Red
    2000 WS6

Opinions of a 98 Trans Am Purchase.

The owner showed a clear carfax, but! There were a number of problems with it that I am semi-concerned about.

1. Asked if it had been in a wreck or any body damage. She answered no, but the front bumper has a few spider web cracks, there is a place where it looks like there was a crack that was repaired with some sort of resin. The bumper was a more dull shade of black than the rest of the car. The hood sticks a little, looked a little out of alignment. the front tip is bent a little.

2. The dash piece against the windshield is cracked into a bunch of pieces. She said "it happens in these cars" LoL I checked the passenger airbag cover and it wasn't flush with the rest of the dash in one corner. I am thinking it might have been deployed.

3. There is a slight vibration at idle. The vibration is more violent when put in reverse and the wheel is cranked. Suggestions? Maybe a bad spark plug/wire or perhaps harmonic balancer? The vibration came more from the engine.

4. Kind of feels like the front has a wobble, but it doesn't pull so I don't believe it is necessarily the alignment. Maybe a bent rim? Suggestions?

5. Wire hooking to the alternator was cut and spliced. No heat shrink or solder applied. Amps seemed good.

6. After a full drive, the temp gauge showed the car just over 170 degrees. I'm thinking maybe the thermostat is stuck open? Also the radiator cap had a little fluid coming from the cap (no the reservoir) Wonder if that could be a problem?

7. I looked at the exhaust manifolds, the passenger side is missing its factory heat shields and also looks larger in size than the other manifold which looks like a factory header with the heat shields still existing. It has a manual cut out after the y-pipe with stock exhaust. When I drove it I noticed a small exhaust leak.

8. Driver side seat controls don't work.

Listed are some problems that prove the car has been in a fender bender, but does it sound like a serious one? It's a 1998 Trans Am LS1 with 80k on the motor and they are asking 7500 for it. Rest of the body is in good condition. You think it's worth it? It's got a 2 series rear end... Kind of sucks, it seems quite a bit slower than my 99 t/a with 3:23's in it Engine does sound strong and it drives good. Would seriously appreciate any concerns or suggestions before I purchase this vehicle. It's a good price for an ls1 black t/a. Has aftermarket rims and is lowered. Always a plus. Let me know I do have a 99 T/A that is fulling working, but the passenger side is totalled @ the A-Pillar. So I can interchange most parts. Any input at all would be appreciated. Thanks again!

~Jeff

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Personally, i wouldn't even mess with it. I bought my mustang with some minor problems here and there, including problems with body parts not matching up, and it turned out that it had been in an accident not recorded by carfax. This was after i dumped 3 grand into fixing stuff that broke down unnaturally while under normal driving conditions. Even if most of the stuff is interchangable, you still might have frame damage that isn't surfacing yet, which will cause huge complications down the road. Learning from experience, i would say spend the extra 3 grand and get something thats in a little better shape.

give 5600 or get a better deal some where else

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Carfax uses police reports to determine whether a vehicle was ever in an accident. No police report filed, no Carfax data recorded. Probably was in a wreck that never got reported.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

i wouldnt get something that beat up, id go for a couple extra grand and get something that was better taken care of

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

walk away from it, and find yourself a ride you will be pleased with where things dont appear sketchy to you...

it's very key to pay close attention to detail with these cars, so if it doesn't feel/look right, don't go for it...

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Gotta go with the gut. First impression is usually right.

Blog Entries

Black
    1999 Trans am

Run away, this car has been put thru the ringer. Keep looking, ther are a lot of good cars out there for decent prices. I bought a 99 T/A with 90,000 on the od, now have 142,000 and I run it hard. Have had no problems Yes the dash was cracked, replaced for 100 bucks. Paid $5,000 for the car and spent about another 2k on suspention upgrades. Deals are out there, keep looking.

I wouldn't get it if I were you keep looking for a nicer/better deal.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

You know better than us if it "looked" wrecked. It definitely sounds like it from your descriptions. It also sounds like it was modded at one time and put back to stock ( manifolds not matching, cooler stat). The "wobble" could be warped rotors but that's a guess. Personally, I would pass on it and keep looking. Sounds like you're taking a chance of inheriting someone elses problems.

Thread Information