98 SS, 4th Gear slippage

Starting today I was doing some highway driving for about 20-30 miles around 70mph and 4th gear seemed like it was slipping or jumping back in to 3rd when I barely accelerated. It felt like it was a slipping clutch on a manual transmission. It went like that for about 5 miles and then returned to normal. Then after about 20 min, it did it again. I was going at about 65, turned on the cruise control and used the cruise lever to accelerate and then my rpms went to about 5.5k and the car didn't speed up. I dropped it back to 3rd gear and it drove fine then. Put it back in OD and it worked fine as long as I accelerated slowly. Then out of no where when I was just cruising at 70mph, I heard a slight thump below me and then the tranny returned to normal again and drove fine until I finally got home and parked. I checked the levels and they were fine, fluid was clean, no burnt smell. Just trying to figure out what would be the problem. I really don't drive all that hard and the fluid has been replaced once around 50k, The car has 106k on it right now.

codes

are you getting any codes sounds like the effect you get from code 1870 , and actually rather than 4th slipping what your feeling may be the converter clutch slipping and when the ecm senses this it will downshift to third ,
    megamax

update

I was driving again last night and the problem still hasn't come back, I did notice that if I'm in 4th, and I hit the gas it will stay in 4th unless I press the gas farther and it goes to 3rd, This is normal. What was happening was that area of acceleration before it jumps down to 3rd, Instead of just going the car acted like it was in neutral or the gear was barely engaged and slipping. When I pushed hard to make it go to 3rd, it worked fine.

Black
    99 SS

i am having the same problem over and over, but it is getting taken care of, a problem might be the solneoid(sp) is not holding pressure and then it slips out of gear, like it is in neutral then kicks back into gear when it builds the pressure back up, mine was doing the exact same thing, and it burnt the clutch pack up because of what it was doing, go get it looked at quick man, cause it could destroy your whole transmission

update

I got a mechanic doing some research in to what might be the problem. After driving it more It has gotten more consistant with what it is doing so I can give a better explaination.

1. After driving in OD for a certain amount of time it just starts slipping out of gear into a neutral state, barely holding on to the gear to make the car go.
    2. Period of time before it starts slipping is shorter the hotter it is outside
    3. Doesn't do it at all on city streets because it never stays in OD too long before having to go to a lower gear for stoplights, etc.
    4. When it does start to slip on the highway, Putting the transmission in neutral, for about 5 seconds and then back in to OD will return the transmission to normal for a while.

It was suggested to me to just replace the fluid and filter first since it hasn't been done for about 50k miles because the fluid could be breaking down because of the heat??

Black
    99 SS

mine has been fixed, ill get all the information about it up tomorrow im hoping. it has something to do with the drum or something, and not disengaging and blocking off the fluid. ill get more on it tomorrow, and this is an intermittent problem i have been having

cool

That will be great if you can do that, we were just trying to figure out what will need to be looked at before we drop the pan and replace filter and fluid.

Black
    99 SS

im sure you will have to replace the Z pack in it no matter what since it has prolly been fried because the fluid is not holding pressure. i will let you know all the details as soon as the car gets back in my possession

Any resolution on this? My 2001 WS6 is doing the EXACT same thing as stevecn70's car. I have had the tranny 'rebuilt' 3 times and finally the entire unit was replaced by a transmission shop here in San Antonio.

If you guys have any idea what I need to do to fix it, let me know. Much appreciated!

Chad

Well last night the tranny died. Lost 4th gear completely and about 30 miles later 3rd went as well. Took the car to the dealer and see what they say.

none

I still haven't gotten mine fixed, still seeing if anyone knows what the problem is. It is getting worse now. it is still doing the exact same time, Just that the amount of time it takes before it does it is getting shorter and shorter. hitting the gase to force it to downshift or just doing it manually fixes the problem until you drive a little longer, then it comes back

Black
    99 SS

mine is still not fixed these trans are shitty

oh well

Couldn't wait much longer or risk repairing the wrong thing so I took it in to the dealership on Monday. They ran the codes and said it was either the valve body or clutch bands. Either of which would have cost a bit to rebuild so they are just replacing the tranny for about $2500 and it comes with a Chevy 3 year warranty. I'll report back if the problem is gone afterward.

Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

I don't know how much horse power you guys are putting down, but when I blew my first tranny I was advised to get a 'HD Built trans' , because another 'stock' trans wouldn't last. So I did and this one is still working, but it wont be long before the weather cools down and I'm back at the strip again.
    Michael
    In GA waving from '02 C5 LS1, Z51, D1SC, 60lb injectors,RPM level 5-4L60E, 3:42, Yank 3600, QA1-12 ways, MTI long headers, high flow cats, Borlas, Wilwood, 603rwhp, 542rwtq.(DynoJet 248-C) 10.89@127.57 on street tires, Race Weight 3,640 lbs

I'm just running stock. Got my car back, it is fixed. Still don't know what the exact problem was other than it was losing hydrolic pressure causing it to slip out of gear. I figured just replacing it would be the cheapest since I'm sure the clutches are worn more than they would be, not to mention, they will go out eventually anyway just from age and I'd have to fix it again.

Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

Glad you got it fixed and you're back on the road again. If you're 'stock' it should last you awhile. Hope it didn't cost too much.

Thread Information