chuckt619

Smoke coming from hood

I have an 02 z 28 that I got serviced about 3 weeks ago. I had an over heating problem and it was the radiator cap causing the problem. So I had that replaced and the colling system flushed out. Today i saw smoke coming from the hood but the car was not over heating (at least not according to the gauge). Right before it happened i noticed a strong smell of coolant. i looked under the hood and did see any leaks or anything. Does anyone know why it could be doing this. The car is still running strong and also the car is bone stock. Thanks for the help.

Charles

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Look at the level in the overflow jug-there is a dipstick to check the level with.If that's OK (maybe they overfilled it alittle)then it probably was just some coolant setting someplace under the hood that got hot and steamed up.If they overfilled it then it was just leaking out the excess.Keep an eye on the level for a few more days.

chuckt619
    Yeah i just drove it again and noticed when i am on hill or when i hit the brakes is when it happens. After three weeks this shouldn't being happening now uh? i just saw also it is coming from the right side of the engine and that is where the cap is.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

3 weeks is a long time for coolant to be sloshing around.That's also where the overflow bottle is-what's the level ?

chuckt619
    Just above the halfway mark. Something else i forgot, I drove the car alot today and the past three weeks i really haven't drove it. There is no coolant inside the hood anywhere's. Is is possible there is a leak and coolant is hitting the block somehow and is evaping before i can catch it?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

yeah-tomorrow take a hose and rinse out under the hood-let it dry-and then look for coolant. Probably just some spilled in there some where.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

check to see if you have any coolant on the kmember...could be a leak from elsewhere.

chuckt619
    I just read someone post about over heating. This is my first Camaro. You don't think it could be a head gasket? The car is running fine. What about the water pump? Would it be pretty noticably if it were one of these. Thanks again for all your help and i like th picture under your name.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Yeah-at the temps these things run at any type of pressure loss(leak) would overheat the car.If you're not losing coolant(level in the bottle stays the same)then you don't have a leak.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

was it one of my posts you read?? im hoping it isnt. it seems to be a pretty common coincidence. there is a hole in the WP, that when its goes bad, you will leak coolant out of it. if thats not going on, then its another problem...id also try reaching behind the intake manifold and feeling the coolant lines where they meet on the heads and feel to check it ifs wet. another simple thing to do is unplug the coolant line on the front of the driver head, turn the car on and wait till you dont see anymore bubbles coming out.

chuckt619
    Thanks for all the help guys I am going to try thoses things first thing in the morning (can't see outside right now and i live in a apartment complex). i will keep you posted. Thanks again guys.

Charles

Thread Information