Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Upcoming race against built Mustang

My friends been working on his stang a lot lately, it's a 94 GT with a 306. I know he has port and polished (stock) heads and a decent cam. Full boltons including longtubes, no cats and dumped exhaust. He also has a beefed up T5 and an aftermarket clutch set up. He has some 4.10 gears he's waiting to install as well. He said he'll be upset if it doesn't get over 400rwhp.

I'm waiting to install my headers before the race which would put me at 320 rwhp?

I think he'll pull a little bit on me, but I'll just have to bite the bullet and get it on tape.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

If he is making 400+rwhp with 4.10s with decent tires your gonna get smoked, but it all depends on what kinda power her puts out cause i have no idea waht a 306 with port polished heads and a cam makes. I dont think he is gonna top 400rwhp though.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

N/A 306s with stock (even ported) heads don't make anywhere near 400 RWHP. Street driven N/A 306s with stock (even ported) heads will be lucky to be near 300 RWHP.

Been there, done that. Your friend is going to be VERY upset.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Thats what i was thinking, wit hte cam and ported heads i would say hes making somewhere close to you but with the rear gears, your gonna have a hard time, what tires is he useing? Ls1 with a cam and port polished heads sometimes just break 400rwhp so i didnt think that motor could.

10's N/A

He's going to be majorly upset if he thinks a naturally aspirated 306 with stock E7TE's is going to make 400rwhp. Please...give me a break.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Tell him to do a 125 shot then he will be 400+rwhp lol.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    Tell him to do a 125 shot then he will be 400+rwhp lol.
    He says he will be putting in a 200 shot, but only for track use because he says it wont work well with 93 octane. He said the guy that had the motor before him was running the same shot. I'm pretty sure he has some decent street tires, but thats about it.

He took me for a ride in it before it was tuned and it didn't seem faster than my car in the least bit. My headers are going on this saturday, then I'll have to race him.

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

yeah his car should be pretty slow, make sure you get a video of that dyno pull, i wanna see the look on his face! Ported and polished stock heads? that guy just payed for a polished turd, theres absolutely no excuse for that with the aftermarket support the 5.0 has.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

he's very optimistic... hoping for 400whp... you'll probably be able to pull on him...the gears will help him alot though... he might just spin the meats too much on launch...

VIDEO TAPE IT!!!!!...all of it...

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by TrickStang37 View Post
    yeah his car should be pretty slow, make sure you get a video of that dyno pull, i wanna see the look on his face! Ported and polished stock heads? that guy just payed for a polished turd, theres absolutely no excuse for that with the aftermarket support the 5.0 has.
    I believe he just paid for the stock heads to be P&P, not actually purchase another set of heads.

He wants to get nitrous but if i were him i'd get some sick heads and maybe a kenne bell? idk, every fast mustang needs to have a blower these days.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    bell? idk, every fast mustang needs to have a blower these days.
    There are some that might disagree with you.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Speaking of that, I think it's crazy you don't see more fully-built n/a 4-valves. I had no clue so many things were offered for those motors until a couple years ago I looked at a SHM Catalog. I mean stroker short blocks from both SHM and DSS, several different cam grinds, three different stages of heads, street AND race version intake manifolds, I mean I was shocked. I would like to see what a fully built street car could do with a stroker.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Mach 1's 4 sure...

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Speaking of that, I think it's crazy you don't see more fully-built n/a 4-valves.
    One word: Blowers. It is simply too easy and relatively cheap to stick a blower on the thing and make big power.

Beyond that, there are some built N/A 4Vs, but they are indeed not very common. The problem really comes down to cubes. Yes, you can make decent power N/A with only 280-ish cid, but to do it, you have to really spin the motor high. The motor will take it, the heads will support it, but there aren't too many streetable, manual transmissions that can be aggressively shifted at 7700+ rpm. And Ford A4s suck.

Intake manifolds are a big problem too. The stock N/A 4V intake manifold can be ported, but it won't help much, and unless it is cut and severely shortened, it won't make good power above 7000 rpm. There are a few short-runner intakes, which work great from 6000-8500 rpm, but for a street car? There is the FR500 intake, which has butterfly valves to go from long to short runner - but they are VERY hard to come by, and go for ~$3500 (yes, $3500 for an intake).

Strokers and big bores...they exist, but they aren't cheap, and to take advantage of them, you need a good set of heads (03/04 heads), some sort of intake (see problem above), a good set of (4) cams, and someone that knows there way around a high-revving 4V motor. As I said above, its way easier and cheaper to just stick a Vortech on the car and call it a day.

All of that said....my motor is sitting in the back of my pickup right now waiting to be taken to my engine builder. The 03 heads I have are going to be ported, 2000 Cobra R cams are going into it, the shortblock is going to be freshened (it already has a really nice set of pistons and an aggressive ring package), and we're going to do............something.......with the intake. Haven't figured out what yet. Looking for ~390 RWHP at ~7300-7500 rpm. Given that I went consistent 11.4s @ 3340 lbs on DRs with ~355 RWHP, I'm confident it will go high 10's with the above power at ~3300 lbs on slicks.

And still go back and forth to work, getting 24+ mpg.

Bob

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

One word: Blowers. It is simply too easy and relatively cheap to stick a blower on the thing and make big power.

Beyond that, there are some built N/A 4Vs, but they are indeed not very common. The problem really comes down to cubes. Yes, you can make decent power N/A with only 280-ish cid, but to do it, you have to really spin the motor high. The motor will take it, the heads will support it, but there aren't too many streetable, manual transmissions that can be aggressively shifted at 7700+ rpm. And Ford A4s suck.

Intake manifolds are a big problem too. The stock N/A 4V intake manifold can be ported, but it won't help much, and unless it is cut and severely shortened, it won't make good power above 7000 rpm. There are a few short-runner intakes, which work great from 6000-8500 rpm, but for a street car? There is the FR500 intake, which has butterfly valves to go from long to short runner - but they are VERY hard to come by, and go for ~$3500 (yes, $3500 for an intake).

Strokers and big bores...they exist, but they aren't cheap, and to take advantage of them, you need a good set of heads (03/04 heads), some sort of intake (see problem above), a good set of (4) cams, and someone that knows there way around a high-revving 4V motor. As I said above, its way easier and cheaper to just stick a Vortech on the car and call it a day.

All of that said....my motor is sitting in the back of my pickup right now waiting to be taken to my engine builder. The 03 heads I have are going to be ported, 2000 Cobra R cams are going into it, the shortblock is going to be freshened (it already has a really nice set of pistons and an aggressive ring package), and we're going to do............something.......with the intake. Haven't figured out what yet. Looking for ~390 RWHP at ~7300-7500 rpm. Given that I went consistent 11.4s @ 3340 lbs on DRs with ~355 RWHP, I'm confident it will go high 10's with the above power at ~3300 lbs on slicks.

Bob
    well put

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Bob
    How did you run mid 11's with around 400 hp? A 2004 zo6 has 405 hp and less weight. I think they get mid to high 12's.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

He makes a little more than the z06rwhp and he has suspension, rear end with drag tires means he can launch at a much higher rpm and grip and go plus he will have higher rear end gears.
    Last edited by 2000T/A Guru; 08-01-2007 at 11:31 AM.

10's N/A

Bob
    I gotcha. All that rpm, that's crazy. Now I know why guys would rather go blower. If I was to build one, I'd go power adder as well.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

He isnt supercharged

silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

I was told that 306"s love nitrous but with the mods he has I doubt he will beat you.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information