YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Question 98 Z28: does this sound like an ignition switch problem?

This ever happen to you?

About a couple of weeks ago, I got in my 98 Z to go home from the office, and turned the key and got nothing but the usual dashboard light show, with all my warning lights coming on, but no cranking of the starter. I popped the hood, all my cables were connected fine, but I'm NOT a mechanic so I have no clue.

I tried and tried and tried to get it to turn over but nothing. The lights seemed to be working, the power windows worked fine so I don't think the battery or alternator is having a problem. I closed the hood, got back in and after several more tries, suddenly the engine fired to life and the car ran fine.

So after about a couple of weeks of it starting and running okay, the same thing happened to me last night and now this morning, again, no starty... but what's weird is that after trying to turn it over and all the dash warning lights come on, when I turn the ignition key off, the "SECURITY" light is staying on for a short time.

I'm taking the car in this morning to get it fixed but does anybody have a clue what's going on here? I'm guessing that it's time to replace either the ignition switch or the starter, or maybe even the battery or alternator?

Your replies are greatly appreciated!
    Steve
    1998 Black Z28 Pro 5.0 shifter, Borla Catback, DirectFlo Lid, !CAGS

pet_monk
    K you check cables but which ones... with all the accessories coming on... i would check the power and ground for the starter... especially if the starter doesn't even click.... even a starter with a dead spot should click when it is trying to turn over... i can't think of anything else on that

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

it's your PASS-II system....the resistor on your key may be worn...or the ignition cylinder may be worn where the resistor contacts it. Do you have a spare key with the resistor on the ignition key? If you do, try it...if it still doesn't work the prob is in the ignition cylinder

05 Wrangler

oh...the PASS-II is the anti-theft security system that came from the factory...car won't start without the resistance value from the key matching up with the car...good luck

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    oh...the PASS-II is the anti-theft security system that came from the factory...car won't start without the resistance value from the key matching up with the car...good luck
    I thought about that. My key does look a litte worn out...
    I have a spare key and I started looking for it but, crap I was late for work and I couldn't find it.
    It just may be the problem...
    thanks!

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

well after having my car for most of the day they determined it was the PASS II system sensor is going out. Should be about $240 to fix, the guy at Chevy service dept. said when I called and asked him about it. Now I have to take it to the dealer!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Bummer!

05 Wrangler

is this a double post?? Least you found the problem...that's the hard part

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    is this a double post?? Least you found the problem...that's the hard part
    yeah you busted me! I put it on AAG also to get exposure since when the day began, i had no idea what the deal was...

Pepe LePew
    Usually that kind of thing is a faulty starter relay and a cheap fix. I don't know why the security system would even act that way, but it's possible.

pet_monk
    K Don't I feel stupid. Have done most of my work on old lincolns and mercurys, and entirely forgot about the resistor on the key. Even though I see it everyday, but I am pretty know to the whole F-body scence. 240 isn't too terrible, my power sunroof switch went out on a 91 lincoln and they wanted 90 or a little circuit board with a few components and a switch.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

You could bypass the Passkey thing with a resistor that matches the resistor in the key.The wiring comes out of the steering column-just splice it in-if your a mechanic it's not too hard to figure out.I've done ti before-just make sure the connections are tight and won't come back loose.Oh-and the "security" light should be coming on if the Passkey won't let it start-I suppose that could be different if the module is screwed up.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Well after $400+ I have a new set of keys and a new sensor in my ignition switch. What a weird problem. The car runs great but the key sensor goes out...
    Ya never know...

Thread Information