Pewter
    2000 Corvettte

Audible spark knock

I own a 2000 corvette 6 speed with 20,000 miles. I use only 93 octane fuel from Sunoco. I had a problem last year with an audible spark knock as GM classified it. I took it into the dealer and they performed the remedy from a bulletin GM had published. The problem came back again this year. It happens in 2nd gear through 6th gear on acceleration. I have contacted GM again and they want me to bring my car back to a dealer and have it diagnosed. They said they would work with me to remedy the problem.
    My question is has anyone experienced this and found a different remedy. Forget about any additives, they don't work.

Thanks

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by faspgh View Post
    I own a 2000 corvette 6 speed with 20,000 miles. I use only 93 octane fuel from Sunoco. I had a problem last year with an audible spark knock as GM classified it. I took it into the dealer and they performed the remedy from a bulletin GM had published. The problem came back again this year. It happens in 2nd gear through 6th gear on acceleration. I have contacted GM again and they want me to bring my car back to a dealer and have it diagnosed. They said they would work with me to remedy the problem.
    My question is has anyone experienced this and found a different remedy. Forget about any additives, they don't work.

Thanks
    My guess is they will take some timing out, till the knock retard is 0.00, it must be bad if you can hear it, usually the computer takes car of it by taking timing out.....hmmmm, Good Luck
    '04 gto M6 slp ceramic coated headers,B&m sport shifter,harrop cover,3.5"aluminum BMR driveshaft, BMR axle stubs, BMR Half shafts, BMR SFC's, loudmouth2 exaust,90mm FAST T/B,Magancharger(high helix upgrade)......other misc. suspension,Cross drilled, slotted rotors. Meth Kit, spraying @ 3psi and up

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

did you ever figure this out? Im having the same issue.

Pewter
    2000 Corvettte

audible spark knock

I have not figured out the problem. I took my car to the Chevy dealer last fall and they could not find anything out and the car did not make the pinging noise when I went for a drive with the mechanic.

I was talking with my brother the other day and he mentioned to try a "cooler" spark plug within the range that the spec calls for. I am going to change the plugs and find out. If that doesn't work, the next step is to find a reputable speed shop and see if they can identify the problem.

If you find out something different, I would appreciat a heads up.

Thanks and good luck

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

I just had my car tuned yesterday and the ping is gone but he had to retard the hell out of it so it borders on sluggish when in mid throttle acc. So that didnt fix the problem just masks it. Im putting in colder plugs and just put a 160 stat in it so those will help. I keep thinking vaccume problem though.

Thread Information