Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Need complete rear-end rebuild... thinking of moving to 8.5"

My car has been making this noise from the rearend since I bought it, but has become increasingly louder in the last few months... it sounds like metallic rubbing/clattering when I coast, or turn slowly... it's almost a guarantee that the axle bearings are bad, which is eating a groove into the axle shaft.

now, I have gotten a quote from a shop to replace EVERY component, except the housing on my 7.5" for $1350... but I figure, that seems like a waste of money on such a weak rear-end...

now, I did some research, and the GM 8.5" rear-end is probably what I want... if at all possible, I'd want a simple swap, then have the rear-end rebuilt as necessary...

so my question you guys, is what is involved in switching to the 8.5"?? I know they can handle much more power than I will ever throw at them, and the price of a 12-bolt/Moser is way out of my range...

I'd feel like I was stabbed in the back if I rebuild this crummy-old 7.5" which is why I wanna do the swap...

is there any way to keep my rear disc, ABS, and TCS? Thanks because those are eseential to me...

wish i knew

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I'd love to get the 8.5" but I have no idea how to bring over the ABS and TCS... or the discs, for that matter... because I think I need all-new axles too...

i switched from a 7.5 to a 8.5 in my S10 and used camaro rear disk from a 4th gen on my 8.5, was a direct swap, as for the TCS and ABS i dont have those...

yellow
    2002 TransAm collector ed

I have a 7.5 with 410 gears for $200 if anyone is interested. Added 100 shot of juice so I upgraded to a Moser 12 bolt with 411 gears, 35 spline axles.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Does anyone know how much better, and how much work there is involved with putting the Moser 7.5" on these cars?

They sell at about $475 on Moser's website... but what does that include? Does that have ALL the internals, or just the limited-slip part, or what??

Also, would the Moser 7.5" be a direct swap?

yellow
    2002 TransAm collector ed

If you're going Moser why get a 7.5? 8.5 is the smallest carrier you should even think of getting. What you should do is save up for a while and get a Moser 12 bolt with a detroit locker. My buddy Bob Beam at Exotic Performance Plus has sold over 60 Mosers with this locker and has yet to have a complaint!

My 12 bolt was fairly simple to install. I did have to go get some 3" exhaust u bolts to mount the sway bar to the larger axle tube and while I was down there I installed lower control arm relocation brackets. Other than that, I had no problems w the u joints, shock and spring locations, or the abs sensor. Fyi, if you go ford 9" you lose ABS. Check out EPP's web site.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

My vote would be for a new 12 bolt instead. No way would I dump that kinda cash into a 10 bolt rear. You have an a4 like I do but that still doesn't mean a 10 bolt will last. My posi was going out so I bought a Strange 12 bolt that was a complete bolt in. Strange has sway bar mounts already on the rear so no need to get the U-bolts, they have the through bolt torque arm mount instead of the 4 small bolts the moser has which are famous for causing problems, and they show up pre-assembled so you never have to turn a wrench on them. All of this for just a few hundred more than your 10 bolt rebuild. Check out billingsleyracing.com

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

so with the Strange 12-bolt... I will be able to keep my ABS and TCS... and there's absolutely no modification required?? works with stock axles and everything?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The Strange rear is a complete bolt in. It comes with axles and abs/tcs sensors. The only thing I had to do was solder on my plug for my abs but I have a 3 channel rear with the reluctor inside the pumpkin. A 4 channel rear uses the reluctor wheel on the axles. You can have them build either right into the rear. I caught it during a sale billingsley was having and got 5% off. I think it worked out to $2600 shipped but I also got the upgraded cover with the bearing cap studs.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

hrm... damn that's a tuff decision... I don't plan on turning my car into a drag racer... and I can have it rebuilt to stock specs with new axles and everything for $1300... that's half the price, and it's possible it will last the life of the car...

ugh...

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    hrm... damn that's a tuff decision... I don't plan on turning my car into a drag racer... and I can have it rebuilt to stock specs with new axles and everything for $1300... that's half the price, and it's possible it will last the life of the car...

ugh...
    It's more than half really, worse comes to worse you could find a used 12 bolt for 1800 or so.

I would NOT put $1300 into something that "might" work. If you're not willing to go 12 bolt/s60/9inch then I would just continue to limp along on a 10 bolt. But otherwise just hack up the $$ for it. Even if you never dragrace the peace of mind is nice...

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

well if an aftermarket rear is $2600 + labor... then having the stock rebuilt is less than half...

I don't think my rear is bad though, just the axle bearings.... how do you know when the actual differential is going out?

and I don't know if I'll be able to find a used 12-bolt that has the ABS and TCS... seems a bit tough since anyone that has one, either paid $3000 for it, or had a standard 12-bolt customized...

Thread Information