green
    94 z28

Second gear sticking?

Okay guys, so I have a 94 z28. This problem started as soon as I got the car(I was stupid enough not to test drive it before I got it because I was looking for a z28 for several months already) but I was hoping it had to do with the clutch or something.

Anyways, I can take off in first and a lot of times my "skip shift" light will come on while going into second and it won't let me go into second. I have to slow down or wiggle the crap out of the stick to make it go into second. It won't stick unless the "skip shift" light comes on. I hate this, and want to know what is wrong with it. It only does it going into second gear, and isn't a 100% thing, but it does happel over half the time it seems.

I have a few ideas, but it seems like every single time I post them people just spam and say "yea that's it" or "yea I think that's it" and I never get help, so I'll leave my ideas out.

Black Hardtop
    01 NHRA Formula

I believe: If you do not have skip-shift mod, then this is normal. If the skip shift light is on then 2nd and 3rd are locked out. Add the mod the ignore the light. Or give it more gas, when you take off.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Scanlamp View Post
    If you do not have skip-shift mod, then this is normal. If the skip shift light is on then 2nd and 3rd are locked out. Add the mod the ignore the light. Or give it more gas, when you take off.

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Thumbs up

Had the same problem with my 2000 SS. I put in the skip-shift mod and it changed my life! Lol! I'm pretty sure that's your problem. I pray it's that and nothing more serious...

green
    94 z28

Where is a good website to get one of these for my 94 z28?

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

I got mine from WS6 store. I think it was around 18 bucks. There is another mod with a electric iode that you could do for way cheaper. I actually had that one on my car and it worked great never had any problems, just wanted to go for the better looking one. Changing it only takes about 5 minutes once you have the car in the air.

green
    94 z28

Okay, so now I'll go out and say it. I thought it was my synchromesh or that I needed a skip shift eliminator. I was going to buy a skip shift kit but wanted to make sure it was that before I spent the money...I was going to be pissed if it was the synchromesh because that would cost around 1k to fix.

Resident F-body helper
    The skip shift activates when you're less than 15-20mph and only at a certain percent throttle. What many have done is just give it more throttle out of 1st to bypass the skip shift. But yes...have the mod is nice. I did mine with a simple resistor (years ago). All our current project F-bodies do not have to deal with skip shift (nice nice)

Thread Information