Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

94 Vette...good..or bad?

Alright..so I have a choice here. Im an 18 yo kid with a clean driving record and im willing to make a sacrafice to ruin that by buying a sports car. Now here is my delema..I want an older sports car because I like the classics...and its enough power for me at this age so I dont get myself into too much trouble..or dead. Here are the two cars.

1991 L98 Trans Am (67k, $6,000)
    1994 LT1 C4 Corvette 113k, $10,000 [guy said he would come down on price])

I test drove the corvette today and it is freaking AWESOME....ive test driven LS1 Camaros and Trans Ams but something just felt different in the Corvette. Its handling was spectacular. Now I know the LT1's arent rated in horsepower as high as the LS1s....but the handling and overall quality of the car caught my attention.

please help me out!!!

MahiDude
    Lt-1 maybe not be an Ls-1 , but I guarantee you they are plenty fast. They lagged a bit on the HP side, but I do believe they still had pretty high torque numbers. You're still going to beat the crap out of mustangs...

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

beating the crap outta mustangs will make my day...can anyone else help me with this decision?

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Prices on both cars seem a bit high to me. For that price, the T/A better be mint.

If you look at the LT1 cars, do some research on the Opti-Spark. I test drove a LT1 Vette earlier this summer, the research I did helped me realize that the Opti was on it's way out.

Black
    2002 Corvette Z06

Yes ask/ look at the opti spark to see if it has the hard top or the gell top. The hard top ones tend to get water in them and rust then it cost big bucks to put a new one on. It cost me $1,200 to get a new one. but other than that LT-1s are good motors just don't plan on modifing it cause theres not much out there

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

So better money/power ratio on the T/A?

Red
    1997 Corvette

the price on the T/A seems really high. i bought a '91 L98 Camaro in '01 for $4,500. It was bone stock, mint condition, and it had 88k. With just a little work (headers, exhaust) it was running 13.99@101.

the price on the vette also seems a little high, but not as bad compared to the T/A.

vehicle specific parts will be a little more expensive for the vette compared to that of the T/A just because its a vette.

if you decide to go with the T/A, i have a ton of brand new parts left over from my '91 camaro that never got installed, that i would be willing to sell for cheap.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Quote Originally Posted by troy9483 View Post
    the price on the T/A seems really high. i bought a '91 L98 Camaro in '01 for $4,500. It was bone stock, mint condition, and it had 88k. With just a little work (headers, exhaust) it was running 13.99@101.

the price on the vette also seems a little high, but not as bad compared to the T/A.

vehicle specific parts will be a little more expensive for the vette compared to that of the T/A just because its a vette.

if you decide to go with the T/A, i have a ton of brand new parts left over from my '91 camaro that never got installed, that i would be willing to sell for cheap.
    PM me..let me know what you have...things could change my mind and be good for both of us

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

the price on the vette seems high and i dont know about the t/a.

1 thing to think about before getting a vette (even a C4) is that they are expensive to fix. parts are expensive but they are nice cars.
    they are easy to get high mileage out of. i've seen 1 C4 at my dealership with 195,000 miles on it. and it still looked great.

for $10,000 u can get an LS1 with way lower mileage than that vette.

Admiral Blue
    1995 Corvette Coupe

94 Vette .. good ..or bad?

A T/A is just a T/A. But, a Corvette is still the car that 99.99% of all young, red-blooded American males or females love on so many levels. Do your research on the 'vette, run a Car Fax, bring it to your neighborhood mechanic and have it checked out. If it is all good, offer the guy $7,000. With that kind of mileage, that is a great offer. If he takes it, then, begin replacing stuff that needs replacing a bit at a time. The C4 is a great combination of technology and good prices.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

i know of a really nice lookin mid 90s vette goin for $7k with under 100k miles (i dont remember how many) just fyi...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

i got my 98 LS1 for just under 8k, full bolt ons, LT's the works lol
    Last edited by ApexVIII; 09-29-2007 at 04:49 PM.
    M6, Lid, Ported and Polished Throttle Body (By Me!), LT, Custom Catted Y, Electric Cutout, PHB, LCA13.21@108 with a 2.3 60'

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Admiral View Post
    A T/A is just a T/A. But, a Corvette is still the car that 99.99% of all young, red-blooded American males or females love on so many levels.
    I disagree. I'd take a low mileage, super clean 3rdgen over a regular C4 ANY day of the week.
    -98 GTP Coupe. Silvermist and stock.

-89 GTA*** L98, P1-SC, 24# SVO's, MSD 6-A, March underdrive pulleys, Edelbrock headers/catback and some other goodies.

~Tony

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Alright...

Me = 18 y/o kid w/ great full time job...but still lives at home..and my parents arent rich lol

The LT1 will have alot more power than the L98...that...AND. because its in the vette it will have better handling and better performance right off the bat.

I wish I had money for a nice 4th gen LS1 F-Body I really do..but financially I just cant afford it..I would really like to have something though that can at least beat most things on the street around here...not only that but I like the cockpit feel of the vette.

Junior Member Lethal Tendencies's Avatar

millenium yellow
    2000 corvette

Vette will hold its value longer and will be easier to re-sell. If you can talk him down on the price a little ,I think you have a good buy.

Jet Stream Blue
    2009 Lingenfelter ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Tendencies View Post
    Vette will hold its value longer and will be easier to re-sell. If you can talk him down on the price a little ,I think you have a good buy.

Good point there, but if he wants an LS1 F-body, they can be had for under 10 grand easily.
    2009 JSB Lingenfelter ZR1

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Quote Originally Posted by BlownC5 View Post
    Good point there, but if he wants an LS1 F-body, they can be had for under 10 grand easily.
    im actually going to hopefully go and buy an '01 Firehawk today...omg wish me luck this car makes me orgasm lol.....its a 6 speed and everything i could ever want in a firebird

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by white99x View Post
    im actually going to hopefully go and buy an '01 Firehawk today...omg wish me luck this car makes me orgasm lol.....its a 6 speed and everything i could ever want in a firebird
    how much?

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

got it for 15,700 out the door

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

Quote Originally Posted by white99x View Post
    got it for 15,700 out the door
    Great price, what was the mileage?

Thread Information