Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Exclamation Security light always on!

A few days ago, I went out to the dinner and everything was fine. Driving home, I noticed the SECURITY light was still lit. Thinking maybe it's an indication the car alarm went off or something, I checked my car, no marks. Set the alarm off too just to reset it. Nothing worked. The security light is still on. Any ideas?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

no one?

Don't really know what's going on - just a couple things I'd try. First make sure the key resistor is clean, then try the spare key. Then try disconnecting the alarm sensor above the spare tire. If the light is still on I'd disconnect the battery for a while. I'm just guessing, but sounds like the car thinks you tried to start it with the wrong key. When my alarm has gone off the dash light flashes different, but the security light hasn't come on. Good luck with it and let us know what you find.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

well assuming that there is a SECURITY light...its gotta be there for some reason...im going to look into what it means when the light is on (if it is not a malfunction)...unfortunately the handbook says nothing about it. Thanks for your post though i will definitely try those things out.

sonnyred
    If you disconnect the battery make sure you remember your radio access code.You will have to enter it.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am

The security light is in regards to the passkey system GM uses so the car knows the key is ok to use in the car.I havn't had it happen in my TA, but the Grand Prix did. Even though the security light lit up the car continued to work for about a month. Then one morning the car would start and then shut off 3 seconds later. I had to reprogram the key as the master for the car.If I remember correctly (and this may be different between the GP and the F-Bod) but this is how I reset the master key on the GP.You put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position (do not start the car). Wait for the security light to stop flashing (Takes about 10 minutes)Once it stops flashing return the key to the off position and then back to the on pisition (Again do not start the car.)Wait for the light to stop flahing again (10 minutes)Turn the key to the off position and back to the on...Wait for the light to go off again.Back to Off and this time start the car. The security light should remain off now.If that don't work you may need to search out the proper procedures for setting the keys on these cars.Hope this helps.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

The security light is still on...I tried my spare key which was rarely used and didn't remove the light....guess I gotta go check if it's the motion sensor, then unplug the battery (and retrieve my security code)...if that doesn't work I guess I gotta go look for a mechanic.

TheAntiRice
    ok i can tell ou whats wrong you bcm is bad it isnt working witch means someoen can break into your car and with ascrew driver start your car and pull off i have the same issue see i tested mine by removing mine and putting it in anpther car
    and started it with there key the bcm is only supposed to work with its original key

nufkts
    Nice punctuation, and grammer. :shots

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Well lets hope he's wrong (even though he sounds right). I hate it when problems resort to spending money

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

If this is the case that the BCM is bad...how can i check it and how much is it to replace and be programmed to my keys? i think i should just save up for a VIPER alarm cuz i'm moving to california and i was told around 1 of every 147 cars are stolen out there.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Final reply from me, I FINALLY got my camaro into a shop cuz the tranny blew.

Anyways, the mechanic diagnosed it and said the ignition cylinder key was not reading my resistor, so its now replaced and the light is....OFF!!!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Thanks for remembering to update that--that's a long wait!! So the cylinder contacts for the Passkey were bad and not making contact?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

yup...i wouldve been able to figure out it was a problem with the resistor had i went out and got a key w/o a resistor, but i probably wouldnt take apart my ignition myself. its better off the mechanic fixed it, although he charged like $400 for the diagnosis and replacement, when the part is $30-$40 on Ebay

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

ah crap...mines on now too.....bummer

Artic White
    2001 Z-28

Yeah I just replaced my ignition cylinder thing to. It's expensive as hell if you get the dealer to do it. I had a warranty thank god!!! One of the mechanics told me they go often and you can sometimes just move the tilt wheel if your security light is on and you can't start the car. One of the wires always gets snagged. It cost like $300ish

yellow
    1954 GMC pickup w/LH6 DOD

Just be glad you don't have the new Passkey 3+ system that uses a Hall Effect sensor instead of just a resistor. Unless 3 trillion codes is something you'd like to spend your weekend on!

Black
    1996 Firebird V6

Sorry to post so late on this topic, but I have the same problem with my 96 Firebird V6/Auto. The Secuirty light stays on flashing and the car won't crank, if I jump it over at the starter it cranks but only runs for 5 seconds.

My question is will the ACDelco Ignition Switches (D1456C) from Adavnce Auto work? They have the two wire hook up. I'm hopeing to do this without going threw my dealer (Tried to say $600), I shouldn't have to get anything reprogrammed should I?

You could measure the resistor on the key. Then buy a resistor from radio shack find the 2 white wires in the orange sleeve under the steering column. Then cut the wires in half solder the resistor inbetween the two wires going toward the bcm. Now the car will always see the correct resistance. This will only work if the key switch is the problem, you also loose the security of the passkey but what good has it been any way you were still able to start the car.

Black
    1996 Firebird V6

I'm not that electronically challenged. I'd like to replace just the cylinder but I'm it won't work. There's quite a few wrties up about the resitor trick but I'd like to see how hard a cylinder is to put in and if a ACDelco replacememnt from advance will work

Thanks for the input though I may just have to give the resitor a try

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information