Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats my rwhp?

black
    2001 Trans am ws6

whats my rwhp?

i plan on going to get my car dynoed i was just wondering what i can expect?i have a 10 over bore with forged dimond pistons proformance hot cam dynatech headers and 3inch flow master cat back system.would apreciate the feed back thanks.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

375 RWHP.
    Is it tuned??
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

black
    2001 Trans am ws6

ya it was tuned by a place called- TPIS- in chanhassen Minneasota they are very good.
    Last edited by D-millar; 06-21-2006 at 05:19 AM.

Blue
    04 Mach 1

then why dont you know the hp?

'03 Mach 1

Grey
    2003 Mach 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1Mustang View Post
    then why dont you know the hp?
    +1

Black
    99 SS

because most places do not tune on a dyno

'03 Mach 1

Grey
    2003 Mach 1

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    because most places do not tune on a dyno
    Really?

EVERY place I've ever taken any of my cars tuned on the dyno...

Blue
    04 Mach 1

same here

Black
    99 SS

nope around here by me at least you got to pay a whole hell of a lot more for a dyno tune. mine was tuned on the street

Silver
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    nope around here by me at least you got to pay a whole hell of a lot more for a dyno tune. mine was tuned on the street
    Agreed, while dyno tuning is obviously beneficial, here in SC, up until about a week ago, the only option was a street tune. My car was dyno tuned in NC about 3 hours away. Even with the local place now, it's a guy using another guy's dyno, so of what I think is a $400 charge, I'm paying the guy to pay someone else. I enjoy a good tune, and it's typically good hp/$ but $400 for an hour or two of no-sweat work? Apparently I need to get in the dyno tuning business
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

dyno tuning is the way to go

Dyno tuning is great if all you ever do is leave your car in 1:1 gear and expect to get 0mpg.
    Dyno tuning (none motored) is a tool for tuning but what is most important is how the vehicle performs in the REAL world. Some might like to brag about their rwhp numbers, others their gas milage, and some stick to the good old 1/4 mile. For me, it's a blend of the last 2. Street tuning gets you the mpg and mannors while 1/4 mile tuning gets you the ET. The dyno can be for all you bench racers. Keep in mind you do NOT need a dyno for a wideband o2 reading. Running a wideband at the track and watching each gear change your AFR can be a real eye opener towards why dyno tuning isn't the end all be all tune.
    Dyno tuning will get you -90 to 90% of perfect and the rest is on the street and track.
    D-millar, the cam and headers probably got you to 360+rwhp. The bore, pistons, and cat-back are feather weights. Tuning might get you 380+, no way to be sure but who cares? Just take it to the track and get a feel for it. It's a lot cheaper and TONS more fun. Then, post your vehicle weight, the conditions, and your mph. Compare with those that have both track time and dyno numbers. See, you saved some bones and had fun. Later

black
    2001 Trans am ws6

thanks for the advice guys! i just got back for racing and my car ran a 13.0 at 105mph the conditions where hot! and i had some horiable short times but still had a blast.

Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JPrevost View Post
    Dyno tuning is great if all you ever do is leave your car in 1:1 gear and expect to get 0mpg.
    Dyno tuning (none motored) is a tool for tuning but what is most important is how the vehicle performs in the REAL world. Some might like to brag about their rwhp numbers, others their gas milage, and some stick to the good old 1/4 mile. For me, it's a blend of the last 2. Street tuning gets you the mpg and mannors while 1/4 mile tuning gets you the ET. The dyno can be for all you bench racers. Keep in mind you do NOT need a dyno for a wideband o2 reading. Running a wideband at the track and watching each gear change your AFR can be a real eye opener towards why dyno tuning isn't the end all be all tune.
    Dyno tuning will get you -90 to 90% of perfect and the rest is on the street and track.
    D-millar, the cam and headers probably got you to 360+rwhp. The bore, pistons, and cat-back are feather weights. Tuning might get you 380+, no way to be sure but who cares? Just take it to the track and get a feel for it. It's a lot cheaper and TONS more fun. Then, post your vehicle weight, the conditions, and your mph. Compare with those that have both track time and dyno numbers. See, you saved some bones and had fun. Later

Your concept about tuning for a mix of gas mileage and 1/4 mile performance is very interesting. The next time you are at a National meet remember to tell John Force, Greg Anderson and all the other top competitors that they are wasting their time tuning on dynos. I am sure thay will listen to you and appreciate all the money, gas and time you will be saving them. BTW, what method do you use to tune your car? And how exactly do you do it? After each run? What tuning changes do you do between runs if that's what you do?
    Michael
    In GA waving from '02 C5 LS1, Z51, D1SC, 60lb injectors,RPM level 5-4L60E, 3:42, Yank 3600, QA1-12 ways, MTI long headers, high flow cats, Borlas, Wilwood, 603rwhp, 542rwtq.(DynoJet 248-C) 10.89@127.57 on street tires, Race Weight 3,640 lbs

Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by D-millar View Post
    thanks for the advice guys! i just got back for racing and my car ran a 13.0 at 105mph the conditions where hot! and i had some horiable short times but still had a blast.
    105 mph with a 3,500 lb car equates to about 316rwhp which is probably somewhere around 372 hp at the fly wheel. So you have added about 47 hp. Stock would probably run around 13.4.
    The fly wheel estimate is using a 15% loss factor.
    Last edited by GA Country Boy; 08-06-2006 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Added some more info

Stock our cars are 350@ the flywheel.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by D-millar View Post
    What altitude are you at? Plus hot weather makes the actual density altitude worse. If you are not at sea level you won't be seeing actual full horsepower potential from your engine in the real world due to less volumetric efficiency, where as the chassis dyno results are corrected figures that consider altitude power loss with other factors to generate a corrected rwhp figure. So therefor your mile an hour at the track will give you a calculation of how much hp your making at the given density altitude in real world conditions. Where as the chassis dyno gives you max rwhp readings based off an idealized correction factor that compensates for density altitude. The dyno is a good reference for tuning and comparing performance gains from upgrades, but the track is also very beneficial too for tuning if you have the resources. I say just take your car to the dyno and see what she'll do! Plus run at the track and have a good time.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by GA Country Boy View Post
    Your concept about tuning for a mix of gas mileage and 1/4 mile performance is very interesting. The next time you are at a National meet remember to tell John Force, Greg Anderson and all the other top competitors that they are wasting their time tuning on dynos. I am sure thay will listen to you and appreciate all the money, gas and time you will be saving them. BTW, what method do you use to tune your car? And how exactly do you do it? After each run? What tuning changes do you do between runs if that's what you do?
    Good points, but also remember we are talking about mostly daily driven street/strip cars on this forum, not super dollar 4 second drag cars. I think it's safe to say that tuning methods between the two have considrably different factors involved albeit similar methods for testing and tuning(dyno,track). Plus John Force and the top fuel and funny car guys and everybody does do there final tuning on the car based on data from the track runs, hence the use of super high dollar data logging equipment utilized during track runs. Because the car does respond differently in the real world vs. the dyno. I think its safe to say that under ideal circumstances an individual or race team for that matter, would be best benefited to be able to utilize tuning under both dyno and track conditions. However not every average ls1 hot rodder, or any other for that matter, has the resources and or equipment and money to tune an efi setup on the dyno and at the track.

Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by perkdaddy08 View Post
    Stock our cars are 350@ the flywheel.
    What cars are "our cars"?. I see members here with Trans Ams, Z28's, '70 chevelle, Mustang, vettes and others (you don't even tell us what you have). Do they ALL have "350hp@ the flywheel"?The initiator of this thread has a 2001 Trans Am ws6 and that's what I was referring to which was advertised at 320 hp, but went to 325hp in 2001.

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by GA Country Boy View Post
    What cars are "our cars"?. I see members here with Trans Ams, Z28's, '70 chevelle, Mustang, vettes and others (you don't even tell us what you have). Do they ALL have "350hp@ the flywheel"?The initiator of this thread has a 2001 Trans Am ws6 and that's what I was referring to which was advertised at 320 hp, but went to 325hp in 2001.
    Well figuring this is "LS1.com" I would presume he meant LS1 cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information