silver
    2000 Audi S4

Flowtech vs. Pacesetter

My next mod to my car will be lt's and off road y-pipe. I was wondering if anyone had some input as to which brand header to go with. My budget will allow pacesetter or flowtech lt's. The material on the pacesetter is slightly thicker than on the flowtechs but I wanted to see if anybody has experience as far as fitment and over all quality issues. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

pacesetters are the better value. mine had great welds and thick flanges.
    they also went in minus any problems
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

see you in my rear view

Pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans AM

A good friend of mine has a set of Flowtechs and it took him about 9 hours to install them. Take for granted he didn't have a nice garage, a car lift, or for that matter any experience putting headers on a car at all. They came with pretty crappy gaskets so he had to buy some heavy duty gaskets at a parts store and the 02 extensions didn't come the same day as the headers so he wired his own extensions in. ( big mistake). after getting the correct extensions and finally getting the headers installed his car sounds like a beast with SLP loudmouth and has great flow. He spent less than $400 for everything.
    [B]2K1 WS.6 m6: SLP Lid, MAF, smooth bellows, Y-Pipe, Loudmouth, 160 Stat, TB bypass, TR Velocity Stack, SLP Short Throw, K&N, Taylor 10mm wires w/ iridium NGK plugs, and 255lph F/P, Comp Cam, Chromemoly Rods, Comp Valve Springs

silver
    2000 Audi S4

well I was looking at the flowtechs thru thunder racing and the black painted ones are $269.99 and they include gaskets, bolts, and o2 extensions. The pacesetters were from texas speed and they are $279.99 but as far as I understand they only come with gaskets and bolts. are the flowtechs a better deal or just cheaper?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm going off of memory here and it's been a few years since I got mine but I'm thinking the pacesetters fit better than the flowtechs. The pacesetters came with O2 extensions but it's basically just wires for you to lenthen your stock wires. I STRONGLY suggest getting some premade extensions. I actually have the ones they sent me in the garage I think. You or anyone else can have them. I would also think about coated headers too.
    The stock gaskets are better than the gaskets you'll get with any set of headers. I went and bought new gaskets from a dealer although mine still looked fine.
    On the ground without a lift and your first time doing them plan on spending the whole day on them. There's multiple write ups on the web which are very helpful.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Whatever you do...DO NOT BUY FLOWTECHS! The pacesetters are thicker, have better welds and have thicker flanges. They are a WAY better header. Only buy the flowtechs if you like exhaust leaks. The flowtechs are known to leak, and don't usually fit very well. I know of a few shops that won't even install them, because they are such a poor quality header and leak. The It depends on the car, but most of the time the pacesetters will drop right in. Mine slipped in with no modification. I would definately get the ceramic coating as well. Without it, the headers will rust real quick and you will put out more heat to the alternator and starter.

I bought Flowtech longtubes for my car and it took a friend and me about 4 hours to install them. I paid $225 $100 for the y-pipe and they came with gaskets, bolts, and o2 extensions. Everything went on good, I even put on the gaskets that they came with and I have no leaks. I recommend getting them but get the ceramic coated ones.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by shady1504
    I bought Flowtech longtubes for my car and it took a friend and me about 4 hours to install them. I paid $225 $100 for the y-pipe and they came with gaskets, bolts, and o2 extensions. Everything went on good, I even put on the gaskets that they came with and I have no leaks. I recommend getting them but get the ceramic coated ones.
    How long have you had the flowtechs on for? Using the paper gaskets they came with, you are guaranteed a leak! It might take 6 months or so, but they will blow out. Don't be upset when the super thin flange warps and leaks also.

see you in my rear view

Pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans AM

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by SLOW346
    How long have you had the flowtechs on for? Using the paper gaskets they came with, you are guaranteed a leak! It might take 6 months or so, but they will blow out. Don't be upset when the super thin flange warps and leaks also.
    I have to agree. When my friend put the flowtechs on his car, the gaskets were destroyed in about a month and they were definantly leaking. I think it would benefit you to go ahead and plan for the leak and get some thicker gaskets.

Snake Eater
    flowtechs are junk. you'll be more than happy with those pacesetters.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

pacesetters x2

Quote Originally Posted by SLOW346
    I've had them on over a year.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Not to mention flowtechs solution to where there header used to hit the K member was denting it in that tube. (at least they used to, seen many pics)

black
    2000 SS camaro

Pacesetter Lt's

many sponsors stopped carring flowtechs due to they're poor clearance

Thread Information