Black
    2000 Forumla

Question P1415 SES code HELP!

I got the P1416 code on my car a few months back and I was told to change the passenger side air check valve. I changed it and the SES went away. Now a few months later, the SES came back on. I scanned it and I then got P1415. I figured that might have been the driver side check valve so I changed that one too but the light is still on.

I also checked both air tubes while the car was running and I can feel the air flow fine. I checked all connection endings for leaks but couldn’t find anything.

After everything, I tried resetting the PCM and I'm still getting the SES. I brought it back to AutoZone to make sure it’s still the same code and not something else and it still comes up with P1415. The OBD reader comes up with "Manufacture Control. Auxiliary Emission Control"

Researching online, I find P1415 is the AIR System Bank 1

Anything else that I can check?

My main concern is that I have to get smog check soon. I dont know if having this code is going to make me fail. Does this code affect anything like performance or engine life? If I leave this code long term, is it going to decrease the life of the car?

Thanks guys!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Make sure when you replaced the check valves that you didn't bend, break, or kink any of the tubes. Yes a ses light will make you fail smog. You can actually remove the whole AIR system and have the codes tuned out...but depending on what state you live in that could cause you to fail the visual smog inspection. The AIR system is a emissions thing....it injects air into the exhaust manifolds on cold start-ups to lower emissions so no it's not going to decrease the life of the motor.

Replacing the drivers side air check valve should've fixed the P1415 code. Did you take the metal air tube loose from the manifold maybe? Look for an air leak there if you did. Also check the hose connections where it snakes around the rear of the intake. Did AZ clear the code, then it came back? When you reset the PCM did you do the key on, pull & replaces the fuses method? If so you need to do some driving to make sure all the readiness tests are completed if your state reads the PCM for inspection, or do a couple GM drive cycles www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

Just looked it up in my Helms - for P1415 SES comes on 2nd consecutive cycle test runs and fails - turns itself off after 3 consecutive cycles test runs and doesn't fail - stored as a "history" code for 40 cycles.

Black
    2000 Forumla

Yeah, the code was cleared at AZ and it has not come back since... and I've started up the car well over 10 times since it was cleared. Does that mean I'm good to go since the code has not come back? I alread checked the tube ending for leaks and everything. I was really careful not to kink anything while changing it. I do have to bring it into smog soon some time early next week, we'll see what happens.

Thanks guy!

Black
    2000 Forumla

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
    Replacing the drivers side air check valve should've fixed the P1415 code. Did you take the metal air tube loose from the manifold maybe? Look for an air leak there if you did. Also check the hose connections where it snakes around the rear of the intake. Did AZ clear the code, then it came back? When you reset the PCM did you do the key on, pull & replaces the fuses method? If so you need to do some driving to make sure all the readiness tests are completed if your state reads the PCM for inspection, or do a couple GM drive cycles www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html
    Yeah, I made the mistake last smog check. I reset the PCM and pretty much went to do a smog check shortly after and failed. The dude told me I had to drive around for about 50 miles before I came back. So this time, I'm just going to drive around for the week and bring it back next week on my next day off...

<b>"iznuthn"2 a BOSS!</B> IZNUTHN's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ONYX BLACK
    02 Z28

what exactly is the name of that check valve?? what would the name of that part be and what category should i mention to the person thats helping me?

Black
    2000 Forumla

Quote Originally Posted by IZNUTHN
    what exactly is the name of that check valve?? what would the name of that part be and what category should i mention to the person thats helping me?
    Go to www.gmpartsdirect.com

And search part # 12565503

Thats what you need. Its the same part for both passenger and driver side. if you change it, you might as well do both. The part is like 16 bucks and shipping is 10 bucks whether you get one or 2. I made the mistake of only changing 1 and then a few months later, the other side went out so I had to order another one

I believe http://www.fredbeans.com/ also sells it. Pretty much the same price after shipping.

Blog Entries

ONYX BLACK
    02 Z28

thanks, so is it pretty easy to rr??

Easy to change them, and that PN is correct and same for both sides. You can also get them locally. The GM description on my parts CD is "VALVE, SECD AIR INJN CHK" (Secondary air injection check valve).

Black
    2000 Forumla

rr? replace? sorry, I dont know the lingo.. hehe.. but yeah, its like right there in plain site. Pop the hood open. To the left and ride side of the manifold in clear site will be that valve. You need like 2 wrenches or whatever. One to grab the metal tube and the other to grab the valve and just twist off. You have you take off that rubber hose. Then just put the new valve back on. It should only take 10-15 minutes.

Black
    2000 Forumla

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
    Easy to change them, and that PN is correct and same for both sides. You can also get them locally. The GM description on my parts CD is "VALVE, SECD AIR INJN CHK" (Secondary air injection injection check valve).
    yeah, I chcked the store and kragen wants retail. 35 bucks each. If you need them right away, just go to the store. But if you can wait a week, I would say order online. =)

Yikes $35 a piece, guess the prices have gone up. Couple years ago I paid $15.99 or something at NAPA.

Blog Entries

ONYX BLACK
    02 Z28

Damn, its around $50 at the dealers and $30 at a kragen w/special ordering.

Black
    2000 Forumla

yeah man.. gmpartdirect or fredbeans. you can get two for 45 bucks shipped to your door step

white
    98 z28

Have you looked for misfires with a scan tool i had the same problem and had a few misfires on one bank. the pcm looks for 02 sensor voltage to drop when the air pump is activated upon startup if you have cylinders misfiring the voltage will not drop. i would try this

Thread Information