blue
    2002 Z-28

Fluctuating Voltage???

Hey....

My 02 Z-28 has an ongoing problem with the voltage being very erratic, and almost unstable, to the point where my lights and acc's. are pulsating! Almost makes it impossible to drive at night. I thought I had a blown diode in the alternator, which is no longer a servicable part, had to buy a rebuilt, today the new one crapped out too. Any ideas? I am also having a lot of oil consumption, no leaks no smoke, but 1- 1 1/2 qts. over 3000 mile is a lot.
    How does this relate to the rest of the world??
    Thanks Kevin

Assuming your battery/connections are good. Put a digital volt meter on it and doublecheck. FWIW my buddy had his alt go out (low voltage) and put in two parts store "rebuilt" ones before finally giving up and buying a new GM unit which solved the problem. My car uses about a quart every 3K, always has. Sorry not much help...

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Check your ground on the alt and battery connections, make sure there clean and tight and take alt back and see what the deals is or have it bench tested. I personaly havent had any luck what so ever with rebuilt alt's from say chinazone or so forth.
    Its common for an ls1 to burn some oil do to the build of the internals.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

blue
    2002 Z-28

I just heard back from the dealer, they wanted to put a new alt on the Z, but I had the old one in the trunk, as now I don't think that the alt is the prob. The new one acted just as screwy as the original, I told them to put the old one back on, ( I am returning the rebuilt) and then they have to do the diagonistics. According to the GM service cd I have, the field is controlled by the body computer, so I am hoping they can just reflash it and get things back to normal. I have seen used computers on e bay for about $60.00. but they also control the odometer, and I would probably need to get it reflashed too. Anyone else have this problem or is it just my luck.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Aluminum engines have a greater expansion rate than cast iron block ones. They are built with looser tolerances that tighten up when warm,so it's normal for oil consumption to be greater than you would think they should be (due to the cold tolerances being looser).

you by chance running an underdrive pulley?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Sometimes the rebuilders do not replace the diodes-they are expensive. It certainly sounds like a diode problem. I would go with a new GM alternator like was suggested,realizing this isn't the cheapest answer. Having the computer reflashed to change the field voltage?-Unless there was some kind of fault there this isn't going to change the field voltage levels. It would have to be a faulty connection or bad ground causing the field voltage to flucuate. Doesn't seem likely given the symptoms.

black
    2000 camaro z28

I have the same problem in my 2000 z28. Lights pulsate at night which is annoying. Dealer said it was battery. I changed out the battery which didnt solve the problem.

did the new alt solve the problem?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Don't be a cheap ass, just buy a new alt. You don't have to get it from the dealer to be new...autoparts stores also sell new alt's that are still less then the dealer units.

I go through about 1 1/2 qts also...with my catch can being 1/4-1/2 full depending on how hard i've been running her. Some use oil and some don't...

Thread Information