and feel fine?

I love my Pirelli PZero Nero.. even if I did allow them to incorrectly wear.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    I'm with this guy if you feel you are really taking a chance. Peace of mind is worth it. Also, if something is nagging you about the safety of the tires, replace them. The only thing arguably more important than tires on your vehicle is you.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

The F1s are nice i have 285s on the back of my supra but it doesnt really matter what i had back there since i was making 517rwhp. But i really like the tires, there great in everything but snow, yes i drove a 500rwhp in the snow for a day and i couldnt get up the on ramp going to the freeway so i had to have it towed onto the freeway lol. I take it you dont have to worry about snow.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I heard something about tires should be replaced every 4-5 years.

I have driven on some rotten tires before though without a problem.

green
    98 formula

if they were on one of my trailers I would not replace them but on a nice car tires are a lot cheaper than paint keep them for massive burnouts

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firehawk

I just replaced the tires on mine for the first time. They were also six years old (garaged with only 13,000 miles) and showed signs of dry rot. I recently had line locks installed so I made several smoke shows before changing them. I saved the other two for some future fun.

Why take the chance on anything happening? It's friggin' hot as hell and I wouldn't want to be changin a tire in that kind of heat!!

My vote: Burn 'em and Change 'em.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trams Am WS6

Don't mean to hijack, but my tires are 8 years old. No signs of dry rot on the outside of the tires. Don't know what the inside looks like. I take it I should replace them? It does kinda feel like they need rebalanced though. Just put 4 new tires on my Jeep, can't afford to do this car to.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Seems like the census is "change them".

I am going to get 4 tires installed tomorrow morning. I am not going to take the chance. $500 "out the door" from America's tire company. I am getting Falken ZE-512 tires. Not the best, but it's fine for now. At least their Z-rated. I will probably upgrade later when I do the suspension and brakes in the winter.

Better spending $500 on tires then "depositing" money in Vegas.

Right now I am going out to do some fatty burn outs Not too much, I still have to get to the tire shop in the morning....

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

the rubber dries up w/ time and cracks as well.
    Traction will be very limited to say the least.
    I'd change them.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Changed the tires today.... what a difference. Much better. I feel safe driving anywhere now.
    I asked the service guy at America's tire co. He said rubber on the tires dry up and begin to rot and crack at around 4 to 5 years. Faster in extreme weather, hot/cold. - He showed me my old tires after the replaced, and said going at high speeds would have been dangerous at high temperatures.

FYI - Anyone running on old tires, such as 4+ years old, look for any signs of cracking. I recommend changing them out. Especially cars with low miles that sit most of the time on old rubber, like mine.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by 1TA LS1 View Post
    Changed the tires today.... what a difference. Much better. I feel safe driving anywhere now.
    I asked the service guy at America's tire co. He said rubber on the tires dry up and begin to rot and crack at around 4 to 5 years. Faster in extreme weather, hot/cold. - He showed me my old tires after the replaced, and said going at high speeds would have been dangerous at high temperatures.

FYI - Anyone running on old tires, such as 4+ years old, look for any signs of cracking. I recommend changing them out. Especially cars with low miles that sit most of the time on old rubber, like mine.
    old rubber? so I should change the one in my wallet? its only 8yrs old

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by 1TA LS1 View Post

Better spending $500 on tires then "depositing" money in Vegas....
    I call it "donating"

Thread Information