Black
    2000 Trans Am WS-6

Edelbrock shorty header install

hi, im about to order edelbrock shorty headers, and i was wondering how difficult the install would be. has anyone here done this install, and what did it take to get it done? i know someone with an LT-1 that had to drop his k member in order to install them...any information would be appreciated...thanks!

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

I installed Pacesetter

I installed Pacesetter Shorties on my 2000 Z28 and didn't experiece any real problems. The EGR and air connnections can be difficult to bolt-up (clearance issues with fingers). I changed plugs and wires at the same time. You will have to agree with that when you have the headers removed and see for yourself. Passenger side header is a bit more difficult but doable. Everthing slides in from the bottom. The cats (bolts) were heat froze so spray them down after you remove so they will be soaking while you attack the install. In fact spray down all the bolts well in advance of removing. It took mine at least 24hrs to soak through. Take your time and get a 1/2" drive and at least 12" extension with breaker bar in case. Busting the exhaust pipe bolts loose at the header (collector) is next to impossible with a 3/8 drive and long extension if like mine. Good luck and get it done. Shorties, CB, and Lid did make a noticeable difference ...no they are not gains of LT's but work fine in my case and street legal any state.
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Whats up bro...you're from Washington NJ?? I'm from Hackettstown, right next door. I work in Washington, you may have seen my car around.

Have you considered Long Tube headers over the shorties?? You probably want to keep your cats and stock Y-pipe, which is understandable in NJ. However, LT's can be had for relatively cheap, JEGS has Heddman Headers for $234 and a matching Y-pipe for $113, which can't be beat.

The thing with Shorties is that they don't provide much of a gain, since the stock manifolds flow pretty well for cast iron units. They are almost like shorties actually. Some guys go with Mid-lengths, but then you need to remove the stock cats/y-pipe anyway, so you might as well go with longtubes anyway.

As for the emissions issue, my buddy on this forum 9t8z28 found a shop that will tune your car complete with dyno runs for a very reasonable price. They can also delete the codes for the EGR, AIR, and rear O2 sensors, so when you go through inspection and they plug into the OBD2 port, everything will check out. Heres their website: www.HarrisSpeedWorks.com

Let me know if you need a hand with the install or anything or if you have any other questions, just send me a PM.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

The hardest part of the install is getting the old shit out of there. Use plenty of liquid wrench. Don't worry about the manifold-to-Y bolts, just break them if you have to. Same with the y-to-cat bolts too. Shorties are the easiest to install, you could probably drop both in from the top. And you shouldn't need to drop the K-member, never heard of anyone doing that for a header install, longtubes or otherwise.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS-6

thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it, no long tubes for me!!!

PS. im not bro, im a chick

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Are you going to get a new y-pipe also?
    And try to get the race style if you can, the emissions hookups are a bitch to seal up correctly. I have a leak at my EGR connection, but that's on my longtubes, not shorties.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    Are you going to get a new y-pipe also?
    And try to get the race style if you can, the emissions hookups are a bitch to seal up correctly. I have a leak at my EGR connection, but that's on my longtubes, not shorties.
    not immediately but eventually that is a definitely possibility...not exactly sure where im gonna go with it yet

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I was considering doing shorty headers, what kind of gains do they get? I live in CA, so it's my only option over the stock manifolds.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    I was considering doing shorty headers, what kind of gains do they get? I live in CA, so it's my only option over the stock manifolds.
    Not much. Not worth the gains IMO.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

ya, not much I can do to my car while keeping it street legal while living here. but the weather kicks ass. it's a good trade off.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Well I'm in Florida where it's warm year round and we can do whatever we want to our cars :P We do have hurricanes though

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    Well I'm in Florida where it's warm year round and we can do whatever we want to our cars :P We do have hurricanes though
    ya, hurriances are a bummer. you get ear infections and all kinds of nasty stuff if you go to the beaches around here too much. haha, I wont even get in the water at Huntington. but ya, I hear Florida is pretty nice, probably why all the old people move there. is it like Jurassic Park or what?

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Yeah it's pretty Jrassic alright. Honestly the only good thing about living here is that there is no emmissions or inspection or anything. The rest pretty much sucks.

Awaiting Activation BlackBeastLS1's Avatar

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

I have the edelbrock shorties and am very dissapointed once the install was over i couldnt tell a difference in performance or sound they were a huge waste of money.

Yeah spending money without results sucks. I just spent $600.00 on a dyno tune and my car seemed to feel better before the tune. At least you can see your headers.

Ross

Black
    2001 Camaro z28

yeah take them out and get some lts.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I live in the Bay Area and could only opt with the JBA shorties. And I tell you what...even with out a tune, with the following mods I got 331RWHP (that's what, about 375-385 engine HP...accounting for 16% parasitic power loss through the drivetrain?):

On top of stock LS1 engine:

RKSport high-flo lid $125
    FastToys ram-air $200
    1:8 ratio rockers $525
    Flowmaster exhaust $400
    JBA headers $600
    Hypertech PPIII $400

Still hadn't put on the BBK 80mm throttle body, LS6 manifold, or the cutout.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by transws6am00 View Post
    hi, im about to order edelbrock shorty headers, and i was wondering how difficult the install would be. has anyone here done this install, and what did it take to get it done? i know someone with an LT-1 that had to drop his k member in order to install them...any information would be appreciated...thanks!
    will be easy..my LT's were easy even.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Thread Information